Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Bye bye Avarice blade

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fox P McCloud

11-26-2012

Courtesy of Reign of Gaming: http://www.reignofgaming.net/news/22478-pbe-changes-for-11-26-new-brand-jack-of-hearts

-Passive gold gain on Avarice blade reduced by 2.

This effectively means you have to get 6 CS per minute (60 CS per 10 minutes) for it to even break even with the pre-nerf passive gold gain. That's not even the bad aspect though---It requires you to get a whopping 90 per 10 minutes (9 per minute) in order to break even with the current avarice blade on live (already widely regarded as crappy).

Thought avarice blade was going to be more interesting, important, or viable in S3? They just crushed those hopes. Keep in mind this is in addition to it have -2% crit chance compared to the avarice blade on live, as well. Yes, it builds into a few new items---but there's not a single case where you'd want to build Avarice Blade first---especially now that you have to have near perfect CS for it to generate any decent gold income---something that's not going to happen top lane and is very very unlikely to happen in bot lane, as well (let's face it, it's usually only AP mids that are going to get perfect CS).

dafedidi

11-26-2012

+1

RexSaur

11-26-2012

Yep, i thought it was finally going to be used, but i guess it'll keep collecting dust.

CooLTanG

Recruiter

11-26-2012

yep I was excited for this patch, being a Tryndamere player, since its all I needed. First crit% + gold per kill & per 10, then u build damage, then you eventually build avarice into a static shiv ( a near phantom dancer).

Pokeprof

11-26-2012

Quote:
Fox P McCloud:
Courtesy of Reign of Gaming: http://www.reignofgaming.net/news/22478-pbe-changes-for-11-26-new-brand-jack-of-hearts

-Passive gold gain on Avarice blade reduced by 2.

This effectively means you have to get 6 CS per minute (60 CS per 10 minutes) for it to even break even with the pre-nerf passive. That's not even the bad aspect though---It requires you to get a whopping 90 per 10 minutes (9 per minute) in order to break even with the current avarice blade on live (already widely regarded as crappy).

Thought avarice blade was going to be more interesting, important, or viable in S3? They just crushed those hopes. Keep in mind this is in addition to it have -2% crit chance compared to the avarice blade on live, as well. Yes, it builds into a few new items---but there's not a single case where you'd want to build Avarice Blade first---especially now that you have to have near perfect CS for it to generate any decent gold income---something that's not going to happen top lane and is very very unlikely to happen in bot lane, as well (let's face it, it's usually only AP mids that are going to get perfect CS).

Uh, keep in main a major difference between Avarice blade and any other GP/5 item. Unlike the rest of them, Avarice blade gives you TF's passive as well, and some champions are stupid good farmers with some items under it. I'm honestly perfectly fine with it's passive gold nerf, seeing that it tells me that I'll just get more gold by getting it and farming up with it. Lane GP is going to love this ontop of his Q.

Fox P McCloud

11-26-2012

Quote:
Pokeprof:
Uh, keep in main a major difference between Avarice blade and any other GP/5 item. Unlike the rest of them, Avarice blade gives you TF's passive as well, and some champions are stupid good farmers with some items under it. I'm honestly perfectly fine with it's passive gold nerf, seeing that it tells me that I'll just get more gold by getting it and farming up with it. Lane GP is going to love this ontop of his Q.

Did you not read my post? I specifically stated that you have to have 60 CS per 10 minutes to hit 4 gold per 10....and 90 CS per 10 minutes (that's almost perfect CS) for it to break even with on live avarice blade. That's including the +2 gold per minion kill.

GP will like Philo stone way more--mana regen to use his Q more often (which at level one gives effectively 8 gold per 10 at rank 1 and 16 gold per 10 at max rank). It's more important tot have your Q up than anything else---Philo+More Parrrley spam will vastly outstrip the petty gold difference that avarice blade gives you over Philo (and only if you have extremely high CS...not the easiest, as a top laner; very unlikely to ever happen).

Avarice sucks not just because it's stats are horrendous; it sucks because what it builds into are items that people generally don't want/need (which is unchanged in S3 with the exception of maybe Shiv).

CooLTanG

Recruiter

11-26-2012

Well math is near solid but here I'll lay it out:

Current Servers:
5gp10 - so 5x6 = 30g per Minute

Test Realm Pre Nerf:
4gp10 + 2gpMinion = 24g + 3 minions per Minute = 30g/min for same gold as live servers (30 creeps in 10mins)

Test Realm Post Nerf:
2gp10 + 2gpMinion = 12g + 9 minions per Minute = 30g/min for same gold as live servers (90 creeps in 10mins)

Paradox

Adjudicator

11-26-2012

So wait, people are saying its hard to pull 90CS 10min after you buy an Avarice Blade?

Fox P McCloud

11-26-2012

Quote:
Paradox:
So wait, people are saying its hard to pull 90CS 10min after you buy an Avarice Blade?

For mids? No. For top laners? Just about impossible (considering jungle and in-lane pressure).

For Junglers or supports? They completely unviable for them now.

This leaves us with only one viable class to get it; ADCs--and getting 90 CS every 10 minutes is not something they consistently do or are capable of (again due to lane and jungle pressure), though the chances for them doing so is certainly higher than top lane.

And again, in addition to all of this, the stats just plain suck on it---it gives you a minimal amount of crit chance, so you're not going to want to rush it (hinders last hitting, not reliable for trading, builds into a highly situational ADC item).

IonDragonX

11-26-2012

I agree with the OP. This is not a good choice considering that its price was increased and its crit chance was decreased. I really was looking forward to using this on some jungle champs but now its kinda bad. Jungle already has money problems.