What do you think?

We need more badass females 637 28.88%
We need more crude, unrefined, gritty females 313 14.19%
All above. 858 38.89%
NO. 398 18.04%
Voters: 2206. You may not vote on this poll

@IronStylus/Morello: [Subject] The type of female champions we're missing.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Thessalonike

11-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Could not agree more here - big hole in this archetype, and one of my favorites. Makes me think of Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica.

You will be very pleased with our final release of the year
starbuck.... awesome!

Konpaku Youmu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoozleDorf View Post
I don't get some of the references in here. I keep seeing "more badass Touhou-style women!", yet when I Google image search for 'Touhou', all I see is flowery, rainbowed, big-eyed, little-bo-peep um -stuff- like this:

Attachment 561442 Attachment 561443 Attachment 561444

what am I missing here?
Hi, I would be one of those.

Ninja Disco Frog

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoozleDorf View Post
I don't get some of the references in here. I keep seeing "more badass Touhou-style women!", yet when I Google image search for 'Touhou', all I see is flowery, rainbowed, big-eyed, little-bo-peep um -stuff- like this:

Attachment 561442 Attachment 561443 Attachment 561444

what am I missing here?
I was thinking the same thing. None of those characters listed in the OP really scream as 'badass' but the artist just have them in badass poses or doing badass looking things (most of the characters from Touhou look pretty adorable to me)

Seeing this I actually had a whole discussion with some friends about badass anime characters and none of us could think of many that just flat out look like they would wreck **** if they were to appear on screen.

I saw Jack from ME2 mentioned. I would definitely agree she is badass.

Jack for those who don't know

Then there are others like Michonne, (when she made her debut in the walking dead show you could just sense the badassness around her lol), these two from Kill Bill, X-23, Paine from FFX-2, and each of these girls from Legend of Korra and The Last Airbender.

I honestly feel like the live action chicks i posted do a better job at badassness and grit but these are just some examples i could think of off the top of my head. With badass champs I would love more champions like cassio/elise(champs whose sexualized design go hand in hand with their lore, posture and mannerisms), karma(elegant, graceful female champs) and diana(she cray cray lol).

GreatestRedPanda

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by izari View Post
I appreciate the awesome reply.

I think the variety still stands. The human guys in LoL still vary and size and age more so than the females. That's what I'm hoping will change. I don't argue that the "male ideal" as represented in video games isn't also problematic. It gets into some interesting gender psychology - do men feel objectified / uncomfortable by it? It would seem not - but it's hard to say how people REALLY feel / think.

I personally don't like overly ripped dudes. Toned is attractive - hulking muscle is not. I can't speak for all ladies (and gay gents) but anecdotally many of my friends agree. A little tummy is fine (even preferred sometimes) and a healthy lifestyle is a common description.
The "Male ideal" body is largely a male-fueled idea. That, and hulking muscles are at least somewhat realistic / relevant to what the male character do / use as weapons. IE Trynd... dat right arm. But he is dragging a giant-ass sword everywhere, a skinny dude probably couldn't do that. But for women - to be strong enough to use some of those weapons would mean to have considerably less body fat = smaller boobs, abs, and toned bodies which we don't see too often.

So on that end , it's probably fair to say that 98% of straight guys don't actually hold real life women to that ideal - but the vocal trollish minority just loves to go "you're only mad cause you're fat / ugly / self concious etc."

"they will never ever make a uber pasty, ridiculously skinny odd shaped A cup breast female champion"

That's kinda unfortunate thinking. Any GoT fans out there? Arya - need I say more XD (I would LOVE a scrawny tomboy type character)

I KNOW @___@ But i feel like in her case it's almost fitting. She's kind of grotesque to begin with. "Look at me, I'm a scraggly hell monster with bloodish magic who bakes cookies. Yum"
I'll agree there is a Slighty larger variation on size and age, Zilean as an example there. as for body size they for the most part jump between lee sin martial arts style build and Garen i wear heavy armor style builds, so i'll reinforce slight there and most any of the male characters that don't fit into that category are a monster of some kind. I'd also point out that while female characters do have less variation in the same sort of area, again we do have Annie and various Yordle women, there is various reasons i'm sure people are over-looking. You could go up from where we are and end up with a beef cake of a women with relatively no breast and all muscle every where looking like she could actually lift leona's ridiculous shield and sword (i would point out that there are plenty of male characters that despite their good builds couldn't actually or practically wield there weapons either for long periods of time or even decently) but like is often stated by all parties of this argument, in this kind of fantasy setting (strong emphasis on fantasy as in you could be how you like and do what you like and the sky is the limits of imagination) it's just not popular with the majority of consumers of this kind of product, and to say that that is a terrible immoral sexist thing is in many ways a direct assault on the character of those who do appreciate their champions to be sexy and curvacious, (though i would agree that that particluar body style has become a bit tired and overused in LoL). The other extreme would be the other way in which you could have some incredibly petite body types (-i myself am more in favour of toned, more petite builds on female characters with a ferocious and wild personality or cold arrogant personality, see amy from soul calibur 4, and i also like half+ beast champs like cass.-) or Loli type characters for those who prefer easten styles of media. but Riot can't venture to that side of the rope either because they would not only get flamed by Feminists daily but would incur the wrath of anybody who decides that its some how projecting some sort of *** image onto children even if the character wasn't designed as a child at all simply because of a smaller figure which means the only way it would work if they were incredibly careful of what she wore and said and how she acted which would would take away any interest anybody might have in creating her at all (you can only use the little girl annie theme once after all). This means that any character riot makes has to be closer to the middle ground on either side AND still has to be able to be popular enough that it would be worth making in the first place so they make champs like Ahri and Miss fortune or Zyra as while it may upset the feminist faction, its popular and there are no legal ramifications staring them down over a short desk. Monsters like Cho and khazix are an option but they are so far from human the only defferential point would be voice actor so what does it matter? Riots few attempts to please your party post diana (riven and such) have been given the cold shoulder because though they weren't over sexualized they still had Breasts and weren't ugly or disfigured (again why is that even necessary?) which was probably not overly heartening for riot.

As to your other comments, isn't it a little sad that an ideal should be considered problematic simply because there are people who don't live up to it? Humans strive for beauty and attractiveness and the fact that the current ideal of that can't be reached by everyone shouldn't make it " an unhealthy body image" or wrong. what you attempt there is to dictate how people should or shouldn't feel or see the world and that is more unhealthy then people finding curvacious figures as an epitome of attractiveness.

Also to say that "The "Male ideal" body is largely a male-fueled idea." is rubbish. by saying that you are effectively saying that men are shallow while women aren't capable of caring about something as silly as somebodies body shape. Men work for good bodies because women find it desirable, the stick has two ends so to speak, while not all women may desire a toned or ripped body on a man, neither do all men insist on women having double Ds and an hour glass waist, but a large majority on either side appreciate both.

I've run out of steam for this post and i'm hoping my post isn't offensive in anyway Izari.
And one last note while i agree your arguments can't dismissed as simple insecurity on particular women's behalf but neither can it be denied that campaigning against an unrealistic ideal of desirability of video game women (women who do not and never will exist) as many women can't possibly meet the standard doesn't have certain roots in general insecurity of physique. (not necessarily you personally).

Edit: PS Arya for GoT is supposed to be 9 years old and I'm not sure its a good comparison as the actor is not pasty nor has odd shaped A cup breasts and is playing a Nine year old but i spent more time reading the books and haven't watched all that much of the series, so i might be a little off there

No Mid No Life

11-22-2012

So.. new champion makes Irelia (or Riven) look like innocent kittens?

Commander Banana

11-22-2012

I want a female champ that says,

"I'll kick your Kass back to the void!"

Reybag

11-22-2012

let me guess she will have a huge tattoo on one of her HUGE BOOBS

Bes7iA

11-23-2012

i want a melee woman with a big ass sword, and a lot of scars

jars

11-23-2012

I want someone like sarah conner. her beating down guards with a night stick aroused me and I'm not afraid to admit it

pochoclotot

11-23-2012

I like your hentai, but Diana and Riven are perfect examples of what you are looking for.