Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

@Red Summoner Names

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zastie

11-21-2012

Quote:
Hippalus:
I don't mind borderline personal insults, as long as they're tied to constructive comments or questions. The main focus of my job is to bring new ideas to Riot and drive them forward. Things that wouldn't happen otherwise: like gifting, ward skins, new summoner icons, new bundle technology, new types of sales (rune pages, summoner name changes) and more. That is where I spend my time. Week to week champion/skin sales and prices all happen the same way they did before I got here and don't need my involvement 99% of the time. That will likely change over time as I build out the eCommerce department and get more involved in those things, but I get more excited about the new stuff, and I think players will too at the end of the day.

And yeah, I get stuff wrong sometimes. Holiday ward skin rentals made sense to me at the time as a new way to liven up the holidays, but the reaction was more negative than I expected. I probably could have paid more attention to traditional eCommerce events like Black Friday. Most eCommerce companies consider Black Friday an opportunity to take advantage of lots of shoppers looking for deals, and I'm sure if we sold shoes, we would do the same. But, rightly or wrongly, we're way more interested in making the game better and trying new things to see what interests players.

That said, now that I realize players were excited about it and looking forward to it, I'll find a way to make up for it. A January sale event based on player input seems like the best option at this time. Will post more on this Friday.

Just please please please make it like the other Black Fridays sales where the skins are retired and are 75% off.

vegivampire

11-21-2012

Quote:
Zastie:
Just please please please make it like the other Black Fridays sales where the skins are retired and are 75% off.

Why would you want to have skins retired?

vsTerminus

11-21-2012

I really hope that some of the legacy skins come back out for sale in January.

I was out of town at the end of June and completely missed the Red Card Katarina skin. I want that one so badly >.>

Oath Blade

11-21-2012

Quote:
Hippalus:
I don't mind borderline personal insults, as long as they're tied to constructive comments or questions. The main focus of my job is to bring new ideas to Riot and drive them forward. Things that wouldn't happen otherwise: like gifting, ward skins, new summoner icons, new bundle technology, new types of sales (rune pages, summoner name changes) and more. That is where I spend my time. Week to week champion/skin sales and prices all happen the same way they did before I got here and don't need my involvement 99% of the time. That will likely change over time as I build out the eCommerce department and get more involved in those things, but I get more excited about the new stuff, and I think players will too at the end of the day.

And yeah, I get stuff wrong sometimes. Holiday ward skin rentals made sense to me at the time as a new way to liven up the holidays, but the reaction was more negative than I expected. I probably could have paid more attention to traditional eCommerce events like Black Friday. Most eCommerce companies consider Black Friday an opportunity to take advantage of lots of shoppers looking for deals, and I'm sure if we sold shoes, we would do the same. But, rightly or wrongly, we're way more interested in making the game better and trying new things to see what interests players.

That said, now that I realize players were excited about it and looking forward to it, I'll find a way to make up for it. A January sale event based on player input seems like the best option at this time. Will post more on this Friday.

It's k, I'll help nao...

Happeh Thanks Giving Ereyone!

Narrr....[¬º-°]¬.... [Turkeh]

Mxie

Recruiter

11-21-2012

Quote:
Hippalus:

I guess I just misunderstood your role that you play in skin sales, then. But just look at it from my perspective (and probably the perspective from others): you are, as far as I know, the closest thing we have to talking to Riot's marketing team. Again I know next to nothing about this stuff, but I assume that means your department is in charge of stuff that gets sold, including sales. It's a little weird that the head of such a department completely misses Black Friday.

[Here is where I wrote a long thing about Riot's marketing lately, then realized this isn't the thread for it.]

Regardless, thanks for at least letting us know about a future sale, and have a happy Thanksgiving!

P.S. I am more serious than you think when I say I'd willingly work on Thanksgiving to set up a Black Friday sale.

HandOfBlood

11-21-2012

Hey so I got a name change like... two days ago, I definitely woulda waited if I knew about this. Any chance I can get half of that back by contacting support, or did I mess up?

Kazkal

11-21-2012

So I made account to hold my old name it's under level 5 but I made it in 2012, Any chance it will be cleared out wanted to reclaim it.

TheFlyingSpoon

11-21-2012

Quote:
Hippalus:

I thought the holiday ward skins were real cool. Maybe find some other way to price them?

What about having 2 set prices for 2 varied collections (2 or 3 skins each) of holiday skins, for say, 3 weeks around the holiday.

E.g., Players can buy a package of 2 holiday-skinned wards for 1000 IP that will be usable from 2 weeks prior to the holiday, and 1 week past the holiday.

Maybe just have them cost IP, so players don't focus so hard on - "Ahhh you're making me pay RP to rent custom skins!".

It's fun to be festive, and I think it adds value to the game.

Saint Latona

11-21-2012

Any chance you could make Legacy skins go on sale?

Auryiel

11-21-2012

Quote:
Hippalus:

January sale...

You must be kidding...

A sale AFTER we spend money on Christmas and vacations?

Seriously?