Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Elo Hell

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LBDORRITO

Senior Recruiter

11-19-2012

You say it doesn't exist? Yes it does, in the form of luck. the bad kind.

I have bad games. I have good games. I have normal games.

When I'm bad, its rare for my team to carry me.
When I'm good, my team usually has 1-2 feeders.
When i'm normal, my team usually has 1-2 feeders.
(my definition of feeding is someone that dies 2-3 times in the first 5 minutes or 3-5 in the first 10 minutes, and plays in a way that makes you go "how the heck are you 30?&quot

i've had a 36-9 kill game, and still lost. i've had a 32 kill game and still lost.
even when i'm that dominant i CANT overcome insane feeding. if i have a 30 kill game, someone on my team had probably died over 20 times. thats normal for me. (not that 30 kill games come normally. they dont.)

That's a little part of it, but not the whole.

Im just a meh player, I usually have a positive ratio, and when i dont its usually from taking risk trying to when when our feeder already had over 10 deaths.

The big problem is this:

last season i started 8-3. pretty good. not amazing. i was 1350 average rating.
Then i hit my luck.
Afker's/ Dc'ers/ Trolls.
have to be in 70% of my games or around that. And that is my elo hell.

People play bad, i get that, i dont blame them. JUST HOW IN HOLY HECKLAND DO I GET SO MANY AFKER's!! trolls are quite often too. I've won in 4v5's. I can overcome that sometimes, but i cant overcome a troll. i'm just not that good.

You say there is no elo hell. There is. and my drop from 1350's to 700's is proof of that. It wasn't from bad people, it wasnt from bad me, it wasnt from off games or on games. It was from Dc'ers and trolls. And i dont know how i can overcome that.

Sorry, i had to rant, Even my friends who join my games say "why do we get so many dc'ers and trolls when your with us?"

My luck is atrocious. Thus I am too.

Thanks for reading. -dorrito.

Cskuk

11-19-2012

you Just described my life.

EnvisageX

11-19-2012

Welcome to it. This is why a hard ELO reset would have been nice. I was actually really positive going into season 3. Today however has been awful, I was really only going to play a game or two to get the first win bonus. I started the day at 13 and 8. Well that all went to **** now I've lost 5 games in a row due to AFK, and feeding. One of the games was a ligit good game loss. The rest well AFKs, DCs, and trolls... I had a xin go mid when I was playing cass for crying outloud.

Oh and not to mention no losses forgiven the night of server problems. I had one loss one the problem started. Then after it was said to be all clear and the problems were still going on 2 people on my team discon. -80 points due to riots servers was really not cool.

KyoNanashi

11-20-2012

So far I played 5 matches in ranked and I get the feeling that I do not ever want to play this game ever again. I love this game do not get me wrong, but people are killing it. I absolutely have no fun in matches because idiotic people who join them, I am not the "I will win it all" kinda of a guy I am realist in the fact that loses will occur but when I lose to a team I know I can beat because some schmuck on bot lane cannot not to feed makes me bit depressive.
1st match: jungle Heca cannot stay connected for more than 2 seconds and then feeds and blames Riot servers when everyone else was ok whole match.(a situation where dced person should have just stayed that way since we were doing fine without him)
2nd match: our Malhazar fed Vlad 9 kills
3rd match I won it with jungle Rengar(enemy team performed fantastically it was a close game)
4th match went as jungle amumu, did well, bot was Ez and Sona, and Ez did not know how to farm...........yeah.................turns out it was his 2nd ever ranked..........what do these people think its going to happen to them in ranked matches?
5th and finally: played as jungle shen, Top and mid dominated, bot(mundo and ashe) got stomped by varus and leona. Btw that Varus had 100% hit rate on his arrow against both of them. Ashe rushed Phantom Dancer.........she absolutely did no damage at all.

Sorry for the wall of text there, I am just trying to let some steam out. It does not help me that I am in process of quitting smoking and my nerves are not at their best.

Selcopa

11-20-2012

Its interesting. Have you ever considered your run to 1350 a lucky streak?

Here the thing. I played over 1500 ranked games last season. So I feel like I have a good opinion on swings. A lot of times we attribute our upswing to ourselves. And our downswing to our teammates.

What I observed. I would surge up in elo. But then drop back a bit, usually 60ish points. Now after that 50-80 point drop. Sometimes I would drop even more. Like an additional 75-100 points. However every time that happened. I would start dominating so much more. And it was impossible for me to drop 600 points or even 250 points. Because anytime I got close. I would just start murdering the enemy.

Keep in mind I had all the excuses you did. Trolls afks dcs ragers bad players. Those things happen plenty at all elo ranges

Now looking at your situation with my experience. What I would think is. Luck hit early. And you got a streak to 1350. With placement matches that is real possible to do. I'm not saying you played bad. But you weren't really challenged. Now in addition to everyone else being more skilled while you didn't really gain any skill, as well as your good fortune running out. You began to lose.

Once again. With placement matches accelerating the swings its reasonable to see you drop more than even the previously mentioned 250 points. However at some point your skill has to kick in, And start dominating the field.

So its entirely possible that 700 is too low. Maybe 800 or even 1k elo is where you belong. But you have to acknowledge the fact that when most players drop even 150 points from their true elo. They are just hands down significantly superior and they get ahead and shut down their opponent. And if you can't do that with. 600 point change. Then there is a good possibility you were just lucky on your way to 1350

LBDORRITO

Senior Recruiter

11-20-2012

Quote:
Selcopa:
Its interesting. Have you ever considered your run to 1350 a lucky streak?

Yes, that wasn't it. but good points. I might not be 1350 caliber, but in those game my "good" luck was having competent teammates and enemies. with each team having a struggling teamate, or each team playing well all around. When i was in that area, i never had a troll, and rarely saw a feeder.

In that atmosphere i can do amazing. But im not good enough to overcome a troll, a heavy feeder, or often an afk.

Not overcoming a heavy feeder is my skill problem, but again, my bad luck comes into play as the enemy team rarely has that person, and i get them a lot. And i mean a lot. if i get a troll/dc in 60% of my games, i get a heavy feeder in 90% of my games. its just strange.

My supreme fall comes from my bad luck streak with those players.

Again, im not good enough to overcome bad feeders, whom i get often. (and i try to be nice and say care and ping for them. I even go cv most of the time and buy wards to save their bootaysss to no avail.) And ill never be good enough to overcome trolls.

Alphastryke

11-20-2012

@ Selcopa It sounds like you have not experienced the massive amount of DC's and AFKS the op is talking about. In my first 10 games this season I faced having 7 DC AFK's in base, in a row on my team and even in these 4 vs 5s went positive. That massive amount of elo loss was brutal and unavoidable due to a flawed system by Riot.

exactly how does that reflect my skill, elo or give a level playing field to test skills against the other team to truly determine "elo"

jangley

11-20-2012

Quote:
Alphastryke:
@ Selcopa It sounds like you have not experienced the massive amount of DC's and AFKS the op is talking about. In my first 10 games this season I faced having 7 DC AFK's in base, in a row on my team and even in these 4 vs 5s went positive. That massive amount of elo loss was brutal and unavoidable due to a flawed system by Riot.

exactly how does that reflect my skill, elo or give a level playing field to test skills against the other team to truly determine "elo"

I don't play much above a 1350 level but even with constant 4v5s I doubt I would drop very far into 3 digits, because at that point I would be murdering everyone like it was a bot game. The system reflects your play level fairly accurately (over time). You will climb back to where you belong after bad streaks like that. Some elo ranges are longer climbs because of the ratio of trolls/leavers, but you will still climb through them. I've fallen from 1450s to 1200, but shot right back up after a week or so because I play at a ~1400 level.

CLAIRSENTIENCE

11-20-2012

As much as I want to blame it on ELO hell, in every rating there is always the leavers and the "feeders".
But in reality, these people aren't, keyword here, INTENTIONALLY, feeding. What is the chance that maybe their opponent is just better than they are? Every time you dominate your lane and get kills is it because they're feeding you, or because you're better than them? But, you're right. Must be feeding. I challenge you to take a step back, and look at the games that you've won from the other team's perspective. They share your frustration too.

Amatzikahni

11-20-2012

The only argument I ever have to people who believe in Elo Hell is this:

You somehow always get the leaver/feeder, and the enemies never do.

You never can get fed because their strongest player is always laning against you and preventing you from getting fed, and your teammates are hundreds of Elo below their opponents. Every game is like this.

I doubt half the stories I hear. Most likely, you can't get fed because you belong where you're at, and you're just flying around because a lot of people around your queue rating are still shifting wildly and you're caught in the middle.