A place for Olaf

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Saltyboyy

04-28-2013

I feel like there is a big problem with Olaf at the moment. For example Olaf's role is to be an anti carry and go into a teamfight and pop his ulti and go after the carry. But who needs that when you can play renekton and get artificial health and sit in their team while stunning the adc. I feel like most champions under powered or not shine in their own little way. I do not feel like Olaf has that little thing that makes him special. For example even though Leblanc is not considered very strong she is exrtememely bursty and can take out most squishes even when not fed. Sion who is considered out of date and not good can still wreck an entire team if their is not that much cc and he is well farmed. I do not have a problem with Olaf being weak, but at least give him his own little role like the way he was before the nerfs. Because right now he can't do anything special. And honestly he's not even fun to play anymore . I want my Olaf back.

Bronicorn

04-28-2013

I was about to say olaf can do all this in the jungle, but then I remembered a renekton jungle game I once had and I did pretty well. Olaf is a sad case.

VilheimOfTorm

04-28-2013

He is in a tough spot because of all the Season 3 itemization changes. He used to be able to stack health and do true damage to burst and destroy people, but now there are way too many %health items for him to be as tanky as he used to be, and he isnt nearly as strong if you build him for damage.

Riot nerfed his ult at the beginning of Season 3 because health was THE stat making olaf really strong, then they gave a tonne of champions % health damage, made liandrys and Blade of the ruined king which would have fixed him by itself.

They need to figure out if they are happy with itemization, and if they are olaf will need a slight fix of some sort. He is still strong, and a lot of fun, but easy to counter mid / late game. On the plus side i hear he has the fastest jungle clear time in the game (except for some niche shaco build). I could be wrong but hes still hella fast.

Hekatian

04-28-2013

His place is owning Riven and Irelia.

Demon Sentinel

04-28-2013

I just bought Olaf because his kit seemed pretty good, played 3 games and lost every one. Not sure what the problem is, I rushed frozen mallet. Maxed R>E>W>Q. I really thought his passive would be stronger but it didnt seem to save me. I was confused between using 21/9/0 or 9/21/0 masteries on him as well.

Misty Sunrise

04-28-2013

Olaf has seen LCS time so i believe there are champions which need attention more than him.

Saltyboyy

04-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Sunrise View Post
Olaf has seen LCS time so i believe there are champions which need attention more than him.
Olaf was used in the LCS before his nerfs. I believe he was played once after, but with very little success. I believe he is one of the most underpowered champions at the moment.

Saltyboyy

04-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronicorn View Post
I was about to say olaf can do all this in the jungle, but then I remembered a renekton jungle game I once had and I did pretty well. Olaf is a sad case.
Yea the nerf to the slow on his Q pretty much gutted his already sub par ganking.

ROKAF JE

04-30-2013

Olaf still destroys anyone he wants. You can't get rid of him.
Shurelyas Randuins - good luck escaping, ever.

Renekton can be stopped and does far less damage.

Voyboys Olaf double kill against a karthus and MF may have opened their eyes.
http://youtu.be/HjOBv8SlVb4

He wasnt even snowballed ahead of them.
In fact, he was behind.
They also let him blue buff axe them to death (damn near instant cast)

This is just one example of many issues with Olafs power. The game must be balanced around competitive play, otherwise there can't be any.

If you want to argue win rate, it was garbage before the nerf and remains garbage after.

Saltyboyy

04-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Sentinel View Post
I just bought Olaf because his kit seemed pretty good, played 3 games and lost every one. Not sure what the problem is, I rushed frozen mallet. Maxed R>E>W>Q. I really thought his passive would be stronger but it didnt seem to save me. I was confused between using 21/9/0 or 9/21/0 masteries on him as well.
First of all frozen mallet is a pretty bad item so i would not recommend using it on anyone. Also olaf scales mostly with health and cdr so i would recommend working towards a spirit visage, spirit of the ancient golem, or locket. His jungling kinda sucks because he cant really gank so i would recommend you go top lane. Spirit of the Ancient golem is actually a great item on lane olaf and jungle olaf because it gives him all the stats he needs and it is very cost efficient. Another great item is brutalizer because of the armor pen to help replace the armor pen he lost from his ultimate passive removal. However I usually do not get that as a first item unless i am winning my lane because I will be very squishy. My reccomendation is to start with a rejuvenation bead and 5 pots and 1 mana pot and a ward, or flask and 1 hp pot and a ward. Then buy 1 or 2 dorans blades, then get either spirit of the ancient golem or locket against physical dmg or spirit visage against magic dmg. Then build for what your team needs. You are Olaf so you do not need to build damage except for a little armor pen, so it mainly comes down to maxing that cdr for as many reckless swings as possible and health to make your steroid give you tons of free ad. He sounds good on paper, but in game he does not stack up to other bruisers. O yea and by the way max Q after E you normally max W last.