Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Item][Minor]Vayne's Silver Bolts not applied with Runaan's Hurricane

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Faera Gaelwyn

11-21-2012

Priority: Minor

Description: It's possible (leaning on the side of 'likely') that this is working as intended, but I felt I might as well make a mention of it since I couldn't find any other threads regarding the subject.

Vayne's Silver Bolts on-hit skill is not compatible with the Runaan's Hurricane item. The item fires two projectiles at targets near the player's main target and is supposed to apply on-hit effects, as silver bolts' tool tip says "The third consecutive attack or ability against the same target deals a percentage of the target's maximum health as bonus true damage." Since the 2 attacks from Runaan's hurricane are separate from her basic attack, would they not also count as 'consecutive attacks against the same target'? Yet the silver bolts effect is only applied to the target vayne is directly attacking.

Repro Steps:
1. Play as Vayne.
2. Purchase Runaan's Hurricane.
3. Attack an enemy unit that is near one or more other enemy units.
4. Silver Bolts only applied to the current target of basic attacks.

As said previously, this may be working as intended, yet it feels like it makes the item wholly useless to vayne. Taking varus for example, he can rapidly gain stacks of his %hp on hit skill on many targets. Granted, vayne's skill is true damage, so it's understandable if this is working as intended.

Voidgolem

11-21-2012

Working as intended (As the tooltip also says: Silver bolts can only be applied to one target at a time - If they worked with hurricane, nobody would get stacks ever)

viperesque

11-21-2012

Intentional because silver bolts can't stack on multiple targets at once. If Hurricane worked with it, you would never ever get a bolts proc, so they coded it not to work.

kevybear

11-21-2012

i would like to know as well if it was intended or not

Edit: oh ok

Faera Gaelwyn

11-21-2012

Quote:
Silver Bolts
Passive
Every third consecutive attack or ability against an enemy deals 20 plus 4% the enemy's maximum Health as true damage. (Max 200 vs. Monsters)

That is the exact phrasing of the skill description in game, the tooltip description in my initial post was copied from the champion info window reached by selecting the champion under the 'Champions' tab in the Profile menu.
It does not specifically say 'can only be applied to one target' if it did I wouldn't have made this thread... That effect is taken as a given since the skill is procced on consecutive hits which, if you changed targets, would mean they aren't consecutive hits. However, if you're attacking one target consecutively and the item is attacking one target on the right and one target on the left, each being a separate attack, consecutively attacking the same targets, one would think they would apply the counters to their targets. That is what logic whispers to me. The only reason why I could see it not working this way is simply to prevent her from using it, as the damage would certainly be substantial, but it would also give her the aoe damage she lacks in comparison to most every other adc I know of.

Maoster101

11-21-2012

would be cool if each secondary bolt had their own special silver bolts proc, again with similar rules to her main shot

Wriggle

Adjudicator

11-21-2012

Quote:
Faera Gaelwyn:
However, if you're attacking one target consecutively and the item is attacking one target on the right and one target on the left, each being a separate attack, consecutively attacking the same targets, one would think they would apply the counters to their targets.
They do. And by "counters" I mean "it sets it to 1".

Silver Bolts works on this logic:
1. Silver Bolts is an on-hit effect on your basic attack or your spells.
* Note: Hurricane secondary bolts qualify as "your basic attack."
2. Upon your basic attack or your spell colliding with an enemy:
2a. If target has Silver Bolt stacks:
2a1. Increase stack counter.
2a2. If stack counter is 3, explode and reset counter to 0.
2b. Otherwise, if target has no Silver Bolt stacks:
2b1: Apply 1 Silver Bolt charge.
2b2: Remove Silver Bolts from all other [target's team] units.

Therefore, you strike the first target with Silver Bolts for the fist time. It goes along the path 1,2,2b,2b1,2b2. Hurricane lashes out to the second target, and it follows the codepath again: 1,2,2b,2b1,2b2 - and 2b2 removes Silver Bolts from other units. It does this because you have to attack the enemy three times consecutively (in a row) to proc Silver Bolts. Attacking any other enemies at all within this three-hit-timeframe makes it so that enemy was not hit three times consecutively and will reset your progress.

It's less "Hurricane was explicitly coded to not allow Silver Bolt volley truedamming multiple enemies" and more "Hurricane was explicitly coded to prevent Silver Bolt from never, ever working", because no matter what, that first scenario wouldn't occur unless your volley hit the same enemy three times before going to another enemy.

You are targetting a single enemy with your basic attack, but your attacks themselves are hitting other enemies, so you will never reach "every third consecutive attack" because you never hit the same target more than once in a row.

Twillera

11-21-2012

If you auto a minion once, putting on stack on it, then auto another, u lose the first stack. You are never able to put it on more then one champ.

Void2258

11-21-2012

This was addressed by a rioter somewhere in the huge thread about hurricane (the preview one). It is not meant to stack Vayne's bolts, and it is not expected you will build hurricane on Vayne at all.

Flamingfurball

11-21-2012

Quote:
Faera Gaelwyn:
That is the exact phrasing of the skill description in game, the tooltip description in my initial post was copied from the champion info window reached by selecting the champion under the 'Champions' tab in the Profile menu.
It does not specifically say 'can only be applied to one target' if it did I wouldn't have made this thread... That effect is taken as a given since the skill is procced on consecutive hits which, if you changed targets, would mean they aren't consecutive hits. However, if you're attacking one target consecutively and the item is attacking one target on the right and one target on the left, each being a separate attack, consecutively attacking the same targets, one would think they would apply the counters to their targets. That is what logic whispers to me. The only reason why I could see it not working this way is simply to prevent her from using it, as the damage would certainly be substantial, but it would also give her the aoe damage she lacks in comparison to most every other adc I know of.

"consecutive"

since that item counts as 3 different basic attacks you will never get to apply more then one stack of silver bolts on your target