Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Varus and Syndra connections?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lithe Ruby

11-21-2012

Is there a connection between Varus and Syndra?
I saw the splash art for the new Arclight Varus, (http://i.imgur.com/rezaU.jpg for those of you who haven't seen it), and it reminded me of something... Oh right, Syndra. (http://lolwp.com/wp-content/uploads/Justicar-Syndra.jpg)
First of all, Varus and Syndra's original skin both are purple, and have similar black/purple aura particles. It'd be a bit far-fetched to claim something based solely off of that, though they both eventually get skins that have their demeanor COMPLETELY flipped to something that's almost holy looking. They both also have their 'dark auras' (black/purple particles for their skills) turn into 'light auras' (yellow particles).
Lore-wise connection?
Varus had his entire family killed when he was defending a temple in Ionia. Although his splash art doesn't reflect this, his in-game model is holding a necklace. (http://clgaming.net/redtracker/35775-sticky-varus-creative-design-ask-me-anything) His developer states that his necklace is a family memento. In his lore, it also states that he was in a small village. Now for Syndra, she has a necklace in her splash art and was also mentioned to be born in a small village. They both don't know the rest of their family, so is there a possibility that these two are related in some way?

My friends idea:
"Varus and Syndra both have a weird corruption in them, but there's no way they're the only ones. When Varus accepted the tain of the corruption, it seeped out of him to access more power, as the corruption wants to eradicate all life, right? So, it would use that to acquire Syndra as a child, how she got her powers. The necklace they have most likely is a fragment of either their purity or the taint, and is either why they're not dead or why they have the power they do. Syndra already had a lot of potential as a mage, but the taint drove her to obtain so much more power than she could have otherwise, and it's only using her. In her own powers, Syndra is not much better than the average mage, but the taint amplifies each ability she can have to be so much more. We're not done there, though. The taint isn't going to stop at two people if it can continue to obtain more power and spread to more people, so expect to see more champions with a hidden linkage to the corruption in the future; and if you see the necklace again, on another champion with the black/purple particle colors, you know I'm right.
SPOILER ALERT: LAST CHAMPION RELEASE OF THE YEAR IS GOING TO BE THE CORRUPTION'S TRUE FORM"

Quote:
? KeNNy u:
The only actual similarity / connection between them is that they're both made by Meddler. Moving on.

They're both also made my the same developer.

Lithe Ruby

11-21-2012

Bump.

Dr W

11-21-2012

both Ionian as far as I know. Atleast I think Syndra has a floating castle above Ionia or something

Lithe Ruby

11-21-2012

Quote:
Dr W:
both Ionian as far as I know. Atleast I think Syndra has a floating castle above Ionia or something

Varus is near a floating castle in the splash of his new skin, too.

Lithe Ruby

11-21-2012

Bump.

Lithe Ruby

11-21-2012

Bump.

dashwinner

11-21-2012

cool

PhailRaptor

Adjudicator

11-21-2012

They may be creating one with the skins, but there is not any Lore related connection beyond both being from Ionia.

xIElianIx

11-21-2012

Their necklace is suspicious

DizzyPW

11-21-2012

Top notch sleuthing.