@Red Summoner Names

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Latias

11-21-2012

The name I want is level 11 with no games played in a year..

That's mildly disappointing..

Hippalus

eCommerce Director

11-21-2012
10 of 12 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aviatrix View Post
When there is a change in precedence set in previous years, could this by chance be communicated earlier than a couple days before the expected event?

I just started playing in July.

Looking at past years information I had expected a Harrowing skin for the SR map. I was waiting for it very anxiously. All through October - up until the moment a red said it wouldn't happen - I was terribly impatient. All the build up led to a mass of disappointment. But I understood that sometimes things wouldn't happen.

I also expected a black friday sale. This is something I thought would be for sure. There was a precedent set in the proceeding years. I've been anxiously waiting for it. And again find myself severely disappointed.
I also must ask why there was no thought into there being a Black Friday sale? Was there a belief that nobody would be expecting it even though it has happened twice previously?

I have not been playing very long. Every event which has occurred in the past which I expected to happen again this year... has not happened. It may only be two. But as a relatively new player it's frustrating to see something which happened previously and mistakenly believe it will be an annual event.
It also leads me to feel as though I should not be looking forward to any future events I think might happen.

Yes, this is an emotional response. However, I also feel it's important to note the impact on *relatively* new players when they hope to see an event that has happened in the past. "Sorry, only the people that were here before you get to take part in these cool things which appear to be annual. They're not."
Fair questions. Other than major events (Harrowing, Snowdown Showdown, Lunar Revel), we don't operate from an annual calendar in terms of how we plan (in other words, we don't say "let's do x because we did it last year). We look at the next several months and decide what's the best way to use our resources to bring great new stuff to players. That's why we built Shadow Isles instead of a SR map skin. And that's why Black Friday didn't even cross my radar until today.

Khell DarkWolf

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
The point of the wipe is to free up names from players who no longer play the game. Smurfs that hold names just to troll is another issue entirely. I'm not sure how big of an issue it is, but if it is significant, we will solve it eventually.
I honestly believe that this issue is significant.

While the name wipe will clear a number of names.

The actuality of probable names people wish to have names changed to is less then you think compared to those being held above level 5 AND haven't played in a year or more.

Golbat

11-21-2012

...Really Hippalus? If an event is successful why the hell not do it again? Everyone was hoping for this Black Friday sale.

inb4 Snowdown Showdown skins are all 1350 because "we added a joke"

Vautical

11-21-2012

Kind of an off topic question. I was wondering when will summoners be able to change their user name. I've spent way too much money on my current account to make a new one. Riot support told me that as of now there is no way to change user names due to security policies. I just wanted to change my username to my email address. Can a red answer this? =(

Hippalus

eCommerce Director

11-21-2012
11 of 12 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeninth View Post
It is disappointing no Black Friday sale. Isn't it the busiest shopping day in the year for Americans? It's kinda a blunder on Riot's part then to not take advantage of it. Even though they are busy planning S3 I really don't think it's that hard to pick a bunch of skins and champs and put them at 75% off.

I guess getting the person who's responsible for posting announcements to write up another sale and inserting an image is way too much work...

Well it's Riot's loss more than ours. Now all you Americans can spend your money in store for Black Friday sales and not on this game
The announcement of the normal Friday sale is already locked in and ready to go. I'm not going to ask people to work Thanksgiving Day for this, even if it would make Riot a few bucks.

But I understand the excitement around a big sale, so we'll do it in January once the holidays are done and we can plan appropriately for it.

MVP MVP MVP MVP

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-21-2012

I purchased a name change like... Five days ago.

Baron Von Bacons

11-21-2012

Hippalus, any news regarding a Christmas Summoners Rift makeover?

Thlng One

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
Fair questions. Other than major events (Harrowing, Snowdown Showdown, Lunar Revel), we don't operate from an annual calendar in terms of how we plan (in other words, we don't say "let's do x because we did it last year). We look at the next several months and decide what's the best way to use our resources to bring great new stuff to players. That's why we built Shadow Isles instead of a SR map skin. And that's why Black Friday didn't even cross my radar until today.
Yes I understand that just because the company did something for the past two years we should not all expect the same thing to happen the following year, but the thing is that a very mass majority of the people do. "Hey they did x and x the last few years I hope they will do it again." I can get why this is not all logical I would have to agree with the original poster saying that it is really uneasy for a person to wait and wait to ultimately hear just two days before an event that they have cancelled it. Maybe an earlier notice would be nice so people don't have to wait.

Latias

11-21-2012

Okay, so one name I want is level 11 with no games in a year.

The other name is level 5 with it's last game played 10 months ago. (It will be 11 by the time the update rolls out.)

Will there be any leniency here, or am I just screwed?