Free Skin Unlocks

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MrSnitches

Senior Member

11-27-2012

Here's an idea guys, don't know if it's been stated before or not. So... What if free players were able to unlock skins (maybe a limited amount of skins, or one per champion)?

  • Players would have to play 'X' amount of games with that champion in order to unlock certain skins
  • The more expensive the skin is, the more games a player must play that character with
  • Certain skins might only be unlockable via wins

What do you guys think?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jamaree

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-27-2012

Wouldn't really be cost effective.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MrSnitches

Senior Member

11-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaree View Post
Wouldn't really be cost effective.
Just a question about that: How would that not be cost effective when at least 75% of the skins would be locked unless you purchased them with RP?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jamaree

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSnitches View Post
Just a question about that: How would that not be cost effective when at least 75% of the skins would be locked unless you purchased them with RP?
Because that is still 975 RP being given away for free which is about 10 dollars to every player, they would be hemorrhaging money.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SentinelElite

Senior Member

11-27-2012

I wish they would have some way to earn skins without buying them, however, Jamaree does have a point. maybe if you could unlock only certain skins, and have a limit on how many you can unlock overall, say 3 skins can be unlocked for free. However, they would start losing money though, so idk how to do something like this.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rampant Poncho

Senior Member

11-27-2012

I'm a little confused when you say "free players" since everyone in LoL plays for free. Considering the fact that everything except skins is achievable by playing the game for free, I have to respectfully disagree with the OP that Riot should give away skins for free. There is really no incentive to give away skins for free because people that want a skin really bad are more likely to pay for it. If everyone was able to get a few skins for free Riot would see a huge loss in sales.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jamaree

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentinelElite View Post
I wish they would have some way to earn skins without buying them, however, Jamaree does have a point. maybe if you could unlock only certain skins, and have a limit on how many you can unlock overall, say 3 skins can be unlocked for free. However, they would start losing money though, so idk how to do something like this.
30 dollars of content (10 dollars a skin.) given away for free. There are about 32 million active players, let's say they all play enough to unlock all three skins...that is 960 million dollars given away for free.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Adrian Umbra

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-27-2012

My personal opinion is if Riot does another round of "legacy" skins where they would retire these old skins, instead make them available for players to earn via IP, a certain number of games with the champ, Honor, etc.

This would give players a limited ability to unlock skins without costing Riot much.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jamaree

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Umbra View Post
My personal opinion is if Riot does another round of "legacy" skins where they would retire these old skins, instead make them available for players to earn via IP, a certain number of games with the champ, Honor, etc.

This would give players a limited ability to unlock skins without costing Riot much.
Depends on how many player actually do, let's say that every single one of the 32 million players decided to get one skin during that IP, 320 million down the drain.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Adrian Umbra

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaree View Post
Depends on how many player actually do, let's say that every single one of the 32 million players decided to get one skin during that IP, 320 million down the drain.
That's the thing. These skins would be retired anyway, generating no more revenue during the period in which these would have been sold. Many of the skins in the past that have been of legacy quality have been in the 520 bracket, also, leaving Riot with a little over half the loss you're predicting. These would also still be available for RP for those very impatient players.

It's unlikely that Riot will do another round of legacy skins in the future or choose to implement this system, but I personally think it would be a nice service instead of removing the skins from sale.


12