Flade - the Fae Warrior

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mytharionas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-21-2012

Just a quick heads up, i'm not the most proficient with numbers so my review will be focusing primarily on other factors.

Skills:

Quote:
Innate – Becomes invisible after 2 seconds when in a bush; becomes visible instantly when he leaves the bush or when attacking (abilities do not break invisibility).
At first I thought this ability was slightly on the weak side, mostly because it relied on bushes to gain a second invisibility that wouldn't impact enemy champions much. Then I noticed that it doesn't break when using abilities, and Flade just got a lot more dangerous. The ability to use your abilities freely without giving away your position is a very advantageous tool to have. I assume the invisibility break when Flade recalls from a bush?

Quote:
Ambrosia – Heal Ally and buff movement speed if they are traveling on Flower Bed.
It looks like a nice ability, but most heals have a defensive component attached. Soraka's W increases armor, Kayle's W also increases movement speed, and Nidalee's E increases attack speed. In comparison, Ambrosia seems a bit on the weak side for me, but i'll have to take a look at Flower Bed before I can really call heads or tails on this one.

Quote:
Flower Bed – TOGGLE: Flade leaves a trail of Flowers and Thorns behind him that lasts for 3.25 seconds. Enemies caught in the path will be dealt magic damage each second for 3 seconds. Continual exposure renews the effect.
Flower Bed is a trail mechanic? There might be an issue here in terms of offensive capability. Using Flower Bed offensively would rely on you getting close enough to the enemy that Flower Bed would hurt them, similar to Singed's Poison Trail. The difference is that Singed would have the health and resilience of Megatron, while Flade would have the health and resilience of Shia Labeouf. (Or so I would assume. I'm imagining Flade's defensive stats would have more in common with Sona or Lulu instead of Alistar and Taric.)

Of course, using it defensively or in retreat would get more use out of Flower Bed, as you would be able to safely hit targets with it and Ambrosia would be much more likely to trigger that movement bonus. As it stands, Flower Bed may benefit from having some defensive component added to it, perhaps a larger radius?

Quote:
Second Shadow – Create a mirror copy of yourself that does no damage in the direction of your cursor. (Can be controlled like Shaco’s Twin.)

When Second Shadow expires or is killed nearby Allies receive effects of Ambrosia, while enemies receive the effects of Flower Bed.
I like this one. It fits the whimsical and mischievous nature of fairies (or Fae) and Flade would highly benefit from the use of this ability. Especially when he needs some cover to get Flower Bed in those hard to reach spots. My only question is, would the Second Shadow use Flower Bed if Flade himself uses it?

Quote:
Day Dream – Flade rushes to targeted enemy champion (ignores clipping) and enters a Time Stasis with them, rendering both champions invulnerable and untargetable and unable to take any action, after Time Stasis ends enemy champion receives double the effects of Flower Bed while Flade receives double the effects of Ambrosia.
Not gonna lie, this kind of mechanic has crossed my mind from time to time as a potentially nifty ultimate. I don't see anything wrong on the surface, but I think a few questions are in order.

1. The summoner spell Cleanse is meant to immediately dispel crowd control effects, and Day Dream is what I would consider crowd control. Would an enemy actually be prevented from using Cleanse under the effect of Day Dream?

2. Day Dream would be very effective in locking down the enemy ADC so that they can't bring horrible death on your team. However, a common tactic used by many teams is to nuke the carry straight away so that they can't do anything until they respawn. Seeing as how Day Dream makes both Flade and the enemy invulnerable, what are your thoughts about that?

Quotes:

I have a few suggestions. Mostly puns, jokes and the like.

Moving - "Think this place is cool? You should see my glade."
Moving - "Betcha wish you had wings."

Attacking - "Ha! Look at you and your big stupid legs!"
Attacking - "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Joke - "I'm on a wing and a prayer. I'm praying you aren't terrible!"
Joke - "You're looking for fairy dust? I know a gal that can hook you up, but you gotta pay me up front. That stuff ain't cheap."

Final Thoughts:
Flade has a lot of potential, and his playstyle looks pretty fun. The passive is a very interesting and unique concept, but I have some concerns about the rest of his kit. Mainly that Ambrosia and Flower Bed might be a bit on the weak side. I would suggest adding a mobility or defensive component to Flower Bed's activation. Of course, most of my concepts have been criticized for being a bit strong so take that advice with a bit of salt.

If you're interested in reviewing one my concepts, here's a link to Sebastian, The Little Hero: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...2#post30812842
(At the bottom of that post is the rest of my roster, feel free to check out whichever champion is of the most interest to you.)

Hope my review helped you out, this was a pretty fun one to write about.

Osprii

11-21-2012

Ok, I'm back. Changes look good, especially the ultimate. A forced Zhonya's on an enemy carry would be a great support move in a teamfight. Also, thematic development seems pretty good, too.

Alright, I'll link up now. If you have time, can you review Nahuatl?

ValorAndGlory

11-21-2012

This a two part shameless bump to keep this Champion on the front page.

Part one, another random thought about Flade's appearance, or well your lack of one, I think it would be interesting if he had an insect like look about him like beetle legs and maybe some antennas, bug like wing kind of formed like Kha'Zix wings. but his color scheme could be sky blue and lime green with flesh tones for his actual human parts and you could have the beetle legs part stretch up far enough that they would negate the need for pants and he could wear want would clearly be a handkerchief for a shirt. Oh and his hair could be iridescent purple like a some bugs exoskeleton.

Part two of this shameless bump is I updated Iru-Jon.

ChrispyCaspa

11-21-2012

I think this is a great idea for a champion! Although, obviously, with a little more fine tuning. I think it's really interesting that you took an idea from the lore and developed your own idea of what a champion of the background would be like and what kind of abilities they should have. Great job, spot on.

Here's a link to my idea for a new champ.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...7#post31695597

Darklightning

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-06-2012

Quote:
ValorAndGlory- This is seriously a random thought I had, Alternative skin is Flade dressed up like a bee and for his ult he goes into a beehive on a tree the pops up out of the ground stranding the enemy on top of it, sorry about my moment of insanity plus I can't stop myself from posting this.
- LOL nice. Definitely within the range of his Lore... Fae are not bound to shapes or sizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mytharionas View Post
Just a quick heads up, i'm not the most proficient with numbers so my review will be focusing primarily on other factors.

Skills:

At first I thought this ability was slightly on the weak side, mostly because it relied on bushes to gain a second invisibility that wouldn't impact enemy champions much. Then I noticed that it doesn't break when using abilities, and Flade just got a lot more dangerous. The ability to use your abilities freely without giving away your position is a very advantageous tool to have. I assume the invisibility break when Flade recalls from a bush?

It looks like a nice ability, but most heals have a defensive component attached. Soraka's W increases armor, Kayle's W also increases movement speed, and Nidalee's E increases attack speed. In comparison, Ambrosia seems a bit on the weak side for me, but i'll have to take a look at Flower Bed before I can really call heads or tails on this one.

Flower Bed is a trail mechanic? There might be an issue here in terms of offensive capability. Using Flower Bed offensively would rely on you getting close enough to the enemy that Flower Bed would hurt them, similar to Singed's Poison Trail. The difference is that Singed would have the health and resilience of Megatron, while Flade would have the health and resilience of Shia Labeouf. (Or so I would assume. I'm imagining Flade's defensive stats would have more in common with Sona or Lulu instead of Alistar and Taric.)

Of course, using it defensively or in retreat would get more use out of Flower Bed, as you would be able to safely hit targets with it and Ambrosia would be much more likely to trigger that movement bonus. As it stands, Flower Bed may benefit from having some defensive component added to it, perhaps a larger radius?

I like this one. It fits the whimsical and mischievous nature of fairies (or Fae) and Flade would highly benefit from the use of this ability. Especially when he needs some cover to get Flower Bed in those hard to reach spots. My only question is, would the Second Shadow use Flower Bed if Flade himself uses it?

Not gonna lie, this kind of mechanic has crossed my mind from time to time as a potentially nifty ultimate. I don't see anything wrong on the surface, but I think a few questions are in order.

1. The summoner spell Cleanse is meant to immediately dispel crowd control effects, and Day Dream is what I would consider crowd control. Would an enemy actually be prevented from using Cleanse under the effect of Day Dream?

2. Day Dream would be very effective in locking down the enemy ADC so that they can't bring horrible death on your team. However, a common tactic used by many teams is to nuke the carry straight away so that they can't do anything until they respawn. Seeing as how Day Dream makes both Flade and the enemy invulnerable, what are your thoughts about that?

Quotes:

I have a few suggestions. Mostly puns, jokes and the like.

Moving - "Think this place is cool? You should see my glade."
Moving - "Betcha wish you had wings."

Attacking - "Ha! Look at you and your big stupid legs!"
Attacking - "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Joke - "I'm on a wing and a prayer. I'm praying you aren't terrible!"
Joke - "You're looking for fairy dust? I know a gal that can hook you up, but you gotta pay me up front. That stuff ain't cheap."

Final Thoughts:
Flade has a lot of potential, and his playstyle looks pretty fun. The passive is a very interesting and unique concept, but I have some concerns about the rest of his kit. Mainly that Ambrosia and Flower Bed might be a bit on the weak side. I would suggest adding a mobility or defensive component to Flower Bed's activation. Of course, most of my concepts have been criticized for being a bit strong so take that advice with a bit of salt.

If you're interested in reviewing one my concepts, here's a link to Sebastian, The Little Hero: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...2#post30812842
(At the bottom of that post is the rest of my roster, feel free to check out whichever champion is of the most interest to you.)

Hope my review helped you out, this was a pretty fun one to write about.
Wow! Mytharionas you really checked him out in detail thanks!

Ambrosia - Is based off two actives for Sona so I suspect it is either balanced or very close to balanced either OP or UP by just a tad.

Flower Bed - Is a trail mechanic based off Singe. I did not want this to be a primary tool for harassment. It is designed to help allies escape via synergy with Ambrosia and a harass to enemies that continue to follow those trying to escape.

Second Shadow - He does not get the Flower Bed trail when it is active on Flade, but I did change the effects for the shadow to 1.5 times the effects of Ambrosia and Flower Bed to make it that more of a challenge for people to decide if they want to up his shadow or the spells. (This may revert... we'll see what others think.)

Day Dream - To me it is equivalent to a Zonya's Hourglass where neither champion is engaged in battle (so it sort of evens out)... but I noticed Riot is working to make every ult that channels to be able to be cancelled to some extent by cleanse. May need to think of side effect to breaking it early? Like instead of doing double the effects it does 4 times the effects?

My thoughts on Flade... he is a support that can harass with his Shadow and keep people out of bushes and from following in a retreat. This is very powerful. He is weak in lane and pushing, but this is intentional.

Quote:
Osprii - Ok, I'm back. Changes look good, especially the ultimate. A forced Zhonya's on an enemy carry would be a great support move in a teamfight. Also, thematic development seems pretty good, too.

Alright, I'll link up now. If you have time, can you review Nahuatl?
Osprii thanks for checking it out again! I updated a few things so let me know if you think I got too carried away. Also notice that someone brought out a good question about his ult (see above). Love your thoughts there!

Quote:
ValorAndGlory - This a two part shameless bump to keep this Champion on the front page.

Part one, another random thought about Flade's appearance, or well your lack of one, I think it would be interesting if he had an insect like look about him like beetle legs and maybe some antennas, bug like wing kind of formed like Kha'Zix wings. but his color scheme could be sky blue and lime green with flesh tones for his actual human parts and you could have the beetle legs part stretch up far enough that they would negate the need for pants and he could wear want would clearly be a handkerchief for a shirt. Oh and his hair could be iridescent purple like a some bugs exoskeleton.

Part two of this shameless bump is I updated Iru-Jon.
ValorAndGlory - Thanks for checking out the design again! I'm liking the idea, I'll need to think through some of it but it does remind me of Lulu's companion which is a good thing, since he is Fae

Quote:
ChrispyCaspa - I think this is a great idea for a champion! Although, obviously, with a little more fine tuning. I think it's really interesting that you took an idea from the lore and developed your own idea of what a champion of the background would be like and what kind of abilities they should have. Great job, spot on.

Here's a link to my idea for a new champ.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...7#post31695597
ChrispyCaspa, I like your screenname! Also, thanks for the review. I definitely was focused on making a character that spawned from the lore. I think that is what makes him popular here. Also... I stole the idea of doing this from Riot. I read somewhere that that's exactly what they try to do.

I would love to hear from more of you, or get further feedback from those of you who have looked at it in the past since I updated him some.

To all: I'll check out all your heroes shortly! I really enjoy your designs as well.

Osprii

12-06-2012

Hello again Darklightning!

Flade looks great, and much better developed than when I first saw him. There are just a few things, first, what is the width of Flower Bed? Also, how much health does Flade's twin have in Second Shadow, and what is the radius in which it heals allies/ damages enemies upon expiration? Other than those clarifications, I think that you can buff Flade slightly by reducing the mana cost ever so slightly on Ambrosia, maybe by about 10 on all levels. That's just from comparing the cost vs. heal vs. cooldown to Soraka's heal.
Also, I think that you can reduce the cooldown slightly on Day Dream. I was comparing it to Malzhahar's suppress. Malzahar deals a ton of damage and does not render the enemy immune to damage, but he does keep them from moving for 2.5 seconds. The damage he deals is comparable to twice the effects of Ambrosia (assuming that it is all 3 seconds of Ambrosia). He doesn't have a heal, but he does have a 120/100/80 second cooldown. I believe that Malzhahar's ultimate is comparable to Flade's, so they should have similar cooldowns at all levels.

Anyway, good job. Flade seems like a very well balanced and thought out champion.

Darklightning

12-07-2012

UPDATED:

Changed cost of Ambrosia, changed movement speed into a Buff that provides movement speed. Added increments for duration to movement buff and increased speeds as well.

Quote:
There are just a few things, first, what is the width of Flower Bed?
- It behaves the same as Singe's poison cloud (20 across) but it's on the ground and just shrivels when finally vanishes after the duration.

Indicated Range of Twin Shadow's Effects and clarified its health.

Decreased Cooldown for Ultimate.

Added Voice Ideas from the peoples. I would love more ideas!

Added Appearance from the peoples. I would love more ideas!

Love more feedback, and as always would love to know what you guys have come up with or changed.

RiveLife

12-08-2012

I'm liking it! There aren't too many male supports and most supports fall really easily. Unless the other team has pink wards or Oracles they have limited opportunities to take out Flade. I'm surprised more people don't comment or thumb up your post.

Darklightning

12-12-2012

Thanks for the kind words! So no more comments? I'm taking this to mean Flade is properly balanced and ready for splash art, buttons and more. If not, speak now or forever hold your peace.

ValorAndGlory

02-17-2013

bumping this back to the front page, cause I like where it is going and want more people to see it.