Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Need a reliable tanky dps garen guide.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Saigo Getsuga

11-19-2012

With good building order.

Ty.

PPPPPPPPPPPP270

11-19-2012

Buy Black Cleaver, and IE. Go for sunfire cape if you want the armor. For MR Maw is a decent choice but Merc is also needed.
Just using my brain on someone who just spins to win.

Alumenlux

11-19-2012

Garen doesn't do a lot of DPS :<

AlphariusRising

11-19-2012

Start boots.
Get kage's Lucky Pick into Rylai's then Deathcap, then CDR boots. Then build DFG and Lich Bane. Finish with Guardian Angel, Zhonya's, or if nobody's built it yet, Abyssal.

FancifuHarlequin

11-19-2012

Quote:
Alumenlux:
Garen doesn't do a lot of DPS :&lt;

Scrub detected.

TehJigger

11-19-2012

If you're doing good and the enemy isn't strong then rush an IE and just get free kills with Q+E, however you should rush tank items like sunfire, warmogs, FoN pretty fast incase they get strong.

Menea6587

11-19-2012

Quote:
FancifuHarlequin:
Scrub detected.

I have no idea what the answer is.
Who am I going to believe based on those two setences:
The Plat this season or the unranked player?

YattaRX8

Recruiter

11-19-2012

Quote:
Menea6587:
I have no idea what the answer is.
Who am I going to believe based on those two setences:
The Plat this season or the unranked player?

The Plat that doesn't play Garen, obviously!

But seriously, who recommended a Black Cleaver? What the eff?

Brutalizer > IE > tanky stuff if you're dying > LW if they stack armor > eventually upgrade Brutalizer into Ghost Blade

Krynul

11-19-2012

Quote:
Saigo Getsuga:
With good building order.

Ty.

My Garen build:

1.Doran's Shield=>10.Randuin's Omen
2.Brutalizer=> 11.Yomuu's
3.Boots=>6.Mercury Treads/Boots of Swiftness
4.Chain Vest=>8.Atma's Impaler
5.Negatron Cloak=>9.Force of Nature
7.Warmog's

Explanation:
Start with Doran's shield, this will give you insatiable amounts of sustain and keep you in the game.

As soon as possible rush a brutalizer and brown's. This alone will likely give you enough damage to clear minion waves and beat down your opponent while healing off the damage.

Next time you go back get a chain vest or a cloak depending on your opponent's damage source. Once you get this you will now be incredibly hard to take down.

Next finish your boots and other mitigation. For your boots Mercury treads will be the standard, if you're against fast enemies or enemies with little to no CC feel free to use boots of swiftness.

Your next goal is to get a warmog's. This will push your regen even further and make you much bulkier.

Next work on Atma's Impaler/Force of Nature. This will either give you good damage or give you speed and top out your regen.

Randuin's Omen is your final piece. It's your optimal choice but if you need more MR or Health feel free to aim at those. This is really just your free slot to customize. Some may want to use this slot for an infinity edge.

If at any time you aren't taking a lot of damage and want to deal more damage finish off the Brutalizer. This is seriously the only offensive item you really need. While garen does well with a damage heavy build, it's highly unnecessary and he's capable of doing terrifying amounts of damage with just a Yomuu's.

Note: This build will be almost useless with the new items since force of nature is being removed. Yommuu's and Black Cleaver will also be in direct competition with each other and I'm still trying to decide which is more effective in the end. Boots of Swiftness may take the lead as your boots of choice since they're getting the anti-slow passive.

MrFoxx

11-19-2012

Quote:
TehJigger:
If you're doing good and the enemy isn't strong then rush an IE and just get free kills with Q+E, however you should rush tank items like sunfire, warmogs, FoN pretty fast incase they get strong.

I hear force of nature is still a good buy in season 3. *cough*

Let me help you.

runebook = 15 arm pen, 6.8 ad, 8.53 cdr
mastery = 8/22/0 taking

Start with boots, 3 health pots. if you can control your lane and youve gotten a few kills go straight bf sword, otherwise pick axes, or longsword + shroud, buy one chain mail vest, finish IE, build hexdrinker, or if there are a lot of ap, then finish maw, while buying the components for IE. Build sunfirecape (randium omen in season 3) buy cdr boots. Buy zeal, finish triforce, Build phantom dancer.

This is a stick and move build, requires you to have proper timing on your w, and knowing how and when to use your ability to pick off the adc, ap squishy in the back.