The real reason the tribunal fails

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Turqurzen

11-19-2012

Before I start, understand that I haven't been banned or warned before (well... except for really early in my LoL days when I didn't know how seriously quitting during games was taken. That's changed, I assure you), so I'm not here saying this because I got banned and I'm mad or whatever.

More, my frustration comes from reading these "why was I banned" etc threads from other people.

Now, not all of them have an actual "case" to their complaints. In fact, most of them deserved a punishment, that's pretty easy to see. But see, the thing about other games is that when you get reported for something and/or banned, there's always a way for you to open a dialogue with mods or admins or whatever through a contact us function. They can look back and explain the situation, or decide that okay maybe we really were too harsh, whatever.

So what I'm getting at, here, is that the problem with the tribunal is that there's no chance for appeal. I'm all for using a "jury of your peers", I love the general idea for a tribunal, but ultimately you need mods to go over this and decide for themselves what they think. Maybe use the votes as a guideline, but your moderation staff needs to have a last say, else it's just out of hand.

So yeah. The problem with the tribunal is there's no dialogue. It gives Riot complete immunity to it - "Oh, we didn't ban you - people did!". And, obviously, that's a problem.

Accept some responsibility and do it right, Riot. I love the Tribunal system as a whole, but it definitely needs some tweaking.

Zambi

11-19-2012

+1

I agree with you 100%

nothingxs

11-19-2012

I would agree with you if Riot hadn't stated before that they have actually consistently voted much harsher than the Tribunal community has on cases. It's a good idea, but something tells me that Riot would just change a lot more Pardons to Punishes than the other way around.

pwndabear

11-19-2012

im gonna go ahead and +1 that. i agree with you; riot needs to take some responsibility for appeals.

Turqurzen

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingxs View Post
I would agree with you if Riot hadn't stated before that they have actually consistently voted much harsher than the Tribunal community has on cases. It's a good idea, but something tells me that Riot would just change a lot more Pardons to Punishes than the other way around.
So what though? Eventually they'd realise they were too harsh and the rules would start to change if banning got out of hand. That's just how it goes.

And if not, maybe they're right? Either way you'd know who banned you and who to contact and how etc.

Turqurzen

11-19-2012

Dat bump

Great Pyrenees

11-19-2012

The name of this post should be "The reason we are so thankful for a Tribunal"! Riot owns this game, and we sign a EULA to play it. We agree to follow the summoners code. Riot deals harshly with infractions of the summoners code so they created the Tribunal to give people a second chance to reform and become positive influences on our community. Thank you Riot, everything is working well!

Methelod

11-19-2012

There is a difference between opening communication, and opening appeals. The problem is that opening communication is good (If both parties know when they personally should end it, or at least one of them), it lets people get a better understanding of what went on and why. They have that somewhat with the forums but some people might want a source of authority. That would be good.

Opening appeals literally solves nothing. Every player who comes through here believes they are an innocent little person, they think that insulting their teammates is perfectly acceptable and will not listen to reason. All you'd do is encourage them to complain without looking at why they were banned.

The problem with your original post is that it shows a lack of understanding in how the tribunal works. Their moderation team does have a say in these things. Especially at higher levels of punishments, so claiming that we need them to have something they already have is pointless and redundant.

TheFlyingSpoon

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turqurzen View Post
Before I start, understand that I haven't been banned or warned before (well... except for really early in my LoL days when I didn't know how seriously quitting during games was taken. That's changed, I assure you), so I'm not here saying this because I got banned and I'm mad or whatever.

Players that feel that they've been unjustly punished through the Tribunal should post their Reform Cards in the forum.

If the community agrees that the Punish vote was "wrong" then players will get support from the community. Otherwise, the community can give helpful feedback as to why they may have been given a Punish vote.

If a player gets sufficient support from the community as far as the incorrectness of their Punish vote, they should start a dialog with Player Support.