Why aren't rune pages free?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dusty Bronco

11-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klcsage5 View Post
Because riot makes money off convenience items. You don't NEED more than 2 rune pages. You just choose to do so and they give you the option of Ip or Rp for the purchase.
Like how riot makes money off skins. You don't Need a skin. You just want one.

~It's a good thing majority of GD doesn't run a business or else if you're a game company who gives everything that has impact on the game for free you'd be filing for bankruptcy.
Again, though - runes are arguably more inconvenient than masteries, so your first point is invalid. Secondly, if I only have rune pages for TWO roles (arguably, two characters of ONE role), my team is already at a major disadvantage. So, that's not fair to anyone involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamander Joe View Post
IMO Runepages are waaaay too expensive for the prices of runes these days...
I agree completely. I'm just finishing up buying MS quints...I could have bought a champion for the same amount. Now I have to pay even more? Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkChibiman View Post
This is a serious answer, I'll tell you exactly why they charge for Runes (it changed my mind).

This is from a Red post I remember (can't recall who) - The Rune system wasn't always something Riot had planned. They came up with the idea in order to diversify the game; now, you can pick specific runes to match certain play/counter-play styles, sure up any shortcomings, etc. It's a very good concept that makes the game far deeper.

If you've noticed, the Rune system is a far more complex machine than the Mastery system. Apparently, it took months of R&D and testing to develop. Not only that, but it still has maintenance, balance and upkeep costs - all of that costs real money.

Regarding this, Riot had to balance two issues
  • Find a way to recoup the costs for the implementation of the Rune system
  • Since it's an option that involves in-game play, though, make sure to give a free option that doesn't leave loyal players without many spare funds out in the cold

That is how we got the rune-page pricing system set up the way it is now - the high IP and mediocre RP cost is because Riot really does need to fund the Rune system, so it's skewed to encourage you to use RP; however, if you can't get RP you still have access.

I'm sorry I don't have the source handy, if I'm lucky maybe a Red can stop by and clarify.
I really appreciate the informative answer, as it's given me a good amount of insight into why they initially did this. I don't agree with their reasoning, however - R & D goes into all F2P games, but it doesn't always mean the players have to permanently pay for a feature. I'm sure they recouped the losses a while back, and if not, it's time to move on. It's not at all fair to the players.

Wynterfell

11-20-2012

The point about runes having maintenance/balance/R+D costs.
So do champions and items and the jungle and every other part of League(arguably more so).
Yet it's free to play the game.

Retro Shock

11-20-2012

They are. You get two free. The rest you need to purchase.

xReichsfuhrer

11-20-2012

you get 2 free. Go spend money on riot