AP Caster itemization is amazing

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS1d413e2874b65a94708e7

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikemoto Bot View Post
Riot has said it 100million times now.

The reason that AD caster itemization will never be as awesome as AP itemization is because you have an additional ability with a 1:1 AD ratio that AP casters don't have access to (aka an auto attack). Just because it's not optimal doesn't mean it's not available, and so AD casters will never get the crazy itemization options that AP characters have.
I play Riven and my AA scaling is 1,5:1 :O

glittergirl1995

11-26-2012

Riot tried this, it doesnt work.

The problem is if you make strong AD caster items it will make Bruisers broken as hell.

Example? Van Damm's Pillager. Meant to make ad casters solid in TT, actual result was to make Darius, Olaf, Lee, Riven even more broken as hell

glittergirl1995

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corseth View Post
This is usually address in ratios; Talon's Rake for instance has a 1.2 AD ratio, whereas many cone effects for AP's like Annie's Incinerate have less (0.75 AP ratio in that instance).

Honestly I don't understand why they didn't make AP fewer 'points' but with higher ratios. It seems kinda silly to make stuff give high amounts of AP but have most ratio's under 1. You'd think you'd set some baseline 4s cd nuke as the "1 ratio" instead.
That wouldn't change anything about the gameplay, kind of a redundant change. Other than making AP champs destroy buildings more slowly

bunies

11-26-2012

the reason is actualy simple

ad casters are broken in thier concept.

Corseth

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by glittergirl1995 View Post
That wouldn't change anything about the gameplay, kind of a redundant change. Other than making AP champs destroy buildings more slowly
No, I mean, thats kinda the point.

Ever play a game where enemies have millions of HP and attacks do tens of thousands of damage? Where you could just cut off zeros and change nothing?

I'm just musing on how arbitrary it is that AP is about 2:1 with AD but ratios are around half.

Xyltin

11-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikemoto Bot View Post
Riot has said it 100million times now.

The reason that AD caster itemization will never be as awesome as AP itemization is because you have an additional ability with a 1:1 AD ratio that AP casters don't have access to (aka an auto attack). Just because it's not optimal doesn't mean it's not available, and so AD casters will never get the crazy itemization options that AP characters have.
True, but you can balance these champs around their AA.

AD casters have normally lower scalings (base dmg and AD scalings) compared to AP champ. Or they have higher CDs on their skills, but their faster AA.
But AD casters have a normal AA range.

The best way would have been to give an SAD (Skill AD) stat so that ADC and AA don't get increased through that.
Or AD items for melee onlys (like the new Tiamat and Hydra) so that ranged ADC can be seperated a bit more from Melee AD champs.

In Dota you get Str or Agi. And based on how the hero needs to be played, he gets one of these 2 main attributes (i ignore int, cause I want to show melee vs ranged and mobility + burst vs sticky and DSP).

You get HP + DMG as a Strength hero.
And with Agility you get HP + Armor.

I don't say that Riot has to implement such a system, but both systems (Dota and lol) have their advantages and disadvantages.
- Dota limits the itemization way more through these main stats.
- lol limits the strength of melee AD champs vs Ranged AD champs cause they use the same stats (or at least AD).

This is actually a problem in their stat system and not in their itemization. More items won't make the melee AD section much better (only more variety, what would also be good, cause AP has way more varierty) but more fun to play.
But to fix melee ADC and AD assassins and probably also AD casters (Garen), some pure melee AD items have to get introduced.

But there is a problem (or better said: AP itemization is nearly ideal, while AD is way more limited) and it can be solved. There is probably more than one sollution, but the important factor is time. Does Riot want to spend that much time for 2 melee ADC and 3 AD assassins (and 2-3 AD casters).