Rylan, Master of the Woods [Champion Concept]

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zarkof

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-26-2012

edit: putting this on the shelf for now, I don't like this anymore as is.

I am no longer working on this champion. Let this thread die please.

Original text:

I haven't done this before but

I feel like there isn't really a human champion in the Forest Ranger demographic (Teemo is close but not what I'm thinking of), someone who stalks the woods searching for prey. I feel like this demographic would also be the best option for a pet-based champion besides a demon-controlling warlock.

Rylan grew up in the woods mainly isolated from society. He learned how to hunt and became very adept at using traps, tracking, and gained skill with a shortbow. He came across an orphaned wolf pup during his teens and befriended it and named it Hunter. As they grew together they formed a tight bond and Rylan took him with him when he went out to hunt. (and somehow ended up in the league of legends)

Rylan:
Male
5/10 145 lbs
25 years old
He wears a camo hoodie with long pants

Rylan uses a shortbow as a main weapon and a hatchet for secondary attacks.
He uses energy as a resource and can restore energy by attacking.
When Rylan summons his wolf familiar his abilities command the wolf to use its own abilities in conjunction with Rylan's.
Rylan scales mainly off of Attack Damage and has a mana pool similar to the current ADC in the meta.
His attack range would be 550

now for the skills:

Passive: Hunter of the Vale - Rylan moves 15% faster when the enemy cannot see him. this effect diminishes over 2 seconds after he is spotted by enemy champion, minion, or turret. (not wards since that'd be a way to check wards. passive stops, must be ward nearby. It's ok with brush, since there are other champions who have similar brush detection passives like trynd's mocking shout or soraka's starfall)

Q: Hatchet Throw - 500 range - 40-45-50-55-60 mana- 8 sec cooldown (thinking about making this a line skillshot that hits the 1st champion - ignores minions)
- Rylan throws his hatchet at target unit dealing damage and causing bleeding for 4 seconds. scaling base damage with bonus AD ratio

I want this skill not to be a nuke, but a way to damage and command the pet. adding synergy with the pet increasing the bleed damage and causing it to do minor extra damage if the target is bleeding is how I chose to do this. I also wanted to shorten the range to make Rylan have to balance getting closer to the target with added damage

W: Focus - no cost - 25 second cooldown
- Rylan's basic attacks for 4-6-8-10-12 seconds restore 10 mana and mark the target for death, granting true sight on that target for 3 seconds

I scrapped the idea of adding a steroid because his ultimate is basically a flat damage steroid. reworked this into more of a long-cd, short duration at early levels, form of mana sustain and I like the concept of true sight on a hunter.

E: Master of Survival - 200 range AoE - 90 mana - 22-20-18-16-14 sec cooldown
- Rylan swiftly strikes at all nearby enemies' legs, slowing them by 30% for 1.5 seconds. Rylan then instantly escapes to targeted location within 500 range. (somewhere on par with Ezreal/Graves)

you say the 30% 1.5 second slow is op? then how should I nerf it? it does no damage, only hits enemies within melee range, and has a short movespeed synergy while the companion is up, making it a comprable gap closer/escape to most other champions.

Ultimate: Beast Companion - 60 second cooldown - 100 mana
- Rylan summons his wolf companion, Hunter, with 1000-1750-2500 health (estimate), 150% of Rylan's armor/mr, 25% of Rylan's Critical Strike chance, base 1.2 Attack speed, 410 movespeed, and 10-15-20% of Rylan's total attack damage. Hunter attacks Rylan's targets. Reactivating this skill will command Hunter to attack or move to the target. The cooldown goes into effect when the wolf companion or Rylan is killed. (or the cooldown would be 2 minutes but counts down while the wolf is active, similar to Tibbers but the wolf has unlimited duration)

I don't want the wolf to be played as a ward in bot lane to avoid ganks. I am still trying to find a balance between the pet's tankiness and damage for a permanent pet. I am thinking of nerfing the damage further to make it more of a synergy between Rlyan and Hunter rather than having the pet be a 6th champion on the team

If Rylan activates a skill while Hunter is active, the wolf will activate its own corresponding skill if it is within 700 range and attack in conjunction with Rylan

I added in the 700 range to make it more necessary for Rylan and Hunter to be fighting alongside eachother rather than having the wolf be overpowered on its own without its master.

Q: Sic 'em - Hunter rushes to the target of Rylan's Hatchet Throw and deals bonus magic damage if the target is bleeding, extending the duration of the bleed by 1 second per attack up to 4 seconds.

W: Frenzy - Hunter gains 100% attack speed and 100% lifesteal for 4-6-8-10-12 seconds

E: Howl - Hunter howls, granting him and Rylan 30% movement speed for 1-1.5-2-2.5-3 seconds

this adds synergy to the escape/gap closer but I'm thinking of reducing the value as it may be too much in conjunction with his passive. sit in brush with Hunter and blink out with a 45% movespeed bonus for 2 seconds might be too much.

notes:
The wolf would have the same leash range as other pets (Hallucinate, Tibbers, Children of the Grave, Omen of Death) and last until killed
I tried to add some synergy between the pet's abilities and the champion's
Numbers are just an estimate.

Let me know what you think! I'm not too sure if this would be a balanced or simple enough method to incorporate a pet into a champion. If some of the mechanics would be too unfair or that he would end up dealing too much damage for a Ranged, Energy based champion, feel free to comment!

edits: I'll be fixing some things so if I change anything major I'll write it down below here

edit 1: changed his passive, reworked w

edit 2: scrapped energy, reworked for mana . Reduced damage the wolf would deal to 10-15-20%, reduced slow and movespeed duration on e. also added in more notes under the skills. changed Frenzy to scale in duration like Focus

If you want to leave criticism, please leave more than "dude's op, you suck" This is the first champion concept I've designed so let me know what about it is OP and how it should be nerfed. if the numbers are too high then I can lower them, but I like these mechanics. If the mechanics are OP then I can try to remove/rework a couple things to make it more balanced

Cleod7

11-26-2012

I love this champ idea. I hope Riot uses this idea.

Neonshaman

11-26-2012

Jesus, that is obscenely overpowered.

Zarkof

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonshaman View Post
Jesus, that is obscenely overpowered.
how so? not saying it isn't; I'm not too familiar with the specifics of what makes a champion balanced on paper and I haven't theorycrafted yet, so what specifically about this makes it an OP concept? The cooldowns? Energy costs? Mechanics?

e1usiV

11-26-2012

while the AOE is active can he be hit/targeted?

im feeling like a fiora style of play with a ranged nidalee look and feel.?

Zarkof

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG elusiV View Post
while the AOE is active can he be hit/targeted?

im feeling like a fiora style of play with a ranged nidalee look and feel.?
The aoe is an instant slow and blink with no damage. think ezreal blink and zed e slow but better.

Malefic Vision

11-26-2012

So he has an Ezreal escape, but slows everyone around him as well? That alone is OP, let alone the fact he does crazy damage, and if all goes south he summons a wolf to fight for him and runs away, so if you focus the wolf he rapes you, but if you focus him he runs and the wolf rapes you. Meanwhile, the wolf itself has nuts skills that can probably kill an AP mid by itself.

I like the idea of a pet champion, but not an ADC, not an energyless ADC, and not someone that can do just fine without the pet, and the pet itself can do fine with no owner. Too OP.

Zarkof

11-27-2012

bump for mana rework and nerfs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnRedBaron View Post
So he has an Ezreal escape, but slows everyone around him as well? That alone is OP, let alone the fact he does crazy damage, and if all goes south he summons a wolf to fight for him and runs away, so if you focus the wolf he rapes you, but if you focus him he runs and the wolf rapes you. Meanwhile, the wolf itself has nuts skills that can probably kill an AP mid by itself.

I like the idea of a pet champion, but not an ADC, not an energyless ADC, and not someone that can do just fine without the pet, and the pet itself can do fine with no owner. Too OP.
If I reduce the damage the wolf does by enough, then it would just be like a spiderling for damage and would force you to fight alongside it. I don't want it to be a standalone, I want it to have to fight alongside its master and best friend and have interaction between them. Rylan Q to make the wolf do more damage, and the wolf howl to help Rylan escape. there would be a leash range and the wolf wouldn't be able to do a whole lot of damage if Rylan just sets it on you and runs since the majority of the damage is based on their synergy.

Taria05

11-27-2012

Everything will depend on his base stats, but right now he seems like a sub-par adc.

As long as he can command his pet 100% freely, he'll probably just use it as a ward unless it deals obscene amounts of damage without even trying.The thing is, you can have it passively sit in the bush and tell it to come out and attack whenever you engage on the enemy. People would just play this guy with a passive support and farm all day without worrying about dying, especially since he can escape easily.

Zarkof

11-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taria05 View Post
Everything will depend on his base stats, but right now he seems like a sub-par adc.

As long as he can command his pet 100% freely, he'll probably just use it as a ward unless it deals obscene amounts of damage without even trying.The thing is, you can have it passively sit in the bush and tell it to come out and attack whenever you engage on the enemy. People would just play this guy with a passive support and farm all day without worrying about dying, especially since he can escape easily.
once you get to 6, yeah... he doesn't get his pet til then. I'm tempted to make it so that the wolf stays by his side until he attacks, and retreats after 4 seconds of the champion not attacking or being too far away. or you can toggle the wolf to attack your target or retreat back to you, but not let it move on its own