An Honest Plea for Help/Advice In Regards to Elo

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WinnieDaP00

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-20-2012

I don't consider myself a great player by any means. I'm a casual LoL'er and have fun playing the game. I'm pushing 700 normal wins so I feel like I have a pretty good idea of how to play this game, though like anyone I have my good games and bad games.

But I'm stuck between 1k and 1.2k elo. I know this isn't necessarily awful, and I could be delusional but I honestly think I'm better than 1.1k (averaging them out). I main mid and top, with support being my third best position. ADC and Jungle I am able to do, but I'm definitely not as good at those as other spots. Anyway, when I mid or top I do well the majority of the time. As of late I've had some ridiculous problems with lagging out every game but I still manage to do well. But it's never quite enough to carry my team.

I know there are things I myself could be doing better to climb out. I could call plays better and be more of a leader in directing my team (though usually when i try i get "stfu" type responses...people here are mature lol). But majority of the time I feel like there are several players on my team that are hopeless....lost causes, if you will. They have no clue what is going on, will dive in 1v5 then scream at the team for not helping. They brainlessly autoattack minions, failing to last hit at all and pushing their lane, not warding, then crying about getting ganked and how the jungler is failing (can't gank a pushed lane...thot this was obvious but it's not at this elo), they think it's a good idea to chase wayyyy farther than they should and die because of it. Mistakes are more consistent than good plays. I have my fair share of bad plays but I recognize them and learn from them, these guys keep doing the same things over and over and throw the game.

I know if I was truly belonging at like 1.6k or higher I should be able to carry easy...I don't consider myself that high, but I think I belong more around 1.4k or so, because i seem to understand this game a helluva lot better than the majority of players i'm currently stuck with. I've played with people 1.4-1.5k elo in normals (I know, normals...nonetheless they were rated that high) and I more than held my own. I actually did well, and it was so relieving being with people that had a clue. And playing solo lanes, I did great. I feel like if I could play with these levels of players (which I feel I more accurately measure up to than 1k elo players) then I would have a much smoother experience with a coherent team that knew what the heck they were doin.

At my current elo, there is at least one feeder every game, or someone who dc's at early lvls, or someone who is insecure or something and bashes everyone from the start, or trolls, or something...there's always something. I try my best to carry, to call plays, to keep everyone positive and friendly, but it's never quite enough no matter how well I do.

Does anyone who has been in my situation and climbed out have any specific advice? I sure would appreciate it! I want to learn and get better at this game and get to a level where I can carry myself out of this elo on my own without having to rely on people who I've learned I can't trust.

TL;DR - I'm not pro by any means but feel like I am a better player than 1-1.2k elo judging by the people I play with. I feel I should be more around 1.4k or so. What can I do to get better and get there?

WinnieDaP00

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-20-2012

shameless bump

WinnieDaP00

11-21-2012

bumpity bumperz

Anyone wanna help someone who sincerely wants to get better out?

I just dropped below 1k elo for the first time in my life. We were up 8-0 with 2 towers down like 15 mins into game, bot lane feeds hard going 1/14 over the next several minutes, team starts playing blame-game, and we lose. unreal

Irie Vibrator

11-21-2012

If you were really up that much, then it's your fault and your mid's fault that you guys lost that game. 8-0 with 2 towers at 15 minutes, but a bot lane that's feeding, means you and mid had your towers down and still didn't help out your failing bot lane.

DeathByWaffle

11-21-2012

I'm a top lane main, so I'll give you what advice I can. Some of the advice I'll give probably wont apply to some roles, such as jungle or adc. It's most relevant to top lane.

1. Choose your best two roles to practice and practice how to support as well. If you don't want to support, don't do ranked. For reference, I am best with top and know how to do mid and support as well.

2. Play a few hundred more normals to practice. I hardly ever touched ranked except near the end of the seasons to get my free skins in both seasons and I've been playing pretty much since beta.

3. When you practice, learn to win your lanes on your own without anyone ganking for you. Learn to deal with their jungler ganking your lane and still win anyway. You must be able to win your lane consistently over many matches or if that's impossible due to the fact that you have been counter picked, learn to tie match ups. Even in the worst match ups, it's possible to at least farm passively and not die if you know what to do. If it's this case, try to remain within 20 cs of your opponent. This is immensely useful to the team because now your jungler can focus his ganks completely on the other two lanes and still rely on you to win yours without him.

4. Never play the blame game. It serves no purpose and accomplishes absolutely nothing. Also, stop believing in Elo hell if you currently believe it exists. It doesn't exist especially if you are looking at a sample size of tens of matches. It takes a lot more than that to get to high elo.

Well, long story short, improve your individual skill. Teamwork is important, yes, but individual skill takes precedence over that when practicing. Why? Because a person will contribute his most to the team if he's actually a good player. A bad player with good teamwork will still make too many costly mistakes. That's not to say teamwork isn't important, just that you should improve your own individual skill before thinking about that.

blackoutabyss

11-21-2012

It happens a lot..... you're not alone.... but there's not really anything you can do about it I'm sorry

WinnieDaP00

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by loluthuck View Post
If you were really up that much, then it's your fault and your mid's fault that you guys lost that game. 8-0 with 2 towers at 15 minutes, but a bot lane that's feeding, means you and mid had your towers down and still didn't help out your failing bot lane.
We did try to help. The support and adc seemed oblivious to pings and everything and never helped in ganks but as soon as we left they'd tower dive and die. Almost like they were trying to spite us haha

Crowcaine

11-21-2012

Play one champion for a gazillion games til youre like tim tebow or donald trump and get all the money

Luhz

11-21-2012

i only read the tl;dr but the idea is that if you can't carry yourself to higher elo you dont deserve it

WinnieDaP00

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByWaffle View Post
I'm a top lane main, so I'll give you what advice I can. Some of the advice I'll give probably wont apply to some roles, such as jungle or adc. It's most relevant to top lane.

1. Choose your best two roles to practice and practice how to support as well. If you don't want to support, don't do ranked. For reference, I am best with top and know how to do mid and support as well.

2. Play a few hundred more normals to practice. I hardly ever touched ranked except near the end of the seasons to get my free skins in both seasons and I've been playing pretty much since beta.

3. When you practice, learn to win your lanes on your own without anyone ganking for you. Learn to deal with their jungler ganking your lane and still win anyway. You must be able to win your lane consistently over many matches or if that's impossible due to the fact that you have been counter picked, learn to tie match ups. Even in the worst match ups, it's possible to at least farm passively and not die if you know what to do. If it's this case, try to remain within 20 cs of your opponent. This is immensely useful to the team because now your jungler can focus his ganks completely on the other two lanes and still rely on you to win yours without him.

4. Never play the blame game. It serves no purpose and accomplishes absolutely nothing. Also, stop believing in Elo hell if you currently believe it exists. It doesn't exist especially if you are looking at a sample size of tens of matches. It takes a lot more than that to get to high elo.

Well, long story short, improve your individual skill. Teamwork is important, yes, but individual skill takes precedence over that when practicing. Why? Because a person will contribute his most to the team if he's actually a good player. A bad player with good teamwork will still make too many costly mistakes. That's not to say teamwork isn't important, just that you should improve your own individual skill before thinking about that.

Thank you for constructive feedback, I really appreciate it as I just want to learn and get better so I can carry myself out even when stuck with sub-par teammates.

1. I am quite capable of playing support and do it quite often. I almost always get my adc pretty fed with strong initiations in bot lane.

2. You are right on this. I should play more normals practicing repeatedly on only a few champs. I tend to be pretty sporadic with my champ selections because I enjoy variety, but to carry out I know I should pick several main champions for diff positions and master them in normals to carry to higher elo. I will start doing this and come back to ranked later in the season.

3. For the most part I am able to stay afloat top lane even through counterpicks and ganks. If I'm counterpicked I play very passive and farm under tower, and also I try to make sure to keep river bush warded to avoid ganks, though occasionally I get tower-dove and die under tower (not sure how to always avoid this) which puts me at a disadvantage as top lane is so volatile. On occasion I get a little careless or too blood-thirsty and overextend (tunnel vision too), but I try to learn from my mistakes, still workin on that.

4. This is something I rarely struggle with. In fact, I tend to be the one on my team trying to keep everyone from wanting to rip each other's heads off. I try to keep everyone positive and optimistic, but there are so many ragers. I have had my downfalls where I do bash people sometimes, I'm human and it's hard not to get pissed when I'm on a losing streak and someone is feeding yet again. As for elo hell I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. I understand that if I was like 300-400 elo better than I am currently ranked then I would carry out of this elo. But I just feel like literally every single game I get stuck with multiple people who don't have a clue at all and idk what to do about it :/ But this is why I am looking for the advice so I can better myself, I don't want to blame everyone else for it cuz I need to accept responsibility. But it is frustrating sometimes because it is a team game and it's hard to do well in solo queue when stuck with not-great players

Thank you for advice! Keep it coming please I just want to learn and improve!