Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Season 3 Masteries - Arbitrary, Useless Stats

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Armageddon2099

11-26-2012

When I heard that Riot was going to change the Masteries, I was very excited. The old tree had so many Masteries that just felt bad to put points into and they were even talking about Masteries that weren't just stats. However, this new tree seems to make the exact same mistakes as the last tree. The main offender is arbitrary stats that don't provide any real impact. To me, Rune pages have always been a way to supplement early game and Masteries were there to affect your entire game. I'll talk about each tree (except for the last master in each tree, they will get their own section).

Offense Tree:

Fury and Sorcery moved down. Personally, I don't think AS and CDR are really beginning of the tree stats, since they rely so much on AD and AP to be useful

Deadliness and Blast: .6 AD(12 max) per level and 1 AP(18 max) per level. Small numbers like these are fine if you get them immediately. By the time you get the full benefit of these masteries, it's already long past their usefulness, where 12 AD and 18 AP just don't make much of a significant difference.

Havoc: The very thing I'm talking about when I say arbitrary numbers. An extra 2 damage for every 100 damage you do WORTH 3 POINTS OF MASTERIES. Hey, hello. You can get 3 AD or 6 AP for 2 points and do more damage. Why would you ever, EVER want this? Unnoticeable damage for the amount of points that you need to invest.

Weapon Expertise and Arcane Knowledge: Not much to say, the minus 2% pen is confusing but I guess you can chalk that up to the penetration changes.

Brute/Mental Force: These were good masteries in season 2. They were at the beginning of the tree, so the small numbers made sense. Never felt bad speccing into them, especially since they were meant to be weak starts to the tree. THEY DO NOT BELONG THIS FAR INTO THE TREE. Since you're putting points this far, it's safe to say you're investing into offense at the cost of extensive defense or utility. Therefore, you should be seeing strong offensive masteries. Flat 3 AD and 6 AP are not strong offensive masteries.

Spellsword: Easily the best thing about the new offense tree. This is something you can't get anywhere else which starts weak, but will scale into it's own as the game goes on. Helps all AP based champs last hit.

Lethality into Frenzy: Range nerf is good. Number seems low still, but I guess with the interaction with IE it has to be. Love Frenzy, definitely a good mastery and wish more like it were here.

Defense:

Perserverance, Durability, Resistance, Hardiness, Veteran's Scars: I'm okay with this re-organization. Health on the top seems odd, but this change isn't as bad as the brute/mental force change in offense.

Relentless: Awesome mastery with great placement, no complaints.

Safeguard: Arbitrary number, since it's limited to just turrets can't it be at least 10%? -7 damage per shot really isn't much. -15 wouldn't really be gamebreaking.

Unyielding and Block: Terrible Masteries. Nothing interesting about them and the numbers are so low you'll never notice in game (save the few times you live with 1 HP).

Tenacious and Juggernaut: Holy ****, what are these doing here? These are great masteries and all, but they really belong on the next tier level on the tree.

Defender: zzz snore, a situational 5 armor and MR max. You get more than that 2 tiers below this one, why is this so high up?

Legendary Armor: Nothing legendary about 15 armor and MR. Especially at this point in the mastery tree.

Good Hands: Get out of here, what are you doing this high up the tree. Perfect example of a boring mastery.

Reinforced Armor: This is a good mastery. Blocking a percent of crit damage is very strong in the late game. No complaints.

Utility Tree (AKA the tree that the other 2 wish they were):

Wanderer: Bad. 2% is unnoticeable, why even attach the "out of combat" stipulation?

Mastermind: Why is a mastery this good near the bottom of the tree? No complaints from me, but this should be higher up.

Scout: Took a bad mastery, gave it a similarly bad effect EXCEPT NOW IT IS ONLY FOR 3 SECONDS. This was one of the masteries I wanted to see be made useful this season. Why not just make it something like increased ward duration or 2 extra ward HP points? As it stands now, it's worse than the Scout mastery in S2 and it was easily the most useless mastery in S2.

Artifacer: Great, great, GREAT mastery. More like this please.

Expanded Mind into Strength of Spirit: Love this combo. They sync really well.

Biscuiter into Explorer: Jesus. These are what I was hoping for. What I wanted each tree to have. Interesting in that you can start with items you always want to have anyway, impactful in that you can start something different, and (being 1 point each) they will never feel like a wasted point.

Vampirism: What the **** are you doing over here, go to offense. (No seriously, why is something that scales with offense on the utility tree?)

Awareness: % still low, was hoping it would at least be 7.5% or 10%

Pick Pocket: Changes the way many people are going to play, enables more risk/reward for supports. Brilliant mastery and one of the ones that got me excited. Too bad none of the other trees have anything that impact gameplay as much...

The Top of the Mastery Trees:

Holy ****, what are you guys doing. 21 out of 30 mastery points is a huge investment. For that huge investment, you should be rewarded. The top of the tree is supposed to be this awesome thing that will effect your game significantly. Juggernaut and Mastermind were great examples of this in S2. So what do we have this season?

5% more damage to enemies below 50% health (Stipulated, insignificant damage. 25 more damge for every 500 you do)

3% reduced damage (Insignificant. -15 damage for every 500 taken. Fun fact: This is basically Honor Guard from S2, the mastery nobody spec'd into cause the 8% scaling CDR was better 100% of the time.)

3% movement speed (Insignificant. Roughly +15 movespeed per champion).

Why.... Why are these crowning masteries, the masteries you're supposed to invest 21 points in SO BAD? Why are these numbers so insignificantly small? I know, I know. "It adds up". So what? Those "adding up" masteries make perfect sense for smaller ones. The bigger ones should be effecting your gameplay much more. Instead you get these flat %'s (which don't scale well) that you'll hardly notice. Is there really nothing more interesting for the pinnacle of the trees?

TL;DR: Mastery trees are still ****ty and now even the top of the trees suck.

TheBuhdazzla

11-27-2012

I agree with you about almost everything. Low %s of movement speed can be COLOSSAL in game, especially stacked up. Go asked Singed whether or not the movement speed masteries are worth it

Borand

11-27-2012

You do have good points.

I'll be bumping this in case we get a red reponse.

Armageddon2099

11-27-2012

Quote:
Garzek:
I agree with you about almost everything. Low %s of movement speed can be COLOSSAL in game, especially stacked up. Go asked Singed whether or not the movement speed masteries are worth it

Yeah, small % movespeed boosts are fine. Just not as the pinnacle of a tree or with an asinine stipulation like being out of combat. For example, initiator wasn't too terrible because you're going to spend most of the game at 70% or above health (unless you're doing horribly poor). How often are you going to be out of combat? Remember, this applies to auto attacks you do against minions as well, so even when you last hit the speed is gone.

But, think about it. If they removed that stipulation on the Wanderer mastery, the top of the tree and the bottom of the tree only have a 1% difference. 1% MS difference from what is supposed to be the best mastery on the tree and what is supposed to be the least impactful.

lnrael

11-27-2012

Quote:
Armageddon2099:

Offense Tree:

Fury and Sorcery moved down. Personally, I don't think AS and CDR aren't really beginning of the tree stats, since they rely so much on AD and AP to be useful

AS got more expensive, so that's actually a decent boost. CDR is great for characters who have CC skills - skills don't need AD or AP to be useful.

Quote:
Armageddon2099:

Deadliness and Blast: .6 AD(12 max) per level and 1 AP(18 max) per level. Small numbers like these are fine if you get them immediately. By the time you get the full benefit of these masteries, it's already long past their usefulness, where 12 AD and 18 AP just don't make much of a significant difference.

12 AD and 18AP are valuable even in the end game, but these also lead up to the penetration masteries, which are very strong.

Quote:
Armageddon2099:

Brute/Mental Force: These were good masteries in season 2. They were at the beginning of the tree, so the small numbers made sense. Never felt bad speccing into them, especially since they were meant to be weak starts to the tree. THEY DO NOT BELONG THIS FAR INTO THE TREE. Since you're putting points this far, it's safe to say you're investing into offense at the cost of extensive defense or utility. Therefore, you should be seeing strong offensive masteries. Flat 3 AD and 6 AP are not strong offensive masteries.

I want to agree, except that as it is now, one can get 3AD or 3AP really easily by going 9-21. This is a large change to top lane, actually, as it makes it difficult to spec only a little into the offensive masteries for a large early game bonus and still get all the defensive masteries.

Quote:
Armageddon2099:

Defense:

Unyielding and Block: Terrible Masteries. Nothing interesting about them and the numbers are so low you'll never notice in game (save the few times you live with 1 HP).

It's certainly weaker than the current masteries, that's for sure. But this is still very useful - three points for better than 5 armor against champions early game.

Quote:
Armageddon2099:

Defender: zzz snore, a situational 5 armor and MR max. You get more than that 2 tiers below this one, why is this so high up?

Cause for only one point, it's very strong. I personally like this one. Very nice early and mid game for just one point.

Quote:
Armageddon2099:

Good Hands: Get out of here, what are you doing this high up the tree. Perfect example of a boring mastery.

Changed from 3 points to 1. This is strong, actually, just hard to notice.

Quote:
Armageddon2099:

Utility Tree (AKA the tree that the other 2 wish they were):

Wanderer: Bad. 2% is unnoticeable, why even attach the "out of combat" stipulation?

ms got more expensive in general. Note that all champs got a +25 to their base ms as well. It's also an early mastery - notice that all first tier masteries have been nerfed for early game a bit, including offense.

Quote:
Armageddon2099:

Vampirism: What the **** are you doing over here, go to offense. (No seriously, why is something that scales with offense on the utility tree?)

Cause now it's harder to get both offense and having starting lifesteal.

Quote:
Armageddon2099:

The Top of the Mastery Trees:

5% more damage to enemies below 50% health (Stipulated, insignificant damage. 25 more damge for every 500 you do)

Executioner is pretty strong. Don't forget to add(?) this to havoc. But overall, yeah, not particularly interesting.

Quote:
Armageddon2099:

3% reduced damage (Insignificant. -15 damage for every 500 taken. Fun fact: This is basically Honor Guard from S2, the mastery nobody spec'd into cause the 8% scaling CDR was better 100% of the time. Hint Hint;You now can get 10% CDR from Utility for a small investment.)

Hint hint, this is the new top lane mastery for freezing lane, just requires 21 into defensive masteries. Very strong if only because of this effect.

Quote:
Armageddon2099:

By which you mean significant, of course. MS is generally harder to get in S3, and its value has gone up.

Armageddon2099

11-27-2012

Quote:
lnrael:
AS got more expensive, so that's actually a decent boost. CDR is great for characters who have CC skills - skills don't need AD or AP to be useful.

I never insulted the numbers, simply pointed out that in the offense tree they shouldn't be the openers. And duh utility spells synergize well with CDR, that's why CDR is on the utility page.

Quote:
12 AD and 18AP are valuable even in the end game, but these also lead up to the penetration masteries, which are very strong.

They really aren't. ~3-400 gold worth of stats at level 18 with 0 early game influence. There's a reason why nobody takes scaling AD.

Quote:
I want to agree, except that as it is now, one can get 3AD or 3AP really easily by going 9-21. This is a large change to top lane, actually, as it makes it difficult to spec only a little into the offensive masteries for a large early game bonus and still get all the defensive masteries.

That's all well and fine, but the numbers could be bumped up to reflect it's position in the tree. I mean I understood it was to stop the abuse case.

Quote:
It's certainly weaker than the current masteries, that's for sure. But this is still very useful - three points for better than 5 armor against champions early game.

It's insignificant and small. There's nothing interesting about blocking a tiny amount of damage like that. ****, if it weren't for the abuse case, you'd never have seen people speccing Indomitable either. Remove the abuse case scenario and you got yourself a worthless mastery.

Quote:
Cause for only one point, it's very strong. I personally like this one. Very nice early and mid game for just one point.

You're never going to get more than 3 armor/MR max early game, and that's if you're counter ganked as a tank jungler. By late game it's useless. It's numbers are far too small. ~166 gold worth of stats at max stacks.

Quote:
Changed from 3 points to 1. This is strong, actually, just hard to notice.

Regardless, it doesn't belong this far down. -5 seconds late game.

Quote:
ms got more expensive in general. Note that all champs got a +25 to their base ms as well. It's also an early mastery - notice that all first tier masteries have been nerfed for early game a bit, including offense.

It's not the number that bugs me but the asinine stipulation. 2% is not a gamebreaking amount of speed to have, the out of combat stipulation doesn't need to be tacked on.

Quote:
Cause now it's harder to get both offense and having starting lifesteal.

Err, so what's the point of the mastery then? Now it's hidden away deep in another tree where nobody will spec into it. Not useful for supports, yet too far in to be an option for ADC/AP chars..

Quote:
Executioner is pretty strong. Don't forget to add(?) this to havoc. But overall, yeah, not particularly interesting.

So to make the top of the tree useful I have to spec into another part that's not useful by itself. That feels horrible in a whole different way. Still doesn't explain why there's the asinine "below 50%" stipulation. Riot is also against adding %'s together additively. It's always done multiplicatively.

Quote:
Hint hint, this is the new top lane mastery for freezing lane, just requires 21 into defensive masteries. Very strong if only because of this effect.

The ****? How does this change the fact it's a bad mastery in general? Because if you spec into it you can tank minions, but not much else? In any case, most bruisers are going to be able to freeze lanes even without this mastery, just not at the beginning of the game like they can now.

Quote:
By which you mean significant, of course. MS is generally harder to get in S3, and its value has gone up.

No, I do mean insignificant. +12 MS is not a significant stat. The current lowest movespeed item in the game is Lich Bane. This mastery has less than half the MS of an item whose main draw isn't even the MS. That's low. Mother****ing Janna gives this to her entire team AS A PASSIVE and still gives herself another 16% (4% at level 1). It's a bad mastery bro.

IonDragonX

11-27-2012

Quote:
Armageddon2099:
Fury and Sorcery moved down. Personally, I don't think AS and CDR are really beginning of the tree stats, since they rely so much on AD and AP to be useful

Disagree. CDR is useful on every non - AP champ! All spells have a cooldown timer. Even ones that have no scaling value. Attack Speed is also a multiplier, it literally multiplies some of your damage by 1-4%. Both these masteries are at the bottom because they do have an impact on tanks and supports who have a few points left.
Quote:

Disagree. Buying 12 AD or 18 AP for four points is a bargain. You break even with a red flat AD at level 7 and a blue flat AP at level 6. But hey, if you think that failing to stack your champion's primary stat is a good idea, then whatever.
Quote:
Havoc: The very thing I'm talking about when I say arbitrary numbers. An extra 2 damage for every 100 damage you do WORTH 3 POINTS OF MASTERIES. Hey, hello. You can get 3 AD or 6 AP for 2 points and do more damage. Why would you ever, EVER want this? Unnoticeable damage for the amount of points that you need to invest.
Disagree. Havok is great for high base damage skills and crits. Multipliers are better in the late game anyways. I like the buff to Havok, it used to max out at 1.5%.
Quote:

Strongly Disagree. Their assistance in snowballing is exactly why they deserve to be farther into the tree. The whole game revolves around gaining and keeping the advantage asap.
Quote:
Safeguard: Arbitrary number, since it's limited to just turrets can't it be at least 10%? -7 damage per shot really isn't much. -15 wouldn't really be gamebreaking.
Its not always -7 tho, is it? Each consecutive shot gets stronger, so Safeguard blocks more and more damage. There shouldn't be a good counter to turrets anywhere because it would detract from the tactics.
Quote:

Disagree here. These are great for a tank with a Doran's Shield. Ignoring 11 damage per AA after resistances is terrific.
Quote:
Tenacious and Juggernaut: Holy ****, what are these doing here? These are great masteries and all, but they really belong on the next tier level on the tree.

They certainly are good but they do take 5 points to get it all. That is the price of commitment.
Quote:

Disagree. 2 points at least and up to 10 points max at a cost of 1? Don't put it anywhere close to the bottom of the tree.
Quote:
Legendary Armor: Nothing legendary about 15 armor and MR. Especially at this point in the mastery tree.

Agree. Although you are mistaken. If it did give 15 armor and MR for 4 points it would be worth it. However, it gives +5% to the bonus armor. Therefore it does nothing until you actually buy a decent set of armor. Once you get to the late game, it is pretty effective.
Quote:

I agree that it is boring. It is very efficient for 1 point but I don't like "lose less" investments. Revive would be better anyway.
Quote:
Disagree. Its cheaper (3 points instead of 4) and everybody can reach it. Basically, it helps get you from base to lane and from lane to teamfight. The opponent has the same masteries to choose from, so it is not actually a game changer.
Quote:
Mastermind: Why is a mastery this good near the bottom of the tree? No complaints from me, but wow that Sorcery + Mastermind combo.

You've misread it. It is only CDR for summoner spells.
Quote:
Scout: Took a bad mastery, gave it a similarly bad effect EXCEPT NOW IT IS ONLY FOR 3 SECONDS. This was one of the masteries I wanted to see be made useful this season. Why not just make it something like increased ward duration or 2 extra ward HP points? As it stands now, it's worse than the Scout mastery in S2 and it was easily the most useless mastery in S2.

Agree. No body really wants this. They should simply attach it to the Explorer mastery just so people would use it.
Quote:
Artifacer: Great, great, GREAT mastery. More like this please.

Completely agree.
Quote:

Disagree. I actually like what Riot is doing with sustain abilities. If a RADC want sustain early, buy a Doran's Blade.
Quote:
3% reduced damage (Insignificant. -15 damage for every 500 taken. Fun fact: This is basically Honor Guard from S2, the mastery nobody spec'd into cause the 8% scaling CDR was better 100% of the time. Hint Hint;You now can get 10% CDR from Utility for a small investment.)

Disagree. Multipliers are always powerful in the late game.

All that said, you seem to have a desire for early game stats only. That's not a bad thing as long as you win quickly. You would probably be happier figuring how to go 12/9/9 for your mastery pages. Or 16/14/0 or something like that. leave the 21/9/0 pages to guys who like late game advantages.

Armageddon2099

11-27-2012

Quote:
IonDragonX:
Disagree. CDR is useful on every non - AP champ! All spells have a cooldown timer. Even ones that have no scaling value. Attack Speed is also a multiplier, it literally multiplies some of your damage by 1-4%. Both these masteries are at the bottom because they do have an impact on tanks and supports who have a few points left.

I know CDR is useful on non-AP champs, I never implied it wasn't. I just think that they belong a bit higher up as they are magnified by your AD and AP.

Quote:
Disagree. Buying 12 AD or 18 AP for four points is a bargain. You break even with a red flat AD at level 7 and a blue flat AP at level 6. But hey, if you think that failing to stack your champion's primary stat is a good idea, then whatever.

The final number is too low. It's not the worst mastery on the tree by far, but I don't think it's a good one either.

Quote:
Disagree. Havok is great for high base damage skills and crits. Multipliers are better in the late game anyways. I like the buff to Havok, it used to max out at 1.5%.

Havok will always be a bad mastery until they change it. 2% increased damage works out to be 10 extra damage for every 500 you do. Insignificant.

Quote:
Strongly Disagree. Their assistance in snowballing is exactly why they deserve to be farther into the tree. The whole game revolves around gaining and keeping the advantage asap.

They don't assist in snowballing? Not sure what you're getting at here. 3 AD is basically 2 runes and lol @ the AP amount.

Quote:
Its not always -7 tho, is it? Each consecutive shot gets stronger, so Safeguard blocks more and more damage. There shouldn't be a good counter to turrets anywhere because it would detract from the tactics.

Ohmwrecker. Armor and health. These are already counters to turrets. This mastery honestly seems like a way to tower dive early, which is fine. But if that's what it's for, then the number needs to be buffed to be more useful early game. By late game turrets do tiny amount of damage to tanks anyway.

Quote:
Disagree here. These are great for a tank with a Doran's Shield. Ignoring 11 damage per AA after resistances is terrific.

It's really not that great. Early game tanks are going to be in the jungle or Shen. Shen doesn't need help ignoring damage and the junglers won't be attacked much anyway.

Quote:
They certainly are good but they do take 5 points to get it all. That is the price of commitment.

Reaction was an exaggeration, tho I would prefer them to be put back together and replace the currently bad top of the defense tree.

Quote:
Disagree. 2 points at least and up to 10 points max at a cost of 1? Don't put it anywhere close to the bottom of the tree.

10 armor and MR is insignificant as ****. 300 gold worth of stats MAX. You won't be seeing that max number until late game and honestly by then it's worthless. That's like buying Aegis in a 1v1.

Quote:
Agree. Although you are mistaken. If it did give 15 armor and MR for 4 points it would be worth it. However, it gives +5% to the bonus armor. Therefore it does nothing until you actually buy a decent set of armor. Once you get to the late game, it is pretty effective.

That was an endgame number, but it seems I was wrong. It's actually closer to ~10 armor an MR. That's just pitiful....

Quote:
Disagree. Its cheaper (3 points instead of 4) and everybody can reach it. Basically, it helps get you from base to lane and from lane to teamfight. The opponent has the same masteries to choose from, so it is not actually a game changer.

The speed is not enough to be worth speccing into. Say two people with the same char, no boots/runes, and only one has this mastery. The char is going to make it back to lane about 2 seconds faster than the one without it. Sure you can argue for that 2 seconds, but do you really think it's worth 3 points?

Quote:
You've misread it. It is only CDR for summoner spells.

Yup, my mistake. This mastery is ridiculously good, remembering that 15% is the tip of the current utility tree.

Quote:
Disagree. I actually like what Riot is doing with sustain abilities. If a RADC want sustain early, buy a Doran's Blade.

I'm not actually arguing for the return to the offense tree. I know exactly why they moved it out, I just don't understand why they chose to keep the mastery in a tree where nobody is going to use it. Wasted slot.

Quote:
Disagree. Multipliers are always powerful in the late game.

You misunderstand my maths. That +25 damage per 500 dealt. That -15 damage per 500 received. That +15 MS I state. That's the max you're going to feasibly get. That's scaled into the late game. That's the pinnacle of that mastery. They don't get much more powerful than that.

Quote:
All that said, you seem to have a desire for early game stats only. That's not a bad thing as long as you win quickly. You would probably be happier figuring how to go 12/9/9 for your mastery pages. Or 16/14/0 or something like that. leave the 21/9/0 pages to guys who like late game advantages.

No, I want all game stats. These stats just aren't worth it at all. The tips especially need to be fixed to be actually worthwhile.

Prince Kassad

11-27-2012

Quote:
Armageddon2099:

Are you high? How is a 2% damage increase not useful? It scales with your base ability damages, making it very strong on mages and AD champions like Graves that have high-damage spells.

Also, most AD carries should have around 150 attack damage by level 11 or 12 .. so the havoc mastery AT A MINIMUM is effectively as good as the falt AD masteries by the time midgame comes...except it also effects the base damages on your abilities and item actives. By late game, a 2% damage increase is at least five times stronger than 3 AD on just about every champion.

Soulwolf

11-27-2012

the 21 point masteries shoudl simply unlock certain high tier items....

such as deathcap, IE, warmogs /GA

what would that do?

it would put classes more into their place.

where carries actualyl build more offense and tanks buidl more defense etc etc etc.

and then in return items could be very specialized without having to worry to much about abuse combinations.

since you can only focus on either offense defense or utility

thus you wouldnt have glass cannons running around that are hard to focus tho since they have a GA.