Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

@Morello, was 'Seth' shelved?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Titiln

04-07-2013

Quote:
Meddler:
Happens quite a lot. Vi for example originally had a different background and art (female mechanic basically) that wasn't working for everyone, so we tried a different approach which came together really well. Gameplay wise Zed also started out with a completely different kit that had a lot of cool abilities that didn't gel with each other so well. As a result we delayed him a bit and then took a different direction with his gameplay (though we'll probably reuse some of the abilities on different kits in the future).

ziggs buffs pls

FalkorsRaiders

04-07-2013

Quote:
Meddler:
Happens quite a lot. Vi for example originally had a different background and art (female mechanic basically) that wasn't working for everyone, so we tried a different approach which came together really well. Gameplay wise Zed also started out with a completely different kit that had a lot of cool abilities that didn't gel with each other so well. As a result we delayed him a bit and then took a different direction with his gameplay (though we'll probably reuse some of the abilities on different kits in the future).

Another red posted somewhere that there is a champ in developement that is a female from zaun. Is she what became of the "female mechanic" that didn't cut it for Vi, or is the "female mehanic" idea shelved for later or indefinitely?

Tortferngatr

04-07-2013

Quote:
Tryptomine:
Lee Sin and Elise. Lee Sin (http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Lee_Sin/Background#cite_ref-3)was one of the first concepts they had, but ended up throwing it away before coming back to it much later. 'Spider Queen' (http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Priscilla_the_Spider_Queen)was also another idea they tossed around for a long time.

They've also done it with skills. An Omnislash-type ult being one that spent a long time trying to apply to a champion. Talon had it for a while in development, before the skill eventually found a home on Fiora and became Blade Waltz.

If @Ezreal is any indication, Syndra took years to get right.

aceofsween

04-07-2013

I can see how trying to make a Sand Mage would be difficult to pull together thematically. There are so many different applications you could have. There are two different types of these characters that I could think of in common contexts: Gaara from Naruto and the Sandman from Marvel Comics. Both of them are thematically very different, but utilize sand as a weapon. The one common mechanic binding the two though could be a snare/slow effect. There are a lot of neat effects you could come up with though. It'd be hard to generate a real cohesive champion though, I'd think.

Kirballs1

04-07-2013

Quote:
Meddler:

Meddler,why are your Champions the most fun and exciting?

oddish33

04-07-2013

Any chance that Well will come back to the league? He seemed cool

Mirror

04-07-2013

Quote:
Tryptomine:
Lee Sin and Elise. Lee Sin (http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Lee_Sin/Background#cite_ref-3)was one of the first concepts they had, but ended up throwing it away before coming back to it much later. 'Spider Queen' (http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Priscilla_the_Spider_Queen)was also another idea they tossed around for a long time.

Those don't really count.

JevelFaithful

04-07-2013

Quote:
Metronomotopoeia:
Those don't really count.

Might I ask why? I'm pretty sure they said elise != spider queen somewhere.
And while the mecanics of lee sins were reused for Udyr. It seems to me that the blind monk thematic and place in the lore were held for lee sin. Or course it's not a mecanical shelving here.

SeikyuHaste

04-07-2013

Quote:
Tortferngatr:
Noxian counterpart to Shyvana (Noxian half-dragon, fully supported by his society) and Ahri (wants to become a full dragon and shed his weak human form permanently) with physical inspirations from the Japanese 8-headed serpent Orochi, whose ult turns him into a dragon-serpent with 7-auxiliary heads?

A melee carry who focuses on trying to drag the foe into his lair, (melee range) cracking serpenthide whips to poke and get CS, then when the enemy has been dragged in, ravaging and devouring their life bar? Ult could breathe life into the whips, converting them into seven extra heads for a Shyvana-like steroid.

(Psssst, Cassiopeia shippers, this is your chance!)

Any form of a hydra champion is welcomed and awesome, even if I personally want the hydra to have mechanics similar to Invoker from dota...

SeikyuHaste

04-07-2013

Quote:
aceofsween:
I can see how trying to make a Sand Mage would be difficult to pull together thematically. There are so many different applications you could have. There are two different types of these characters that I could think of in common contexts: Gaara from Naruto and the Sandman from Marvel Comics. Both of them are thematically very different, but utilize sand as a weapon. The one common mechanic binding the two though could be a snare/slow effect. There are a lot of neat effects you could come up with though. It'd be hard to generate a real cohesive champion though, I'd think.

Don`t forget the literal sandman, using sand to create illusions and cast dreams.