What is smartcast?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TrueSkillz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2012

It would be cool if there was an option for smartcast and you could bind a key to enable/disable it so you dont have to remap your keys on different champs. just an idea

LarcyBrown

03-25-2012

Let me get this straigh on how smartcast works, for exemple lets pick brand's E spell.
So instead of pressing e then clicking on target after clicking around to be in range.
I would just hover the mouse cursor over the target then press Shift E?

When i do use smartcast does the champ automatically tries to straighfoward walk within range for casting the spell this way o.o?

EDITh boy if this works this way sooo have to test it...i mean if u can smartcast flash and ignite...wow super op......might never have to fail flash over a wall ever again if u smart cast it instead of guessing the distance.

Taoquitok

03-26-2012

@larc,

it depends on the spell.

example1. ziggs bomb(q). smart cast this at a location out of range and he will run into range to cast it
example2. olaf axe toss. Smart casting this at a location outside of its range will just cause him to chuck it instantly in that direction without hitting the location you aimed at.

Just to let you know, Flash works the same way as example.2 so sadly it won't help with stopping yourself headbutting a wall.

bahamutkaiser

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-12-2012

I have never used smartcast in over 2000 games... Kinda funny, I wonder when this became available? Anyway, I dont know if there is a fast way to change skills from smart cast to normal, but all it woult take is holding shift or alt and clicking the skill icon on screen, that might solve the quick reconfigure process for each champion, they could even add a little dot or something showing its operating... Anyhow, I guess I'll be trying it soon, kinda feel bad for my opponent though... my ELIOs clearly set at me not using smart cast...

SnøwTiger

Recruiter

04-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme1337 View Post
Smart casting casts your spell at your cursor location, so please don't post false info here, because that only confuses new players.
i think it depends on the champ ie ezreals q will go to the curser and annies q will go to closest opponent in range. and the way mords cone works it may go to closest cuz its not reallty a skill shot u place it and he walks to it then casts the ability like annies w unless its right next to them

PodunkTheMighty

04-14-2012

The first time I played Anivia was in a lan room. Whoever played before me had changed the default keys to all smartcast. : ( That was confusing and difficult. If it wasn't such a skillshot-based champ I may not even have noticed.

elephant3900

Recruiter

04-15-2012

karthus's q is auto smartcast right?

elephant3900

Recruiter

04-15-2012

karthus's q is auto smartcast right?

StrmCkr

04-15-2012

what smart casting does is allow for faster/quickly cast the spells with out clicking on targets

instead it will target on objects under your curser and cast
non- targeting abilites will cast in the direction your curser currently is.

you can remap your key bindings
changing the

smart cast deffintion from: shift+Q ->> Q

this remaps the keys to smart casing only..

instead of requring addition buttons

3xyled

04-15-2012

Well the answers to the original question have been stated. So on that note I will add that I highly recommend trying out smart casting. I first learned about it while watching a Guardsmanbob stream one day. I tried it, and its all I use anymore. Great for skillshots imo, I feel that it's easier and quicker than lining up the spell path with the default casting.

The downside however is that you really need to know your champion. Nidalee for example has an extremely long raged Q. When using only smart casting you won't be able to see the spell path for how far away your spell can (and in most cases, should) be to land at max range.

My suggestion is this; try making your smartcast keybinds 123&and4 and see if you like it. Some use it some don't, so don't feel bad if it doesn't click.

EDIT: there is an option to turn on smartcast range indicators in the "more options" menu. Just found it today