Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Is Giving Honest Advice Report/Bannable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ravelion

11-20-2012

I've now been in two games in the past week where I try to give advice to bottom lanes who repeatedly die (I main bottom usually) and 9/10 times they refuse to ward (I go to ward for them as jungle) and keep dying 2v2 instead of playing safe.

I continually tell them what they are doing wrong and saying what they should do as in, if a lanes over, they should camp tower, and if the jungler comes to just run away as they have zero hope of fighting 2v3.

Two games this week I've done this and then both times the support rages and leaves without another word. Then I get reported by someone on my team for "Making him leave" when in reality I didn't "make" them do anything, they got fed up with not being able to play as a team and left....

Is that honestly a bad thing to do? I hate not trying to help them but at the point it gets where I'm Shaco and they've already fed Graves 6 kills, there's no sense trying to gank the lane.

I can only help them by telling them ways to not die...but then they get mad and leave, am I in the wrong?

FISHer3252

11-20-2012

I get what you mean. I tell my teammates that they are bad and need to get better,but they ignore me and threatens to report instead of taking my advice.

KittensGotClaws

11-20-2012

Honestly, it is how you say it.

If you say "U R BAD, uninstall"...that is not helping. That is being a jerk.

Also, don't try to do it more than once a game. They heard you the first time.

just my two cents.

Doctor Bumble

11-20-2012

It sounds like the supports ought to be reported. As for you, though, I'd have to see the chat logs - maybe the wording of your advice came across as flaming, or maybe you just got unlucky and kept ending up with a bunch of immature teammates.

Ravelion

11-20-2012

The way you word it will make a huge difference if it's alright or not, but I NEVER curse at teammates, statistics can only make so much sense.....

I mean I try to help by warding for them and such, but there's only so much outside help can do.

Lord Poet

11-20-2012

Quote:
Ravelion:
... I continually tell them what they are doing wrong and saying what they should do ...

...I can only help them by telling them ways to not die...but then they get mad and leave, am I in the wrong?

Quote:
KittensGotClaws:
Honestly, it is how you say it.

If you say "U R BAD, uninstall"...that is not helping. That is being a jerk.

Also, don't try to do it more than once a game. They heard you the first time.

just my two cents.

^ This. Whether someone is truly unskilled, or just having an off-game, noone appreciates being hounded over and over in a game about how they can "improve". And if people playing Ranked games are literally leaving/quitting because of what you are saying to them, I can't help but wonder at the nature of your feedback. Especially in light of some of your other posts (i.e. "I quit Riot&quot.

Ravelion

11-20-2012

Quote:
Vandarus:
^ This. Whether someone is truly unskilled, or just having an off-game, noone appreciates being hounded over and over in a game about how they can "improve". And if people playing Ranked games are literally leaving/quitting because of what you are saying to them, I can't help but wonder at the nature of your feedback. Especially in light of some of your other posts (i.e. "I quit Riot&quot.

That's the thing, people leaving I automatically assume I must have been offensive in some fashion, and you can doubt me all you want, but I never say anything obscene or curse or harsh.

I mean, I try to be pretty polite but I feel people in my elo (pretty low generally speaking) take all advice the wrong way and think I'm attacking them when in reality I really am not trying to. I want them to play better on one hand...on the other I hate the thought of eating a suspension for "harassing" them with advice, which doesn't make sense in my head.

And the more times they die, the more I want them to actually think and take the advice, but they just get angry and quit or say "I'm done" I had a Leona literally just start feeding once because "If I can't play how I want I'm making sure you can't either"

It's like everyone automatically assumes everything is a direct insult and then either threatens (Or does) report me for whatever reasons.

Lord Poet

11-20-2012

Well all I can offer in comfort is that even if you do make it to the Tribunal, if all you are doing is offering constructive advice then you're not going to be punished for that regardless of how many people report you for whatever. If I might make a suggestion though, if you give someone performing poorly some sound advice and they choose to ignore it, chances are they're going to ignore any other advice you have as well. At that point, you're probably better off just focusing on your own game so you can carry while keeping your fingers crossed that they don't feed too horrendously.

Either way though, I hope your games become more enjoyable. Happy hunting.