Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Urgot: A Marvel of Modern Thaumaturgy

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Glorystain

10-08-2010

This is my first guide for LOL so here goes. I saved up for weeks before Urgot came out and have been playing him nonstop since he was released. I think a lot of summoners had trouble figuring out how to make him tick and so he has lost a lot of popularity, which is fine by me. I love having a hero nobody ever bans or picks.

Overview
I think Urgot’s role is confusing to some people, so here’s the skinny: Urgot is a ranged DPS hero, similar in some ways to Ashe. Acid Hunter has one of the longest ranges of any attack in the game and can be spammed for impressive DPS. The finer points of Urgot requires an understanding of game mechanics and team positioning, making him tricky to play if you don’t have sufficient experience in the league.

When building Urgot, focus primarily on armor penetration and raw attack damage.

Pre Game
Your summoner skills are Flash and Ghost. Urgot relies heavily on field position to be effective and he isn’t the toughest hero around so having these abilities will greatly enhance both your ability to attack heroes and to escape bad situations.

As for Masteries, I play a 13/0/17 build. I max both Deadliness and Archmage's Savvy, Alacrity for filler and max Sunder Armor. In utility mastery, I get Improved Ghost and Flash, Perserverence, Awareness, Meditation and Utility Mastery, and Quickness. I try to cover cooldown reduction with runes and items, but migrating some points from Savvy to Intelligence works well too.

For runes, use armor penetration marks and quintessences, mana regen seals and cooldown reduction glyphs.

With this build I start every game with a whopping 39 armor penetration, and Noxian Corrosive Charge adds another 10-30.

Skills and Builds
1) Acid Hunter
2) Noxian Corrosive Charge
3) Acid Hunter
4) Terror Capacitor
5) Acid Hunter
6) Hyper
From here, maximize your Acid Hunter first, followed by Terror Capacitor. Level off Corrosive Charge last; you really only need it for missile lock.

Acid Hunter - Urgot fires an Acid Hunter missile that collides with the first enemy it hits, slowing the target if he has his Terror Capacitor up. Acid Hunter missile-locks on enemies affected by Noxian Corrosive Charge.
Urgot fires a missile towards the cursor that deals 30/60/90/120/150 (+) physical damage.

Missile-lock can be achieved by holding the cursor over a target afflicted by Noxian Corrosive Charge.

Cost
40/40/40/40/40 Mana
Range

25000 range is what's listed in the learning center and frankly, I have no idea what units they go by. Effectively the range on this is about the same as Corrosive Charge, so 950. You can squeeze a little extra range out of this when locking by placing your target at the outer edge of your missile lock AOE, but this takes some practice. This is basically your DPS ability. Drop a charge on your target and start mashing Q. Keeping them in range is important, but easy with Terror Capacitor. The targeting is funky compared to other champions and requires some practice.

Terror Capacitor - Urgot charges up his capacitor to gain a shield. While the shield is active, Urgot gains slowing attacks.
Urgot charges up his terror capacitor to gain a shield that absorbs 80/120/160/200/240 (+0.8) damage for 7 seconds. While the shield is active, Urgot's attacks and missiles slow targets by 20/25/30/35/40%.

Cost
55/60/65/70/75 Mana
Range

I like leveling Terror Capacitor early because it gives fragile Urgot some survivability, while the slow makes kiting enemies a snap. The slowing component also makes it easier to land 3 or 4 acid hunters in a row when you hit your target with a charge.

Noxian Corrosive Charge - Urgot launches a corrosive charge that damages enemies in an area and reduces their armor.
Urgot launches a Corrosive Charge at a target location. Enemies afflicted by the charge have 10/15/20/25/30 reduced armor and take 100/155/210/265/320 (+0.8) magic damage over 5/5/5/5/5 seconds.

Acid Hunter is able to missile-lock onto targets affected by Noxian Corrosive Charge.

Cost
50/55/60/65/70 Mana
Range

The primary function of Charge is to lock your Acid Hunters. I use it exclusively for that and so put only 1 point in it at level 2 and level it last. The damage isn’t exactly staggering and it’s keyed to AP which makes it scale poorly on a damage build. The AP component is nice but with runes and masteries I’m sitting on 39 AP outright, so the extra penetration is less noticable than the slow component offered by Terror Capacitor.

Hyper-Kinetic Position Reverser - Urgot charges up his Hyper-Kinetic Position Reverser, swapping positions with the target. His target is suppressed for the duration of the channel. He gains increased armor and magic resistance after the swap.
Urgot targets an enemy champion and channels his Hyper-Kinetic Position Reverser for 1 second, swapping locations with his target afterwards. His target is suppressed for the duration of the channel.

Urgot gains 80/105/130 armor and magic resist during and after the channel, and his target is slowed by 40% for 3 seconds after being swapped.

Cost
120/120/120 Mana
Range

This ability is nothing short of amazing in so many ways. In a pinch it can be used as a stun (I often do against champions with channeled ults like Nunu or Kat). It can be useful for getting chasers off a teammate or to swap out of a gank when you find yourself cornered. But it’s primary use is as an opener on ganks to put your target in an impossible position, or towards the end of a team battle to pick off a straggler.
NEVER USE THIS TO INITIATE A TEAM BATTLE!

Zaun-Touched Bolt Augmenter - Urgot's attacks reduce his targets' damage by 15% for 2.5 seconds.
Not much to say here. It is deceptively good.

Items
To start, get Meki Pendant and 2 healing potions. Once you hit level 2 you will have complete control of your lane and enough mana to keep pressure on.

ASAP get Tear of the Gods and Boots. From there I build:

Tear of the Gods -> Manamune: Urgot needs large quantities of both mana and damage, and this provides both for a bargain. First item every game, hands down.

Sword of the Occult: Best bargain for raw DPS if you can keep charges on it. Skip it if you can’t.

Glacial Shroud -> Frozen Heart:Enhances your survivability while providing massive CDR. Synergizes well with Manamune for extra damage.

Bilgewater Cutlass -> Hextech Gunblade:Offers excellent raw damage and lifesteal. The boost to AP is helpful. The active ability is nasty, but i don’t use it often. Fun to see Urgot shoot missiles

A note on Boots: For boots, get whatever is most appropriate for your game whenever it’s most convenient. I usually go for Mercury Treads or Travelers but it varies. This is one area that should be tailored to the game.

I usually tailor the 6th item for the game. If you’re just ripping people up, you can’t go wrong with a Black Cleaver or Infinity Edge. On the other hand if you’re having trouble staying up, get a Guardian Angel. I’ve also had some success with Archangel’s Staff for enhanced utility and synergy with Manamune (5k mana ftw!) Go with whatever helps the most for whatever situation you’re in.

WTF NO BRUTALIZER NOOB?
No. No brutalizer. At level 18 I already have up to 79 armor penetration, you really think you need more? Trust me, it really isn’t necessary. Just slows you down.
BUT I REALLY REALLY WANT BRUTALIZER!
Fine. Build one. I don't care.

Strategies:
Take mid if you can. Most heroes simply can’t hang with Urgot. Early game is all about harassment and lane control, and early kills. Stick by the creep mob and send an unholy barrage of missiles at anyone who dares aproach. Focus on last hitting creeps and no more; the rest willl take care of itself. This is an awesome time to net some hero kills; by level 3 you can land 3 acid hunters over the duration of Corrosive Charge and you can do it from halfway down the lane.

Getting your ult at level 6 opens new doors; by now you can start getting more aggressive. If you can harass them to about 2/3 hp, one swap with acid hunters and terror capacitor should do them in. If you’re mid, watch your ass for ganks.

Around level 10 laning will start to break down. Focus on ganking and skirmishing; Urgot can kite very effectively, learning to do so will make you deadly. Avoid heros who are strong up close; Kat and Yi can shred you in no time flat. Keep your distance and focus on guerilla tactics.

Towards end game most teams will start to clump up. Incidentally, this is also where most people cry that urgot is underpowered. Coincidence? During team fights you want to stay as far back as you can and just lob acid hunters at whoever’s an easy target. Keep your eye out for opportunities to swap heroes; If your opponents start to back off that is a prime time to swap a straggler into your team for a quick kill. If you can keep your distance and focus fire targets you will find your job very easy. If you get enemies up in your grille you will have a hard time getting away; throw up shield and run like hell. By now you are a glass cannon; start thinking like one.

Quick Tips:
*Acid Hunters can hit wards. Use them to drop wards you see placed, and to check areas where wards are usually found.
*Learn to lead your targets with Corrosive Charge; hitting consistently is the most important skill you can develop.
*Use your terrain. Corrosive Charge has enough range and AOE to reach over most walls, so you can snipe people from weird angles and they can’t hit back.
*Corrosive Charge gives sight briefly when cast, allowing you to peek around corners and into suspicious bushes. It can also let you pull tricks like swapping an enemy through a wall that you wouldn’t otherwise have line of sight to.
*Terror Capacitor checks for slow when the hit registers. You can litterally throw your shield up while a missile is in flight to snare your target.
*Coordinate with your team to swap opponents through walls and over terrain to hinder their escape.
*Corrosive Charge will give you time to lock 3-5 Acid Hunters depending on the status of your equipment. Learning to count those shots will help you know when to peel off and regroup between harassments.
*Know your ranges. Urgot effectively has a super long range attack (acid hunter) and short range (basic). Do not neglect your basic attack! You are heavily invested in damage with this build so it hits hard. Maximize your DPS by learning to close to short range and shift between the two.
*Use your buffs. An early golem buff is like having a flat 25% increase to your damage, and Urgot can take golem down with minimal effort starting around level 5. Lizard buff is not as important but still good.
*Wear seatbelts.
*Avoid melee DPS heroes. Kat, Yi, Akali, Tryndamere, etc. are the bane of your existence.

The End.
I hope you found this guide both helpful and informative. I will continue to update and modify things as I see fit. Now go eat a face.

sierskan

10-08-2010

I'm really not a big fan of frozen heart, but my mind is little bit cloudy concerning it in this build.

I see how it could boost you, but i don't know how it actually would work Ingame, i think he should use that spot for some health.

Other then that, i'm going to try your guide out. I also bought Urgot and loved playing him at first, but he is really weak in some aspects. Thanks for pointing out the skirmishing, it's really vital to urgot !

KADAMA

10-08-2010

erm.......good guide.....for the unknowing.....

Psychic Phantom

10-08-2010

13/0/19 is impossible, you might want to edit that.

Lorifel

Recruiter

10-08-2010

Would Clairvoyance summonner spell help you to lead runners with your guiding missiles? I take it for my Kog'Maw for the same purpose.

Loonybin

10-08-2010

25000 range is like the whole map...

Haruhiist

10-08-2010

wait, 25000 range?

Glorystain

10-08-2010

Quote:
PsychicPhantom:
13/0/19 is impossible, you might want to edit that.

Edited, thanks.

Quote:
Lorifel:
Would Clairvoyance summonner spell help you to lead runners with your guiding missiles? I take it for my Kog'Maw for the same purpose.

Yes, it would. I think positioning is typically more important, and the AOE on missile guidance is actually large enough to make following a target pretty easy if you know how people move. If you have trouble with that sort of thing then it isn't a bad choice but you will really miss whatever you give up for it.

Quote:
Haruhiist:
wait, 25000 range?

25000 range is what's listed in the learning center and frankly, I have no idea what units they go by. Without lock, the range seems to be about the same or slightly shorter than Mundo's cleaver or Ezriels mystic shot, so around 1000. With Corrosive Charge on, I can lock people pretty much across my whole screen. As long as both Urgot and my target are visible, hunters will lock. Also if locked they can travel much further, such as when Kassadin flashes away mid flight.

Quote:
sierskan:
I'm really not a big fan of frozen heart, but my mind is little bit cloudy concerning it in this build.

I see how it could boost you, but i don't know how it actually would work Ingame, i think he should use that spot for some health.

Other then that, i'm going to try your guide out. I also bought Urgot and loved playing him at first, but he is really weak in some aspects. Thanks for pointing out the skirmishing, it's really vital to urgot !

I chose Frozen Heart primarily for its massive CDR and I've never been disappointed by it. The only other item that might be worth considering is Nashor's Tooth, but I feel that attack speed is generally a wasted stat on Urgot, and flat mana works better with Manamune than mana regeneration. Acid Hunter accounts for probably 70% of your damage, so Frozen Heart is like having a flat 25% increase to damage.

Sprsck

10-08-2010

It's nice to see a guide very similar to how I play Urgot.

I swap between Brutalizer and SotO based on who I am playing with and against, since if I can't get kills, or if the other team is stacked there is no reason to go SotO if I'm not confident. Also, I use HP quints, so the ArPen on The Brutalizer helps.

I've never run Frozen Heart on Urgot, but I can see how it would work, so I may try it.

Also, one game I did get a Nashor's just to see, and it actually worked very well. I think I ended up 14 and 1 or something to that effect.

I run Frozen Mallet to give Crabgot a bit of survivability as well, and with Terror Capacitor, there is no way a target will get away from you.

Overall very good guide, 10/10.

Glorystain

10-09-2010

Bump for more input