Is this a champion you'd like to see? (Leave a comment)

Yes! Make it happen, Riot! 14 77.78%
Not bad but I'd prefer a different approach (post a suggestion) 1 5.56%
Not really for me 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Champion Concept 7: Flynn, the Trailblazer

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Draginath

11-26-2012

Finally getting this up because I'm really excited about sharing some of my concepts down the pipeline (i.e. concept 8 and 10). I feel like League could use a tricky Fox champ prowling around so here he is. Be sure to comment. I love the feedback.

Last time we saw Alder, the Bone Arbiter, an immortal tank with lots of CC.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2687111

7. Mathias Flynn, the Trailblazer

Overview: Flynn is a ranged champion that specializes in field control, utilizing traps and terrain to toy with his prey.

Role: Ranged, Support, Stealth

Description:
Flynn is a humanoid fox wearing typical “ranger” clothes complimented with a dark green hooded cloak that shadows his eyes. He wields a longbow with a quiver of arrows strapped to his back as well as a sword on his hip. Beneath his cloak, Flynn has an assortment of vials with poisons and other gadgets strapped across his chest. Around is neck is a violet-colored amulet.

To give you a feel for him, think:
http://www.r2mediallc.com/ringsgeek/images/Strider2.jpg

Or these two combined
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/383_ca_ranger.jpg

Quote:
Stats:

Difficulty: Hard
Health: 1760
Mana: 950
Movement: 330
Armor: 65
Magic Resist: 42
Range: 550
Abilities:

Quote:
Pathfinding (Passive): Flynn gains stealth and 400 increased vision for 1.5 seconds upon entering brush, refreshing while he remains inside of it. Flynn becomes visible to enemies that are very close to him. Attacks made from stealth sting the target, dealing 70/140/210 (+30% ability power) magic damage over 7 seconds.
While traps are his staple, I really think this passive is what makes Flynn. Basically, it's what makes brush so powerful for him, allowing him to scout, lay traps and attack before enemies even know he's there. The DoT is not meant to deal any significant damage, but serves more to keep enemies in combat and beef up his E.

Quote:
Neurotoxins (Q): (Passive) Flynn tips his arrows in a special venom, causing his basic attacks to poison targets dealing 30/45/60/75/90 (+30% ability power) magic damage over 4 seconds.

(Active) Flynn fires a shot that stings all targets it passes through, dealing 70/110/140/170/200 (+70% ability power) over 4 seconds. The range of this ability is increased by 400 while Pathfinding is active. [6 second cooldown, Range: 650, X mana]
Flynn's bread and butter as far as damage goes. With the advent of Elise, I'll have to find a new name for the ability, but the concept is there. Note that the active is a a separate DoT to the passive.

Quote:
Trap Mastery (W): Cast once to scroll through traps and again to choose your trap, setting it at Flynn’s feet.

Sentry Trap: Plants a trap that activate when enemies approach it. Upon activating, the trap will grant vision of the area and attack nearby enemies dealing 10/20/30/40/50 (25% ability power) for 10 seconds. [Vision: 1000, Range: 700]

Wildfire Trap: Plants a trap that explodes on enemy contact, igniting the nearby area. Enemies in the area burn, taking 50/75/100/125/150 (+60% ability power) (+1.0 per bonus attack damage) physical damage each second. Enemies close to the trap are knocked back slightly. Lasts 4 seconds. [Burn Radius: 400]

Glacial Trap: Plants a trap that pulses every second upon activation. These pulses slow enemies by 25/30/35/40/45% for 1 second. Lasts 4 seconds. [Radius: 850]
Traps last for 6 minutes. No more than 3 of any trap can be active at a time. The cooldown of this ability is reduced by 2 seconds if used while Pathfinding is active. [6 second cooldown]
Flynn's namesake. I really like Twisted Fate's PAC function so I decided to borrow it here. In conjunction with his passive, the brush and jungle are dangerous places when Flynn's around. The ability is pretty straightforward. Note that the trap is set at Flynn's feet, so he has to be standing where he wants to set the trap. This makes the ability really effective when Flynn's stalking around unseen and less effective in a large scale fight.

Quote:
Seeker (E): Flynn prowls, increasing movement speed by 30% for 4 seconds. On next attack, Flynn fires a shot that blasts over 2 seconds, dealing 90/120/150/180/210 (+60% ability power) physical damage plus 20/30/40/50/60 additional magic damage for each of Flynn’s poisons on the target. Pinning Shot’s damage is increased by up to 150% the closer the target is. Movement speed bonus is doubled while Pathfinding is active. [8 second cooldown, Range: 800, X mana]
Though his main source of damage is DoT effects, Flynn needs some burst too. This ability is designed to give Flynn mobility as well as marking a target loaded with his poisons for death. The bonus damage is also to create some interesting options and plays given that he's primarily range and squishy.
Quote:
Northern Storm (Ultimate): After a 2 second delay, Flynn conjures a massive storm system at the target at the target location, reducing vision for all enemy units. Lightning rapidly strikes the area every 1/0.66/0.33 second, dealing 60/100/140 (+35% ability power) magic damage to enemy targets and briefly revealing the area. While inside the storm, Flynn’s passive activates. Northern Storm lasts 10 seconds. [150/120/90 second cooldown, Range: Global, Diameter: 2000]
Insult to injury. If the threat of his stealth and traps weren't enough. Now he has a global presence. I'm not really sure about the damage numbers because I don't really intend for the ability to be an immediate damage threat (unless standing in it for the duration). The sight reveal is to compensate for the size of the storm so enemies aren't fumbling around in the dark for 10 seconds.

Quote:
Quips:
Upon Selection: “Send them to their ultimate fate”
Taunt: “You’ll make a fine quarry”
Joke(s): “It’s a trap!” *laughs*
Movement: “Draw them in close, they kill faster that way” “Pick your poison, summoner” “Follow me” “Into the Wild” “A trail of breadcrumbs” "It's natural selection"
Dance:
Quote:
Mechanics Overview:

I wanted a champ that really benefits players who like to be elusive and has the flexibility to match all types of stealth gameplay. Well-played, I imagine Flynn would be nearly untouchable. I chose DoTs for his damage because I wanted him to play that predator stalking the brush, poking in and out and slowly whittling down his prey. Of course, all numbers are arbitrary.
Quote:
Playing against him:

- Avoid brush as much as possible. Flynn’s strength lies in his manipulation of the terrain, so picking fights in the open robs his advantage.

- Flynn needs to roam a lot to be effective, so wards are great to keep tabs on him.

- Take the fight to him. Don't let him sit in his bush making a fool out of you. He's tricky, but squishy.
Quote:
Lore:

Still trying to figure out a story for him but the premise is:

Mathias Flynn was once a man and an unrivaled tracker. His desire to preserve the wild in all of its savagery blessed him with the form of a fox and a magical amulet to control the power of the storm.
Well, there you have it folks. Please leave a comment and tell me what you think and what can be improved. I'm really glad that I got this one out because I feel the next champ will be something truly unique. Until then, cheers.

NEXT TIME: Doran, the Exalted Blacksmith
A highly versatile fighter whose playstyle changes based on the weapon he's wielding.

Check out my other concepts:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...5#post32018055

Crapsdivine

11-26-2012

This is a great idea + concept.
I think his Q needs work, the damage of the passive is ridiculous early game, its like a buffed up version of teemo.
Everything else seems fine though, nice job.
Review my concept if you please.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2838141

Draginath

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapsdivine View Post
This is a great idea + concept.
I think his Q needs work, the damage of the passive is ridiculous early game, its like a buffed up version of teemo.
Everything else seems fine though, nice job.
Review my concept if you please.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2838141
Well, teemo's passive deals damage each second, so at rank 1 9x4= 36 base damage. Flynn's Q deals damage over 4 seconds, so at rank 1, it deals 30 base damage.

I took a look at your concept, but don't have much time to really give meaningful critiques, so I'll have do it later.

kalerthebeast117

11-27-2012

maybe a little too much damage,idk, but awesome concept. MAKE IT HAPPEN RIOT!

Ahrius

11-29-2012

He's a trailblazer... I kind of envisioned him as being able to jungle.

Draginath

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahrius View Post
He's a trailblazer... I kind of envisioned him as being able to jungle.
I actually do see him being able to jungle. Trap Mastery has a 6 sec CD and can have 3 of each trap active at a given time. On top of his poisons and Seekers bonus damage, I actually see him being a very powerful jungler in the right hands, just on the squishy side.

Draginath

12-07-2012

bump

Draginath

01-02-2013

bump

DryRun

01-02-2013

here are a few things to think about - basically you've just created a teemo on steroids, you combined his q and w into your q, moved his ult to your w, kept the speed boost but gave it damage, then gave him gangplanks ult. also the passive is soo much better then teemos. you are on the right track, but I think as he is this guy is way overpowered.

Draginath

01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryRun View Post
here are a few things to think about - basically you've just created a teemo on steroids, you combined his q and w into your q, moved his ult to your w, kept the speed boost but gave it damage, then gave him gangplanks ult. also the passive is soo much better then teemos. you are on the right track, but I think as he is this guy is way overpowered.
Thanks for the critique, but your post demonstrates the dangers of comparing abilities in such a black and white fashion. Arguments such as these fail to take the entire kit in to consideration and as a result, lose any potential value they might have had. For example, Flynn's ultimate is similar to Gangplanks ult on in that it is global. Both serves completely different functions in terms of teamplay and the champs skill set as a whole. To compare the two point for point is bogus.

Flynn and Teemo are similar in that they both provide map control for their team, but the way they do this is very different. Teemo provides long-term vision and the ability to completely lockdown areas of a map. Utilizing speed and CC, he serves to be very disruptive in a fight. Flynn fills this role my superior terrain control. Not only through his traps, but the way all of his abilities change based on his position. His traps don't do the damage or have the coverage of Teemo's but compensate by having versatility. He can utilize his traps and terrain in ways Teemo can't.

So to compare Camouflage to Pathfinding and say one is better than the other is a bit ridiculous considering they both serve different roles. You're comparing them based on the fact that they are both stealth and nothing more. Same way you compare Flynn's Q and Teemo's E on the fact that they are both DoT effects. A fairly useless comparison.

That being said, I mentioned earlier in the thread that numbers are arbitrary. In the next draft, I'll be issuing some damage nerfs to a few of his abilities.