@Riot: S3 changes; Bruisers are nerfed, top lane boring

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

QQ Bro

11-20-2012

I'll start off saying i was garbage S1 and was 1750-1950s S2, so im not a pro, but i do know how to play. I've gotten 3 accounts from sub 1200s to 1500+, so im also pretty consistent, and know how to win in solo que as well as having a grasp of what works and what doesn't in a variety of elo's. I main top lane. i love it. in fact it's the only role that doesn't bore the **** out of me. sadly i feel that s3 changes will make the lane both boring and stagnant, forcing you into only playing a few champs that actually have the possibility to do well. let me explain.

I'll open with going over the changes for S3 and then explaining why this will make top lane extremely boring to play, and inevitably hurt bruisers and melee champs in general.

1) boots nerfed, base movement speed buffed.

This will be the largest and most impacting change to top lane. EVERYONE will start cloth 5 now. the lane will be nearly impossible to get early kills in. too much armor and too much sustain. early game champs will be hit extremely hard by this change, as will physical melee bruisers, especially one's with low/bad mana pools such as olaf or j4

2) increased jungle difficulty

I don't mind this change tbh. That said, it was HUGE for top lane. in fact top lane may have been the only lane actually effected by this change. increased jungle difficulty means most ganking junglers will not be able to gank early (levels 1-4). This puts top laners at significantly less risk than before, and also allows them to ( u guessed it!) start cloth 5.

3) Increased minion damage, removed indomitable (HOLY WOW, REALLY?)

This one is huge. i have not play tested the change, so it may be more minor than i realize. however, the buff will hurt melee champions in lane quite a bit, especially when their opponents are ranged (teemo against irelia for example). What does this change do you ask? it makes it impossible to win early trades as a melee champion. this is extremely bad as 80% of melee champions are geared towards early-mid game, and most ranged champions have a very weak early game. let me explain a bit further.

vlad is a common top laner. any good top laner knows u have to trade with vlad early if u want to have a chance to win the lane. this forces you (a melee champion) to take minion aggro quite often. what happens now that all vlad has to do is sit and auto attack you to win the trade? u cant trade early because the minion damage is too heavy, and no vlad will stand in front of his creeps. so he gets to essentially free farm and just out scale you, which is bad because as a melee champion you peak at around 15-25 minutes.

4) Removed ninja tabi's passive effecting minions

same thing as removing indomitable, except now it will still be difficult to trade in lane as a melee champion.

5) no equivalent of ninja tabi for stopping casters/no ninja tabi cost increases

i still don't fully understand why we get to have obscenely overpowered boots that anyone can buy for very cheap that mitigates a HUGE portion of early game damage from physical damage champions, but there is nothing for stacking early against casters and ap bruisers. rumble gets to buy ninja tabi against renekton, what can renekton buy? a null mantle? and build mercs? cool i just spent all my gold on some boots with very little drop in your dps, while u get to buy an item that cuts my damage by 1/4 and have money left over for a dorans....

6) no real itemization for bruisers.

Atmas remains the same. maw gets nerfed, all the while on hit and AP champs get like 5 new items. No good ad caster items as of yet (we have only been waiting for like 2 years, im sure you guys are on it!), and still no way for bruisers to scale into late game outside of dedication 3-4 item slots for pure tank items and still dieing in the first round of cool downs in a team fight.

So what do all of these changes culminate to?

Top lane will start seeing fewer and fewer bruisers. Cloth 5 will make early game physical bruisers obsolete, as u just cant do enough damage to deny your opponent.

ranged champions will just be better. this is inevitable. just pick someone with decent scaling that has range, and ur golden top lane. i wouldn't be surprised if i started seeing champs like cass or ryze top lane very frequently. as long as you aren't an idiot, you can't lose to a melee champion.

Ap champions will be the new god's of top lane. no way around this. they have too good if itemization to mitigate any threat, they have range, they scale well, and most of them have as much if not more utility than melee champs, while not needing to draw minion aggro to trade.

tl;dr

Top lane will become stagnant. Melee champions will be rare, ranged AP champs will be the god tier top laners, and all top lane will be is a passive farm fest. aggression from a melee champion will be punished extremely hard, forcing many to sit idly by while they get out scaled by their opponent. ranged champions, especially ranged AP champions will be punished far less than melee, so at the end of the day, people will just go to all ranged champs.

oh, and let's not forget the mastery that reduces slows by like 30%, the phage/tforce slow nerfs, and all the movement speed masterie's you can now take. yea...

so how exactly am i supposed to kill anything with a melee champion?

SmokingPuffin

11-20-2012

Deep breaths man. We know that the season 3 changes are going to shake up a lot of the meta, and the devs have said they'll be doing a pass over champion-specific balance fixes after the map and item changes have shaken out a bit. I really don't think you have to worry about a nightmare scenario like "melee becoming useless" happening; if it comes to that, they will buff melee and/or nerf ranged.

I'm also not sure that ranged top laners outscaling melee top laners is really a thing. Looking on lolking, the 3 most popular melee champ picks in top lane are Jax, Irelia, and Darius, while the 3 most popular ranged champ picks in top lane are Jayce, Nidalee, and Teemo. I don't know about you, but I'm much more scared of these melee champs than these ranged champs late game.

C9 Dish

11-20-2012

>I'll start off saying i was garbage S1 and was 1750-1950s

i was 1250 elo season 1... i must be the scum of the earth

Stormsoul

11-20-2012

or maybe people will actually start running armor pen runes again and buy an early brutalizer to counter the cloth/5?

Solo Mid Nasus

11-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormsoul View Post
or maybe people will actually start running armor pen runes again and buy an early brutalizer to counter the cloth/5?
uh...that just counters yourself. Cloth armor + runes + naturally leveling armor is more then enough to defend against armor pen. If you saw armor pen runes are actually getting nerfed, so there is even less reason to take them now. Passive top laners all day every day. irelia and jax will rule top lane, along with the ranged heroes.

Foddie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-20-2012

Have you tried the PBE? It hasn't changed much, OH NO THEY CAN FARM UNTIL LEVEL 6 LIKE IN SEASON 1!!! WHAT ARE WE TO DOOOO

Srkillzzalot

11-20-2012

See imo you are forgetting champions like jayce and elise that are range melee hybrids. They rape vlad rather hard no matter how you look at it so vlad won't really be coming back to much. Rumble rapes vlad also. There is quite a few top laners that vlad just can't go up against really imo.

Honestly its not going to change anything people used to go cloth 5 hp pots back in the day anyway. Only reason people rush boots now is for the extra mob at start to help get a kill. So what you have a more passive lane that isn't being ganked every 2 seconds by the camping jungler that doesn't leave. Be happy about that tbh. I felt the current ways of getting gold suck dick. Along with 0 cs support still the dumbest ****ing idea every to make in a game. Most boring **** ****ing role there is. No item champions are ****ing stupid as **** tbb.

Also akali will like this change her in and out play will be alot better in top with changes like this. All this change does is open up more people to play at top then it is now. Now its pretty much the same 8 guys and if you don't go one of those 8 your odds of winning against them is so **** it don't matter.

QQ Bro

11-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srkillzzalot View Post
See imo you are forgetting champions like jayce and elise that are range melee hybrids. They rape vlad rather hard no matter how you look at it so vlad won't really be coming back to much. Rumble rapes vlad also. There is quite a few top laners that vlad just can't go up against really imo.

Honestly its not going to change anything people used to go cloth 5 hp pots back in the day anyway. Only reason people rush boots now is for the extra mob at start to help get a kill. So what you have a more passive lane that isn't being ganked every 2 seconds by the camping jungler that doesn't leave. Be happy about that tbh. I felt the current ways of getting gold suck dick. Along with 0 cs support still the dumbest ****ing idea every to make in a game. Most boring **** ****ing role there is. No item champions are ****ing stupid as **** tbb.

Also akali will like this change her in and out play will be alot better in top with changes like this. All this change does is open up more people to play at top then it is now. Now its pretty much the same 8 guys and if you don't go one of those 8 your odds of winning against them is so **** it don't matter.

u realize u just listed 3 champions, all of which are either ranged or ap.

and no, people dont get boots to get kills, they get boots to escape ganks. now that you cant be ganked you can get cloth 5, and not risk dieing from ganks. essentially there is no drawbackk to getting cloth 5. so why not just take a late game champ, start cloth 5, build some sustain+defense and afk farm for the rest of the game?

and at that, renekton needs to trade before 6. so does ALOT of champions. removing that is toxic to the game and those champs. its a very bad idea to take away any incentive to play early game/aggressive early champs.