Building Jax

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DemiViral

11-26-2012

I have been playing jax, trying to work to add another strong pick into my pool of champions.

I feel like I'm getting the hang of him but I feel like I'm missing something. Are the items I'm building good picks for him, and how I should change them up if they are not.

I start with boots and 3 potions usually, though sometimes I'll go cloth 5 if I think I need the extra armor.

next if I'm doing good early I will usually build a dorans blade or two, other wise I build upto bilgewater cutlass. (and boots if I started with cloth)

I then build Nashors Tooth, and finish up hextech gunblade after that.

Depending on how I'm doing (am I blowing up fast) I will either build some armor here or move onto Trinity. I will build both its just what order I do so depends on how I'm doing when I reach this point.

By this point the game is normally over but I would probably build another piece of armor here.

LimesV

11-26-2012

I can't seem to understand why people want to build so much ap on jax. all of his damage and abilities are really focused on his auto attacks and not his AP. His passive boosts AS. His ult is a steroid and he has a gap closer and stun. Now yes he gets AP scaling on the leap and his ults passive but thats only a bons and a good reason to build TF. build AD with trinity and maybe a gunblade late game. thats how it should go =).

Nishaven90

11-26-2012

Don't build Nashor's Tooth on Jax, it's not very good compared to other items.

The best items for Jax are Hextech Gunblade, Trinity Force and Wits End. Good defensive items include Aegis, Randuins, Guardian Angel and Maw.

Typical endgame build:

Merc Treads/Tabi
Gunblade
Trinity Force
Wits End
Guardian Angel
Bloodthirster

Crimson5pheonix

11-27-2012

Say no to Nashor's, and yes to Guinsoo's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimesV View Post
I can't seem to understand why people want to build so much ap on jax. all of his damage and abilities are really focused on his auto attacks and not his AP. His passive boosts AS. His ult is a steroid and he has a gap closer and stun. Now yes he gets AP scaling on the leap and his ults passive but thats only a bons and a good reason to build TF. build AD with trinity and maybe a gunblade late game. thats how it should go =).
AP is good on him because 3 of his abilities scale with AP and they scale well. One of those abilities is his ults passive which turns his AS into even more damage if you build AP. It also increases his MR when he pops his ult.

Kaosovic

11-27-2012

early game ap jax is not good. he doesn't utilize the dmg for constant dps and so at early/mid game you are impotent. you try to auto attack on the exchange but you end up not dishing out the dmg you need to intimidate early on. Late game you can make a case when you get lich bane and all the other ap stacks, but it doesn't necessarily compare to your viability up to that point.

TooLazy2Quit

11-27-2012

Now Im a jax player who likew to have fun.

I usually end up with hextech, rageblade, frozen mallet, cooldown boots, black clever, and a defensive item (usually maw or thornmail)

With this build I can usually come out of 3 v 1s no problem and sometimes 4 or 5 v 1s.

However, the only counters Ive seen are any ap with a stun (veigar and some cassiopias).

Again, this is a build full of fun for me.

Banff

11-27-2012

Not sure i can agree with this anti AP propaganda. Getting a revolver on jax exponentially increases his early game staying power it's almost illegal. I think you should focus on farm/staying power so that you have an easier time transitioning into Godzilla. Ditch the tooth.

StringofZhef

11-28-2012

With top-tier jax players like Umashi and Maknoon building tooth, I'd say keep the thing. Also rush the phage part of your trinity against most lanes, since Jax does extremely well if he can sustain a long trade with a phage proc. Hextech gunblade is something you'd typically finish AFTER guardian angel.