"No, you are NEVER getting [insert limited skin here]"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Udyrfrykte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-25-2012

The first time I played LoL about a year and a half ago, Kat was on the Free Week rotation. I gave her a shot (did absolutely terrible) but really enjoyed her, so when the game ended I went to the champion roster to see what skins she had. Immediately upon seeing Kitty Kat, I wanted it. I browsed over to the store and, to my utter dissapointment, it wasn't there. It was only later that I learned the skin wasn't even available any more, which made me wonder why you could see it on the champion roster if you couldn't buy it.

As much as I'd love to have Kitty Kat Katarina, I wouldn't want Riot to go back on a "promise" they made for fear they might do it again over something that actually matters.

Zastie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-25-2012

Why are you re-posting something already posted..

Just cusrious.

Kraemer

11-25-2012

I think that being so ardently against reselling holiday skins, but there are ones that should stay unique, such as the season end rewards, king rammus, etc., because they come from achievement. You wouldn't want to hand out an award to anybody who has cash, you hand them out to people who achieve.

SpiritHacker

11-25-2012

Heh, came here expecting something very different from what I found. +1 op, thanks for bringing this to its own thread. I think it was too buried in all the Garena QQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlemming View Post
I think it's all about the exclusivity, people don't like it when their incentive at the time to buy it (It will be gone later) is nullified by a rerelease later
That's true, but some of those same people also just don't like sharing, they just want to have the ability to say "ha ha I have this and you can't." One particular person, for example, likes to run from 2k thread to 2k thread downvoting and waving his limited skins in the op's face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman POJO View Post
this also, the people who got the skin were around when it came out as a limited edition (i only have 1 which is the nocturne skin). giving it away now after two years who go against the fact that it was released as a 1 time only deal. Caving into the newer people, who are crying about wanting it opened again (which is also selfish) isnt the way to do, what would people who actually were there get in exhange?
This is true. But what's wrong with the 2k trades? As I've tried to point out again and again, that doesn't change how exclusive it is. X people bought it initially and X people own it, one particular copy just changed hands. I honestly don't see a need to involve GD at all; do you need approval from your entire town when you want to buy your next-door-neighbor's vintage car? Don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Io Reign View Post
This, those of us with older limited skins (I.E. all the kat skins everyone is trying to trade for) have them because we were around then. They show our age and that we are veterans of the game. It's not that we're losing things by trading them, it's that trading them invalidates them for everyone else. You could start today and trade for a skin I've had for years, meaning I no longer appear to be a veteran, because I might have just traded for it.
I've been playing for a year so maybe I just don't get it, but what exactly is so special about being a 3yr veteran? It doesn't necessarily mean you're pro; I'm sure there are "weekend warriors" who have been playing awhile, just for fun, and aren't necessarily high elo. It doesn't even necessarily mean you spent more time or money than anyone else, because RL happens and hiatuses happen. If I was to take this 1yr account, walk away, and come back in two years, I'd technically be a 3yr veteran. But somebody who was playing for 6mo would have a better grasp of game mechanics at that point.

Not trying to belittle you or your time here, just trying to provoke some thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal Warden View Post
There is a slightly legitimate mentality to it though. Those skins are legacy based on time. That time has been invested. People spend two and a half years on a game, contributing their little bit and their time to improve the game and keep the community strong and full. They see those skins as a badge, showing players that they've toughed things out with Riot. It's kind of like a plaque that says "3 years of patronage" that is then given to someone who has given up 3 months of their time.

Now I'm not saying don't reintroduce the Legacy skins, I'm just saying there is another side to it, that isn't as juvenile as it would first appear.
Now this I can understand. Well stated sir.

Question for you though: what of the veterans who don't try to keep the community strong and full? The ones who abuse their status as veteran to talk down to the newer players and rage when those newer players go "hey, this looks cool, would somebody be willing to trade me?" Do those veterans deserve the same as those who have carried the community for however long? I would say no.

Also, I don't know the exact dates some of these skins were discontinued, but it seems to have been quite awhile ago. What of the people who joined shortly after the skin was discontinued and are veterans in their own right now? Why not let them leverage their own status?

Again, not trying to diss any of our veteran players. I just like providing food for thought.

Exinoxics

11-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanhaven View Post
Was there a specific reason you had to take this post from the thread it is currently in and repost it in its own thread?

Also here's to hoping NA Riot starts using the same policy Garena is.
what policy is garena using?

Chihaya Kisaragi

11-25-2012

I've only been playing until March and I really wanted the Striker Ezreal skin once I saw it for the first time.
Saddens me that some people bought it for the sole reason that it wouldn't be available anymore in later years. And apparently it was 520rp? jeez.

seredhras

11-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exinoxics View Post
what policy is garena using?
garena is rereleasing some skins which are limited edition

I'm not sure why garena is allowed to do this but I think it has something to do with the fact that garena is somewhat separate from riot and never made a limited edition promise

TheKMAP

11-25-2012

world of warcraft wouldnt exist without epeen

its a necessary evil

same thing applies here for skins

The Canadian Kid

11-25-2012

well if they remove the limitation from a limited article its not really limited. should just make it available for purchase :/

Waffletimewarp

11-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincarnation View Post
Saddens me I want Definitely Not Blitzcrank, but it came out Harrowing 2011 long before i started playing. They wont bring it back because they promised never to sell them again in the store, but I would be happy if riot invented some bizzarre way to give them away.

Some people bought them because they were limited time only and by not makingit liited you invalidate their reason for purchasing the skin
And then changed their minds completely from then on it seems. This years Harrowing skins are Legacy.