Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

@Morello, was 'Seth' shelved?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WC3betterthanSC

04-07-2013

Sand mage ? why not Sand Witch ?

shadowitter

04-07-2013

hopefully you do make a champ named seth, then i can play a champ with my own name

Mahoh

04-07-2013

Quote:
WC3betterthanSC:
Sand mage ? why not Sand Witch ?

League could use some more guys in mid lane.

The Tsak

04-07-2013

Quote:
Meddler:
Happens quite a lot. Vi for example originally had a different background and art (female mechanic basically) that wasn't working for everyone, so we tried a different approach which came together really well. Gameplay wise Zed also started out with a completely different kit that had a lot of cool abilities that didn't gel with each other so well. As a result we delayed him a bit and then took a different direction with his gameplay (though we'll probably reuse some of the abilities on different kits in the future).

that's really brilliant actually
and also zed is amazing with these skills!! the redirection for him definitely paid off

JevelFaithful

04-07-2013

Quote:
Mahoh:
League could use some more guys in mid lane.

I second this!

Aggrbargl

04-07-2013

Quote:
Meddler:
Happens quite a lot. Vi for example originally had a different background and art (female mechanic basically) that wasn't working for everyone, so we tried a different approach which came together really well. Gameplay wise Zed also started out with a completely different kit that had a lot of cool abilities that didn't gel with each other so well. As a result we delayed him a bit and then took a different direction with his gameplay (though we'll probably reuse some of the abilities on different kits in the future).

Could you perhaps make a note or something to tell us when one of those abilities shows up? Just for curiosity's sake.

Trustful

04-07-2013

@Morello

Who are the "ancient heroes" that defeated the Frozen Watchers?

retratseR

04-07-2013

Bump again. Although it just was

Meddler

Lead Champion Designer

04-07-2013

Quote:
Steelflame:
Meddler, just asking a question I tried to ask you on the PBE here (sorry for derailing a topic slightly) but the fact that reds are active here makes it seem like a good opportunity to....

Is there a reason you use the current separation of AA and Spell ranges, which is what lead to the Sejuani W issues due to her new model being larger, "extending" her AA range by a few which threw off her W?

At least to me, it would make more sense if both ranges were based on the same thing, either the AA range of edge of champ model, or the center of model spell range system, for both.

I'm not sure what the original decision between the centre of unit versus edge of unit split was, long before my time. Something we've been doing recently is shifting some spells (e.g. MF's Double Up and Vayne's Condemn) to use the attack range calculation however to remove that issue.

Meddler

Lead Champion Designer

04-07-2013

Quote:
FalkorsRaiders:
I understand that their is a lot of feelings about the new VU Trundle is getting, and you may not want to comment, but after reading this I've got some questions.

Is Trundle the only champ that has been released that is being looked at with the thought of "This isn't actually good idea, let's scarp this concept" (wanted to keep the original quote cause its too perfect), or are other champs that are live that are being looked at as such?

Does Riot see the change of Trundle to what he is in the VU as "This isn't actually good idea, let's scarp this concept" or do they see the VU as more of an enhancing of character and not an actual scrapping of the concept?

When Trundle was released, was Riot happy with the release at the time, or were they just releasing a product they weren't happy with to meet a deadline? If Riot was happy, what changes within Riot lead to the unhappiness with the current Trundle?

Are there any Rioters who are greatly unhappy with the changes to Trundle in the VU? Or is everyone really glad that he is being changed? (I'm not asking for names, I'm just curious to find out if there are any Rioters who would prefer old Trundle to New Trundle, or if there are any that are going to miss the Old Trundle, or if Riot as a whole thinks there is nothing to miss with the VU, cause to them it still is Trundle.)

Concerning older champions, are there any champs who Riot thinks were done so right or so perfectly that doing a VU or rework would only hurt the original design? Or does Riot think that all champs are in need of some tweaking?

Was the changes in Trundle's VU original in the sense that they were ideas only thought up for Trundle, or were the ideas from other champ concepts and were thought to be a good idea to merge with Trundle? If they were from other concepts, why did those concepts feel a better fit for Trundle then a new champ?

Edit:

If a champ is put up for a VU or rework, is there a time limit for the changes before you have to discard the idea and start again? Or is there no time restraint? If there is a time restraint, if you don't meet the idea deadline do you start again for the champ or is there a wait period to work on other champs before they can go back to the champ?

Apologies, I'm not particularly familiar with the visual rework/relaunch process so can't speak to any details on Trundle, though I know creative do plan to post (or may already have) outlining some of the thoughts behind the change. Trundle's release was also well before my start at Riot so I don't have any insight into his original development and how that process compared to his relaunch.

As far as visual reworks in general go most are just go to be straight upgrades to model quality, with maybe some very minor tweaks e.g. Annie. Some champions will certainly require less of an overhaul (I've heard our artists talk favorably about Mundo's existing shape for example), while others will need some more significant work (Sivir's giant feet, I'm looking at you).