How NOT to suck in solo ranked matchs(Guide)

12345 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Clan TMG

10-07-2010

Guide created by T0ggle, please enjoy
Coming from a guy whos main account goes from rating 1250-1411 then back down to 1300 and back up to 1400, a repeating process that can easily be avoided if people would just follow simple guidelines.
(Edited to look better, and #from importance)

pregame

1.Know more then one champion - make sure before you join ranked matchs you have at least up to 4+ mains to play, tanks, jungle and carry alike. Don't play champions for the first time in ranked either, more then half the time you will suck and lose. Trying out champions for the first time is best left for normal and practice games, thats where you build your skills, then you bring those skills to ranked matchs.

2.Bans - bans consist of what ever would counter your teams set up, or who ever is considered to be overpowered. this could mean that if your going to have AP nuke and you forget to ban someone like morgana, your teams ap will have a lot of trouble unless he somehow focuses on the non blackshielded enemys.

If you forget to ban certain champions, you will pay for it, and I hope you all learn this lesson from playing in ranked matchs against such champions.

3.Trade's - trading champions is important when a bottom pick member wants a champion that normaly would otherwise get picked before he can get to it. Make sure to tell everyone what you want to play or what you can play DURING BANS.
Also if your going to trade with this person ask them what champions they have before you choose to pick his/her champion, because if you choose a champion your not familiar with and the person your trading with doesn't have your champion, you could end up getting stuck with an unfamiliar trade off or worse, an error during trade.

4.Don't be a brat - I know this may sound stupid but if someone calls mid first or solo 1v2 first let them have it, be the bigger man and back off. Don't say no and give an excuse then tell them to trust you. If you really want mid try saying it before anyone else does during bans, don't wait for the last minute to do it, find out someone else is taking mid then be a **** about it and go mid anyhow.
Just because your top pick doesn't mean you own the team either, whenever im duo queuing and end up top pick I never tell someone they can't do this or that because im top pick and they are not. Just because you are higher pick doesn't make you better then them, if they want a character ask if they have your character so you can make a trade. If they want mid and asked for it first again LET THEM HAVE IT don't give them this **** about how your higher rating/elo/pick.

5.team set ups - teams should always consist of at least solid AD carry, AP nuke/cc, and a tank. Jungle/support are optional and always welcomed, more tanks means you need to defend your carrys more wich can get hectic at times and often fatal.

If you fail to get a solid team or your teams tank/carry fails to get farmed enough teamfights will be very hard or nearly impossible to win.
An underfarmed tank could mean that he is easy to kill and doesn't provide the meat shield your carrys are asking for.
An underfarmed carry could mean your damage will be to low in teamfights, not provideing enough to compete with the enemy teams damage causing your teamates to take more damage and die quickly.
Also, don't choose 4 ranged champions and leave one melee player to initiate, ranged characters are normaly vurnerable in melee and with 4 ranged you don't have a whole lot to look foward too except kiting methods.

*I'm looking to edit this part for players that wish to know what good team sets up made up of*

6.Champion picks common mistakes - more then one stealth causes the enemy team to get heavy wards and oracles, it is very easy to kill your team if your 2 teamates cannot use their best offensive, stealth. More then one support can lead to a bad setup because this causes less damage and you must rely on buffs/healing to keep your team countering the enemys offense. Wich would you rather have 2 carrys or 2 support, the 2 carrys can down you fast enough to force you to waste you ultimate and you still cannot match their damage, think before you choose 2 support.

7.Don't troll your teamates(otherwise known as DON'T INSULT THEM) - its one thing to insult your enemy because that is considered taunting, in competitive gameplay you can be the humble one or the taunting one doesn't matter. Taunting can sometimes prove usefull because it gets the enemy to come out of his safetey comfortable zone and provide you with a kill. taunting your own teamates causes stress, headaches, ignores, and all around just bad stuff.
Its NOT funny to make fun of someone for being bottom pick, lower rating, lower in kills or higher in deaths, or how they were either banned from forums or made fun of around the forums, or even how you think their guides are "teh fail".
I suggest if you see this happening, try to calm the situation down and if he continues to troll, take the victims side and report the troller.

8.Rating doesn't mean Sh**! - Higher rating can only be achieved through good teamwork, skill and team set ups.
Most GOOD players are stuck in low rating because someone DC's on their team, someone decides to choose a bad character then ends up feeding and not contributing to the teams effort enough. There are so many different factors that lead to players losing rating because of their TEAMATES fault not that of their own. I know this may sound ego, but in league of legends one carry cannot win the game for the rest of the team, it takes multiple carrys and a team to keep these carrys alive at all costs.

Ingame

9.Last hit only - last hitting minions causes enemy teams auto attack pushing to force them towards your turret, wich means they have to "overextend" wich brings them to an area that is easier to gank and to attack behind minion waves essentialy depriving the enemy of EXP because they can't get near the minion kills.
Last hitting also in some cases provides more kills then the auto attackers, they are to busy pushing the lane to knotice you out farming them!

10.Ask around - ask a teamate what items he may be getting and how you can work AROUND that, Ive seen games were 4 players would get snowball items and only 1 would stack, making the other 3 useless. Snowball items are great, for the person getting FED, if you have a solid carry mid or ganker, let them get the snowball items while you focus more on your other items.

11.There is a time and a place for everything - this goes for playing passively like a PETA hippie or playing aggressively like you have balls of steel. Its truly impossible to know your limits with every character, what seems like an easy kill and often be turned around against you. You just have to play the best that you can and try to find the weakness in your enemys playstyle. If they are a heavy gank team don't push out to far, if they are more just 1v1 and youare confident in your abilitys then play aggressive but if you die don't just try it again the second time around without a garuntee kill chance.
there is a time to farm and there is a time to play as a team, remember this because if your tank or carry is farming when he should be rolling with the team, you or a teammate will end up feeding when your damage or meatshield is half way across the map farming a lane.

12.map awareness - pings, wards, minimap, and a microphone software such as ventrilo, xfire etc can all help you be more aware of ganks and your suroundings. Be sure to utilize this, if the whole team isn't buying wards I think its time you do, in most cases I rely on support characters to use clary or to buy us the wards.

13.Targeting - For the most part your teams duty in a fight is to kill the other teams carrys, thus breaking their damage and making it easier to kill the rest of the enemy team. A tanks job is to be a meat shield, to block incoming attacks, to initiate fights, to have some balls of steel. Remember to keep enemies off your teamates, most commonly your best carrys, and try to charge past the enemies front lines occasionaly to distract or destroy the enemies carry.
As a carry you must stay behind tanks if you are ranged and on the front lines next to the tank if you are melee, keep your attacks focused on everyone but the tanks.
Targeting for the most part is easy, don't waste your ultimates on tanks that otherwise would just shrug off the damage, save your best abilitys for the supports and carrys.

14.Pregame chat doesn't work - If league of legends chat system is not working it can throw your teams game off because nobody can explain anything to anyone else. Few ways to counter this but ultimately its a real game killer.
A:add people to your friends list who are part of your team while they are choosing champions quickly during bans so you can tell them what you want to play.
B:Choose the champions your team needs most after others have picked and try to counter the enemy teams champion set up at the same time, once ingame ask for mid nicely stating how chat was not working, if people asked for mid pregame chat let them have it. You may have no way of figureing out if them calling mid is true or not but it doesn't matter, (4)don't be a brat and you should do just fine.

Other thoughts & rants

15.Summoner spells - This is really just my own professional opinion speaking here, I see way to many people choosing flash with ghost. Flash and ghost are both escape abilitys, neither do damage and only flash is usefull for stunlock ganking. All summoner spells should have a balance of offense, support and escape.
If you roll both flash and ghost, you sacrifice 500damage ignite with anti heal, you sacrifice 100%miss chance exhaust wich could be used to stop an AD champion such as MF, ashe, twitch, trynd, yi, ETC from killing your teamates.
Claryvoiance could be used in place of wards, and rally may sound stupid, but it is an offensve AND support summoner spell, if one teamate rolls with it you will gain extra damage and ability power for the whole team during a teamfight, think of it as a higher bonus then sona could ever offer.

Please find a balance between escape, defense, offensive, and support summoner spells, don't just run full escape, it fails to help you offensively and makes you look like you lost your balls.

16.Nobody knows everything and in most cases everyone doesn't no Sh**! - guides are suggestions, item builds and runebooks are meant to fit YOUR OWN playstyle, not everyone is comfortable with your playstyle and in some cases players can often play better then you given they are more comfortable with their item build and runebook and can successfuly take that and add it to their skill.

Hope I covered as much as possible, if you have any ideas post them in the comments and lets try to keep this as productive as possible.

xavarn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2010

Good guide, but do you think the people who are "bad" are really gonna be reading this? Or is it only the good players that already follow this that would bother to.

Clan TMG

10-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavarn View Post
Good guide, but do you think the people who are "bad" are really gonna be reading this? Or is it only the good players that already follow this that would bother to.
Didn't even expect anyone to read my wall of text, and telling me my guide was good is something I really didn't expect. I've taken so much disrespect from the community my expectations of everyone is small.
So thanks for the nice response

VCJunky

10-07-2010

I'll be the first to give you a thumbs up. I read your entire wall of text and I agree. Unfortunately, it is true that bad players probably won't see it (and even if they do, will they agree...?).

I think better players with a team-oriented mindset knew all of this stuff already.

LordOfSquirrels

10-08-2010

I've only played this a couple weeks and am still a N00b but I've played on teams that have done every single thing you've pointed out and it irks me. This is really helpful to when I get a chance to get into the ranked games. Kudos mate.

PinkPWNAGE

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-08-2010

Quote:
Most GOOD players are stuck in low rating because someone DC's on their team, someone decides to choose a bad character like ryze or teemo then ends up feeding and not contributing to the teams effort enough. There are so many different factors that lead to players losing rating because of their TEAMATES fault not that of their own. I know this may sound ego, but in league of legends one carry cannot win the game for the rest of the team, it takes multiple carrys and a team to keep these carrys alive at all costs.

You speak the truth +1. Literally all my past ranked games are i go 24/3 or 6-1 etc, only carry doin their job, tank fails, and other carry fails. All focus me and gg.

CurBludgeon

10-08-2010

Another good point to mention: Know more than One Champ before playing Ranked - hopefully at least one of each "type".

JackalHide

10-08-2010

It would be helpful if a window popped out that gives these type of guidelines during champion selection in a few sentences. It would get people in the right mind set before playing. It will also help turn those bad players into good players as eventually its gotta break through to them after seeing it enough.

Ginnetix

10-08-2010

That's crazy =O I learned all of this from playing so much. haha, but needless to say this is a good guide line for players that want to learn how to become a better team player.

Clan TMG

10-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurBludgeon View Post
Another good point to mention: Know more than One Champ before playing Ranked - hopefully at least one of each "type".
Ya I should edit it for that, plenty of times I've had some person tell us one character is his only main, like ashe, ryze or zilean. then we end up getting a fail ryze or 2 support, that can get very anoying.

12345 ... 9