@Red Summoner Names

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shattered Exile

11-22-2012

A name I would want is exactly lvl 5 and hasn't played in 12 months, will this one be cleared Sir Hipalus I?

Virellius

11-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
I don't mind borderline personal insults, as long as they're tied to constructive comments or questions. The main focus of my job is to bring new ideas to Riot and drive them forward. Things that wouldn't happen otherwise: like gifting, ward skins, new summoner icons, new bundle technology, new types of sales (rune pages, summoner name changes) and more. That is where I spend my time. Week to week champion/skin sales and prices all happen the same way they did before I got here and don't need my involvement 99% of the time. That will likely change over time as I build out the eCommerce department and get more involved in those things, but I get more excited about the new stuff, and I think players will too at the end of the day.

And yeah, I get stuff wrong sometimes. Holiday ward skin rentals made sense to me at the time as a new way to liven up the holidays, but the reaction was more negative than I expected. I probably could have paid more attention to traditional eCommerce events like Black Friday. Most eCommerce companies consider Black Friday an opportunity to take advantage of lots of shoppers looking for deals, and I'm sure if we sold shoes, we would do the same. But, rightly or wrongly, we're way more interested in making the game better and trying new things to see what interests players.

That said, now that I realize players were excited about it and looking forward to it, I'll find a way to make up for it. A January sale event based on player input seems like the best option at this time. Will post more on this Friday.
Again, sorry for a borderline insult, but the fact you just said 'if we sold shoes, we would do the same' really just rustled my jimmies. Skins and the champions they are bought for ARE this game. People want to play champions they like. People like customizing things they like. People like feeling fulfilled when they buy something they have wanted for a while. Customer moods increase when the fulfill their desires, in this case by buying skins they have longed for but maybe haven't been able to afford.

Making the game better? Seeing what interests players? You seem to have a disconnect from your target market. As eCommerce Director, this should be your PRIMARY focus. Jumping onto potential gold mines and making the most off of them while keeping your customers coming back for more. Now, in the future, players will be nervous about Black Friday, always remembering 'the year without a Santa Claus', so to speak.

(as far as I know) You're not a champion designer. You're not a community coordinator. You are in charge of COMMERCE. The flow of money. This was your responsibility, and as a business major and avid Black Friday shopper, I am very disappointed. I'm sure a lot of us are. And throwing out a normal sale as if it's just another day? Salt on the wound.

How hard would it be to say 'skins made before -insert date here- are now 50% off, as well as their respective champions'? Some sort of consolation. Even a champion IP sale would be amazing.

I'm not begging. Nor am I trying to be a ******. I'm just trying to provide some insight into what, in my opinion, a lot of people will be thinking come Friday.

bLues

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virellius View Post
Now, in the future, players will be nervous about Black Friday, always remembering 'the year without a Santa Claus', so to speak..
lol
im sorry

what?

Virellius

11-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protomannnn View Post
lol
im sorry

what?
The feeling of 'remember that one time that we didnt have a sale and how everyone was mad?

...will it happen again?'

Don't dis on my stop motion childrens holiday movie references.

Muggsly

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-22-2012

Quote:
The people that worked on it last year are not with Riot anymore, and there is not a good historical record of the thought process behind old sales. I was aware we retired a lot of skins at 75% off late last year, but just learned today that sale was tied to Black Friday.
I am not really how to handle this statement. No historical process? You guys are 3yrs old and you did it for the 1st 2 yrs so one could say you have done it your entire life as a company yet for whatever reason you have chosen not to this year. BTW I will point out the 1st year nothing was retired and if you spent anytime in the US which I will assume you did than the concept of BlackFriday is not foreign to anyone.

And this after Riot forgot their own 3rd birthday and did nothing for that either. I want to believe riot is a good company so I will but this stink is either of ineptitude or greed. Which does not bode well when a company starts to lose sight of all the little things that made people love it. Big things are great but the little things is what makes us what we are.

kurate

11-22-2012

I think they are just trying to play the sucker card.

guitarnoob16

11-22-2012

i guess we wont get anythign for christmas...we will prob get rentable champion skins..after all it would be wierd to have a christmas skin after the holidays...maby they should make those harrowing skins available during the season...lol @ riots logic

Loleon

11-22-2012

You're complaining about January sale? Seriously?

The January sales, in the UK at least, is the best time to get stuff mega cheap. Stop being short sighted and look outside your own country for once.

Inigo

11-22-2012

Respect for being upfront with everything Hippalus. I used to work Black Friday, so I'll never forgot when it is -.-; but all the same, stuff happens, priorities are shifted, and things slip through the cracks. Can't wait for the Name Change sale, and more importantly, the skin sale, based our our input.

EminentFate

11-22-2012

Quote:
The announcement of the normal Friday sale is already locked in and ready to go. I'm not going to ask people to work Thanksgiving Day for this, even if it would make Riot a few bucks.

But I understand the excitement around a big sale, so we'll do it in January once the holidays are done and we can plan appropriately for it.
sorry but i dont want a big sale in January after i killed all my money on presents, boxing day and Christmas skins.