Can we please fix the ELO System already?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Void Creatures

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-26-2012

Again I'm here because i think that the ELO system doesn't rank you on your performances/skills during a ranked game but mostly on the leavers on opposite team, feeder on opposite team, troll on opposite team.

Riot can you not do more? Can you not improve this game more or is this it? Always the same thing Riot nerfs/buffs to champs, new skin/champ, champion rotation etc. You have enough time and employees to make these changes so why cant you make a change to the elo systems.

Can you just stop ignoring these threads and please make a difference in our gaming atmosphere. If you look at the competitive discussion board or pvp discussion board there are literally hundreds of requests for a new ELO system.

So Riot get yourself together, get serious and make a difference.

Thank you. - Void Creatures

shadowshifte

11-26-2012

the requests also come from really bad players who think it's the system and not their play that is holding them back.

Amatzikahni

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowshifte View Post
the requests also come from really bad players who think it's the system and not their play that is holding them back.
Not only this, but I haven't seen the OP make a suggestion that will work. It's because none exists.

If you feel like a workover exists, please share it. I've disproved hundreds of ideas, so I'm well versed in many of the failed suggestions.

Wait, it's a Junior Member posting. He just made this forum account to vent his anger instead of contributing positively to the community. He probably won't respond.

With regard to his argument, though, I think he fails to see that millions of Ranked games are played every day yet the number of people complaining about "Elo Hell" on these forums is less than 100 per day (probably closer to ~20 per day, but why not add some leeway). In this case, the population complaining about "Elo Hell" is maybe about 0.0001%. Clearly the system isn't working as intended.

Void Creatures

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowshifte View Post
Can you help me reach my desired elo? 1500. Just give me tips then

Selcopa

11-26-2012

Universal tip: figure out what you do wrong(usually by watching your replays but also watching streams help) and fix it.

Gain elo

Sleipnir of Hel

11-27-2012

Want an idea to fix the elo system? Here's one:

Don't lose elo because of leavers, and maybe intentional feeders. I mean, people who from the start of the match do not leave the fountain, and people who literally walk into a tower and die repeatedly, obviously giving kills without any intention of playing the game.

But how to implement? I mean, you gotta tell the difference between people who just suck, and people who intentionally ruin games right? Well, why not leave it to the tribunal? I dunno, we could always have an elo refund for an obviously ruined game. Have the tribunal review the GAME and not just the player, and if there's elements of an intentionally ruined game, refund the elo to the people who didn't intentionally lose.

I mean, i don't know about all of you guys, but my first 5 ranked games season 3 had at least 1 afk on one of the teams.

CredibleMushroom

11-27-2012

Why not make more use of the Tribunal? For reports in ranked games where the party is voted guilty, retroactively double the elo loss of the guilty party and halve it (aka return half the lost elo) for their team.

The issue with elo hell isn't "bad players that pridefully think they deserve better" it's that once you get below a certain threshold, games involving players leaving or actively trying lose occurs in almost every match. Yes this balances out on both sides, but the issue is that it keeps happening because those players continue to be grouped with struggling but sincere players. The result is those sincere players feel trapped, get frustrated, and become bitter or stop playing. That's not a good result for Riot or the community (as a whole, obviously it does not directly impact high end players)

Seems to me (granted, have only been playing since S2) that if you had a system in place to identify legitimate complaints (the Tribunal) you could tie that system into the Elo ranking system to accelerate the fall of toxic players at a faster rate than players who are trying their hardest but just aren't good.

Amatzikahni

11-27-2012

Elo shouldn't be left to the Tribunal. If you can change someone's Elo well past the game that the faults happened in, then potential abuse can happen. Easily someone can duo with a smurf and have them do all sorts of junk for multiple games, then the main player can get near a certain threshold Elo (maybe 1480ish) and wait for the Tribunal to kick in, and when it does, he'll get free rating and hit 1500 with no effort. If this happens near the top of the chart, players can reach impossibly high ratings.

A full-fledged solution is one that works from all angles. This one doesn't do that.

If you're talking about the Tribunal sorting this stuff out, it already does. Guilty players receive increasingly harsher penalties until eventually they get permabanned and never influence the Ranked scene again (or, at least until they make a new account and play 300+ games to get back to 30).

CredibleMushroom

11-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amatzikahni View Post
Easily someone can duo with a smurf and have them do all sorts of junk for multiple games, then the main player can get near a certain threshold Elo (maybe 1480ish) and wait for the Tribunal to kick in, and when it does, he'll get free rating and hit 1500 with no effort. If this happens near the top of the chart, players can reach impossibly high ratings.
If they can advance to 1480 on their own why would they bother with a smurf intentionally getting reported? Or are you presuming this would only be done when it looks like a loss?

Not sure how this example would be relevant.

Amatzikahni

11-28-2012

The example is relevant because it shows that the system can be heavily abused. All you have to do is forcefully lose ~10 games duo queuing with different troll accounts, then slaughter noobs solo to get back to your rating and wait for the tribunal to give you a free 100+ Elo.