Tanks, OP?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

minervastouch

10-09-2010

I am a new player i have played dota for years so perhaps my vision is bias, but it seems that tanks deal so much damage for giving very little up. Every game that I play that is tank heavy that team wins. What champions can I play to take down tanks quickly without being owned because I am in the front line. I don't know if its just because they are stacking life or their natural armor progression.

Please help I am tired of being dominated by tanks all game because by the time we can focus down one character were dead. Tanks for some reason all seem have disable as well ^_^.

Vijaya

10-09-2010

Amumu and Kog'maw both have very strong anti-tank abilities.

Otherwise, congrats, you've figured out the current metagame.

RJJ7

10-09-2010

Amumu is a tank himself though...

Amaterasuomikami

10-09-2010

TANKS: Alistair, Galio, Rammus, Shen, Amumu

The rest arent 'tanks' they are 'Beefy' or 'Have Survivability'

Just throwing that out there

Thistlemin

10-09-2010

Olaf if you know how to use him. True Damage. But Olaf is a tough one to coordinate with a team, because his playstyle is much more aggressive than some teammates will be willing to play. Which leaves you stranded behind enemy lines sometimes when you think your team will back up your charge, but the do not.

Tristana, Olaf, Miss Fortune, Ashe

Zielmann

10-09-2010

Unfortunately, this is just the current play style right now. You see a lot of teams made up of 5 off tanks, or a combination of 4 tanks/off tanks with one good carry.

The reason is that, just as you noticed, tanks have become pretty much self-sufficient anymore. They can deal out obscene amounts of damage with straight tank builds.

Galio, even as a tank, hits reasonably hard, and is difficult to take down (though I feel he more threatening played as a caster).

Garen has always been able to put out crazy damage because of armor pen. No need to stack damage items on him, because then he just dies too easily. He's more scary simply by being able to stick around much longer.

And the list continues: Amumu, Mordekaiser (a solid off tank), even Vlad (not really a tank, but gets enough HP that he can last a good bit of time and be annoying), can all put down some reasonably high damage without necessarily building for it.

Amumu is probably the weakest of all these by himself. But there's a theme here: Amumu has been around for a long time now, since before the current game style. The others I've mentioned are all fairly new champions, and have managed to render some champs near useless solely by their existence.

For example, Teemo used to be seen in almost every game (talking a year ago, back in beta). Back then, teams usually had one solid tank, either two casters or two phys champs, and a solid support champ. A pretty 'classic' team make-up would have been Kayle, Ashe or Teemo, Annie, Zilean, Blitzcrank. Anyhow, Teemo has never been a great tank-breaker. His role was more to take out the other team's phys carry.

But what if Garen is their 'phys carry'? Teemo can't deal with that. Teemo is not a tankbreaker. Annie can get some very high burst damage, but many champs now have so much HP and MR that they laugh at her damage, even from her full combo. Not only do they laugh at it, but they walk right through it and kill annie while they're at it. This is also part of why Eve is useless at this point. Eve can't pop out and take down a tank. She's supposed to go in, take out the carry, and get out. She just can't actually burst enough damage to take out all the tanky champs out now.

(I think you get my point by now: I'm not a fan of where the game has gone :P)

As for the tanks having all the disables, that was kind of the point. Amumu, one of the strongest tanks in the game at the moment, is meant to bandage toss in, stun one, and then ult. This holds the team in place while amumu's team can come in a get some easy damage on the enemy. So the tanks are kinda meant to be the initiators, and what better way to initiate than to put out some AOE CC of some sort.

At least, that's the current status of the game.

For breaking tanks, your best bet at the moment is probably Kog'Maw. He has a good passive for it, and works well with a bloodrazor. You just have to get enough HP and defense on him that he can survive long enough to take down a tank (or two, three....)

A Retarded Clown

10-09-2010

he's right. Tanks are meant to ini, but at this point there more there to sort of carry, soak damage and push all by themselves. Tank team....get into team fights. GG. HOWEVER..kiting works well early gmae and if you have a baller early game then u might win..might. Because even a tank team 25-10 down, will rape late game beacuse they got innate damage, they just need those relatively cheap survival items to become destructive. The nature of the damage is also scary, they have lots of BURST damage, not damage over time. THat's just stupid.

However, if ur team has ltos of dps, u can backdoor the hell out of them. Unfortunately, lots of tanks/off tanks are extremely fast, take fortify and/or teleport...so bding doesn't work, they'll say "BD really" as if though its something disgraceful compared to their disgusting stacking of boring OP tanks that cant be taken down, but can take u down, and can push with ease too..

minervastouch

10-09-2010

Ironically, i tried out soraka. Shes my current answer. With enough AP and good chunk of life/mana she heals like a truck. I can turn mages into semi-tanks with good dps. Its not a complete counter but in the begging of the game played full support her lane control is amazing.

Free mana to you and your ally or double to your self. Its also a decent last hitting tool but even better is the silence on demand. Epic heals single and global with summoner heal spell as well for skirmish/team fights.

build: Locket, boots of mobility (best boots in game.. period) zhoyas ring. stack nice amounts of AP, ryjals staff is an honorable mention because you can provide a decent aoe slow and a good single target slow and silence.

When they focus target me I hit ghost walk and run them in circles and heal my self, and kite tank them fairly decently.

A Retarded Clown

10-09-2010

yeah but when soraka is coupled with tanks...even worse...

Gunflame

10-09-2010

Kogmaw and heavy burst mage with utility like anivia can get rid of tanks (wall splits then from the team)

madreds Bloodrazors is your best choice with champion that has high attack speed..... also a mix team will make it harder for tanks as it is easier to just stack either armor or magic resist instead of both.

There's is also Last whisper and void staff but people dont feel like using them.