Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Banned by friends - Cause we were goofing around - Riot thinks they can track fake ip

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Talnova

11-27-2012

First off I love to say I have nothing against Riot.

But they are really creating a problem for themselves by making statements such as being able to trace fake people ip address and being able to track people with fake ip down.

I am curious how Riot is able to do this as people to my knowledge can fake ip address and not be traced.
This is from customer support
"Yes we are aware of it and we can trace who ever is using fake Ip address and we take action accordingly"

Really care to show me how you guys can do that? Cause as someone who has taken computer and networking classes - I have yet to hear anything about being able to do that. Now if you were the CIA I would more likely believe that statement.

Another problem - I was banned due to friends just goofing around in a game and reporting me.

I have run across tons of people who have trolled me in a game and they don't get banned.

So for example - if one of your team mates dies and says your letting them die in a game.
I say I wasn't - guess what?

Yes you can get banned for that - so good job Riot - you are really going to cause trouble for yourselves and many lawsuits in the future.

Cause it seems alot of children play this game - when you start perm banning accounts when people spent money on this game. You might end up in civil court over freedom of speech and other problems you have with your system. I don't want to give the children any ideas but I am sure you know what problems you will face and you can't really trace people ip address. But if you can - then you would have to ban everyone on comcast,Cox, on a network to stop that from happening.

But yes the one thing you can do is temp ban someones account.

if I get perm banned for saying nothing in a game which I spent money on.
I will see you in court!

I will no longer use chat and I hope more people do this - because this will make it harder for Riot to do anything legally if someone decides to take them to court.

Zaresin

11-27-2012

The computer you log into the game....can log your mac address. Many sites do this. IP addresses change like I change my underwear...Mac Addresses are perm. Its actually easy to figure out who someone is by their mac address and email address. Is their main account email similar to the smurf...do they log in from the same mac address....bet I know whow this is.

Oh and good luck taking a free game company to court. You chose to spend money on a free game. Consider it a donation out of the kindness of your heart. Riot thanks you. However you do not play by their rules...don't let the door hit you on the way out. Toodles.

Luden

Master Recruiter

11-27-2012

if you're as innocent as you claimed, post up your reform card

Zaresin

11-27-2012

Quote:
Luden:

By his tone and attitude throughout that entire post. It was warranted.

Talnova

11-27-2012

Zaresin if that was true then care to explain to me why hackers exist?
if you are using the correct software and hardware- you can't be traced.

If what you say was true hackers would be easily taken to jail and when you spend money on a product and give credit card information it is a purchase.

Might want to look into that

Talnova

11-27-2012

Quote:
Luden:

I never said I was innocent we were goofing around and the other problem I just explained to you with false reporting. Happends alot..

Just try it with a friend and I am willing to bet you money they will get temp banned.

mambawarrior0

11-27-2012

Quote:
Talnova:

I have run across tons of people who have trolled me in a game and they don't get banned.

You know this because.....?

Zaresin

11-27-2012

When you go to any website ending in .onion they tell you not to open anything you have downloaded or view something offline as your mac address is logged as well as your IP address as it broadcasts anything that is in that file that it was opened (usually due to a tracker placed on the file).

Also log into any bill pay service....federal student loan service...it will log your mac address. Trackers are built in to the things you do. Hackers just know their way around it and do not go through the channels that many normal people do.

Also any use of a third party program to limit that access of any trackers helps mask your identity. However, any activity that would normally broadcast soemthing places you at risk. What do you think logging into a program you have to download to the desktop is doing. Broadcasting wear you are.

Fusoyen

11-27-2012

Mac addresses can be cloned/changed. Doesn't mean much more than a ip that also can easily be a proxy's.

Zaresin

11-27-2012

Quote:
Fusoyen:
Mac addresses can be cloned/changed. Doesn't mean much more than a ip that also can easily be a proxy's.

Very true but it is much harder to do than a simple IP change, however, when you log into a service that you must use a desktop client for, it is much harder to hide your identity compared to logging into a website. Not many have that technical know how granted it is easy to locate but most don't understand what it all entails and how to avoid screaming where exactly you are.