Guide on How to raise Elo, by chu8

12345 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

chu8

11-28-2012

Herro, this is chu8, you might know me from various places such as DotA, HoN, LoL, and Hello Kitty Online. I wrote an article about Elo hell a while ago, an in-depth guide on understanding what Elo hell is and how it works. Here is the link,

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2097221

This time, I'd like to talk about one thing that 99% of all solo Q players want. Wait for it.. wait for it......... How to ride a bike! Okay, maybe not. Well, in that previous article I wrote, I mentioned that there are 2 ways of gaining Elo in League of Legends,

1. "Ride" the high end of your Elo range, or
2. Get better as a player.

Now both are worth trying when you are trying to gain Elo, in fact you will have to use both of these strategies if you truly want to raise your Elo. In this article, I will be talking about the first method. To better understand what I mean by "Elo range", refer to my other guide on understanding Elo hell. It's a good read anyway, I promise. Without further ado, let's get into it.

Control your Physical Readiness

What do I mean by this? It's not like we are bout to do some heavy lifting or something, right? WRONG. We are going to heavy lift this Elo up like its nobody else's business. In all seriousness, your physical well-being is directly related to how well you do in games. And I'm not talking about obvious physical disabilities, I'm talking about how ready you are as a human being to function properly at the most basic level. Okay, now what the hell am I talking about? Let's do some quick pop quiz, I know how much you love them!

Question 1. When do you play better?
A. Well fed
B. Hungry
C. With delicious food right in your eyes, but can't eat cause in a ranked game

Question 2. When do you play better?
A. Well hydrated
B. Thirsty
C. Thirsty in a different way, been a while since you sunk your teeth in that tasty looking human necks

Question 3. When do you play better?
A. Body well relaxed and stretched
B. Body tired
C. Hands tied behind, on a running machine, with flashing disco lights in the room

Question 4. When do you play better?
A. Fully-awake
B. Half-asleep
C. Sleep-walking

Question 5. When do you play better?
A. Both your bladder and large intestine are in good control
B. Been holding in number 1 for hours
C. Been holding in number 2 for days
D. Currently experiencing number 3

If your answers to these are not A, I don't know much else to tell you, but congratulations you just discovered one of the most useless superpowers in the world. I'd also like to mention that it is not that hard to keep your body in check. Just imagine ranked games as a warzone, and you better come well-equipped, unless bringing a butter knife into a gunfight is your kind of thing.

Control your Mental Readiness

The body is ready, but what about the mind? It doesn't take 5 years of training in the deep mountains with monks to agree that healthy mind is just as important as healthy body. But exactly how do you know you are in a good state of mind? Ask yourselves this question right before every single ranked queue.

"Do I have an hour of complete freedom to concentrate my everything on this one ranked game?"

If yes, proceed.
If no, no means no. And this is not the same "no" from women.

Champion Selection

Once you decide that you are in good physical and mental condition for a solid game of League, you now have to make the most game-changing decision of the game you just got into. Champion selection. Two big factors you need to consider here, top tier champion, that you are good at.

I looked at couple of recently updated tier lists, including http://www.reignofgaming.net/tier-lists/solo-tier-list, then I looked at highest win rate champions in different divisions in http://www.lolking.net/charts, mixed it with my personal experience in the games I've played and watched, came to a very very short list of top tier champions. But I cannot reveal this list as of yet, since it will need a lot of explanation, I will think about writing a series of guides (prolly video guides) on why these top tier champs are top tier, and how to use them effectively.

For now, just do this. Go into that solo tier list link above and spam the champions listed as Tier 1 and Tier 2 given that you are relatively good with those champs. I guarantee you will be winning more than 50% of your games, which means you will be gaining Elo.

Dodge if Necessary

Since you do not lose Elo for dodging anymore (now it is 30 minutes wait til next game for first dodge, increased by 30 minutes for consecutive dodges, don't know when this is capped, or timer reset), you should look into dodging games that are unfavorable. This may sound a little nerdy, but you need to check the stats of your entire team before going into the actual game. 3 key things you want to check.

1. Did most players get their best champs?
-It is important that at least the majority of the players got their best champs. Meaning that they have decent win-rate and games played with the champs that they just selected. If, say a player picked a champ with a personal record of 2 wins and 10 loses with really bad KDA ratio, dodge. If a player was forced into a role that you think he/she will perform extremely poorly, dodge. If a player or two got champs that they are barely okay with, but the rest got their most played, relatively high win rate champs, game on.
[Example 1]
AD AP or feed : mid
Best Mid NA : im mid, son
AD AP or feed : then ADC
Octalift : im ADC, son
AD AP or feed : (forced into support, picks soraka)
(you proceed to check stats of everyone, and this AD AP or feed guy has soraka stats of 0 win 25 loses, average K/D/A of 0.5/12.3/6.1)
DODGE

2. Did most players pick good champs?
-Self explanatory

3. Does the team comp make sense?
-This is somewhat of an advanced concept, since you need quite a lot of experience to grasp the idea of a sensible team comp. It is also extremely hard to categorize types of team comps as there can be hundreds of them that could work pretty well. But there is one thing for sure. Balanced team comp is reliable, and in most cases, works. A balanced team comp should have,
-Reliable Initiator
-Reliable Crowd Control (stun, slow, snare, etc)
-Reliable Damage Absorbtion
-Reliable Physical DPS
-Reliable Magic DPS

Now since it is very easy to have more than one of these in a champ (i.e. Maokai fulfills all but DPS), it is not all that hard to have all 5 in a team. If a team is missing some of these key aspects, it is likely (although exceptions apply) that the team comp is weak.

Control your Frustration

This is perhaps the most difficult step out of everything I mentioned so far. You put on your tryhard pants, went out of your way to make a winning environment, and still have feeders and ragers. WHAT DO!? Well, here's the thing. The harder you try, the more frustrating it will get. If somebody in the game is getting on your nerve, put him on ignore. If somebody is feeding uncontrollably, force a group fight by pushing a tower together as 5, or doing Dragon. If people keep getting caught, again force a group action. If the team is not listening, then simply focus on getting yourself farmed and try to make best out of your situation (sucks if you are support at this spot). Whatever you do, Don't feed the trolls. It is infinitely better to not type anything at all than to argue and point fingers. Remember, you are in the world of internetz where nobody ever backs down from their opinions. Even after all this however, some people are just impossible to deal with. Sometimes I really think there's actual tribes of trolls out there, and whoever is distributing computers / internet to them deserves a good spanking.

Conclusion

I truly believe that if you follow these steps, you will surely raise your Elo and claim your bragging rights to your buddies.

If you enjoyed this post, you may also enjoy my stream!

www.twitch.tv/chu8

chu out!

YungElext

11-28-2012

Friendly bump and also good guide .

Thought

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-28-2012

You should include verbal encouragement to the team. Helps quite a bit when you're behind.

oqwnM

11-28-2012

Daym.
+1

chu8

11-28-2012

^ that is true!

Rezengu

11-28-2012

Hopefully this stops the " CAN YOU WIN RANKED GAMES?" type of threads

LargeSnorlax

11-28-2012

Guide to raising elo:

Eat Whoppers.

UltimateCheese

11-28-2012

I like it! +1

mslave

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-28-2012

good guide chu

TrolImanship

11-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chu8 View Post
Question 1. When do you play better?
A. Well fed
B. Hungry
C. With delicious food right in your eyes, but can't eat cause in a ranked game
I choose
D. With delicious food that I am eating while in a ranked game

12345 ... 9