Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

What do you think?

We need more badass females 637 28.88%
We need more crude, unrefined, gritty females 313 14.19%
All above. 858 38.89%
NO. 398 18.04%
Voters 2206 .

@IronStylus/Morello: [Subject] The type of female champions we're missing.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hashmäl

11-20-2012

Quote:
izari:
Bet everybody downvoting my post didn't even read it. GG, stay classy summoners.

I read it and speaking of warped anatomy, Morgana's new splash art.

Jenvas

Recruiter

11-20-2012

The OP is not downvoted in the hundrets yet? I'll check back later. I gave up hope on this and I wont exhume it yet.

Garthul

11-20-2012

I think what OP really wants is a character that closely resembles his favorite anime character. The problem with anime is that there's really only maybe a dozen personalities, spread over thousands of characters. When Riot is looking for inspiration for a new character, using a persona that has been done to death is generally not a way to make a champion memorable.

Den Kuchen

11-20-2012

Assuming may make an ass of me, but this new badass female is Riven 2.

My guess.

GreatestRedPanda

11-20-2012

Quote:
izari:
I suppose this conversation is a bit tired, but I thought I may, as a female player and an artist myself, throw my two pennies in (as I tend to do when this subject comes up).

Now don't get me wrong; and I know I have to put this here, early, because everybody's just loves jumping on the oversensitive prude-butch-virgin-conservative-feminist bandwagon. I don't have a problem with ***, nor do I have a problem with sexuality, or sexy women in games. And yes, there are times where I like to play a sexy woman in a game. There are times when I like to play a sexy male in a game, too.

The problem I do have is how unreal and focused the sexuality of female characters is in comparison to male characters, the message it sends, and in some (admittingly few) cases borderline disturbing some of these "so called ideals" get. It's not that boobs and cleavage are bad. It's that every single human female character has C+ cups and most have cleavage. Tiny wastes and an hourglass shape. Etc.

It bothers me that while there definitely is a recognizable shift in recent design, there are also steps backwards. You guys made Diana, and I could cry for how fantastic she is in so many ways. But then the Soraka re-make kind of broke my heart. She needed an update, desperately, but did she really need to be sexed up and aged down? Yes, we can argue she was covered up more, but part of her original appeal to me was that she was unappealing. She was a scrawny space goat. She wasn't pretty or sexy. She actually LOOKED older than 25. Now she's got bigger boobs, a smoother, fuller look, and a young face. She's now sexually appealing. I'll admit I"m torn here cause she looks amazing, but it had to come with a *** appeal upgrade.

And the new Miss Fortune default splash art has me cringing every time I see it. That is a WARPED sense of appeal - her chest is the focus but her waist / hips are... deformed looking. And I suppose since I'm not the target here since I dont' like girls, I actually notice how sickly her new body is, and how problematic trying to idealize that sort of look is. Not that she's wearing a sexy outfit, cause I don't mind that, but the fact that any real person who looked like that would be missing vital organs. Seriously.

I've been closely involved with the gaming industry for a few years and I have to say overall I love Riot, for more reasons than just LoL being fantastic but their engagement with the community. In my dream world I would work as an artist there and try to help positively influence design.

Either way - I think, eventually, things will balance out. I love BSG and a Starbuck-esque character is so ridiculously amazing - I can't wait to see this new character. Also, that new Varus skin = eye candy I think many of us can appreciate (can I put my vote in for some more of these? ;D)

This is how a post against female character current body shapes should look. i'll + 1 you izari but the down votes should have been expected as your post while polite and stating your opinion was more or less formated in the exact way that all "im against super model body champions" are, you say something like i'm fine with *** i'm not prudish but most of these champs are shaped as an ideal that alot of women don't stand up too and are over sexualized and its not right, while lots of the male characters aren't done to that standard and aren't over sexualized. But it's just not true. nearly all of the human male champions are some girls dream boat with rocking upper bodies and and 6-8 packs for abs, yes even though you can't see them you can tell Ezreal has them too under his explorer outfit and heck even messed up scientist singed has them as shown in his surf boy skin. the only double standard here is imaginary and don't hit me with Gragas, he isn't human like i mentioned in an early post. they will never ever make a uber pasty, ridiculously skinny odd shaped A cup breast female champion, they just won't ( yes that last bit is a bit exagerrated but i'm sure you can appreciate my general point there) There is no double standard even drugged up Mundo machine who WAS human is buff as a truck if a tad slobbery, but hes drug fudged so what can you say? and of course Urgot, the one i will give you but as he was killed mutilated and Frankenstein'd i think we can place him in the Yordle zone if any body really wants to argue the point.

Don't down vote a reasonbly posted opinion people just debate the point without abuse and don't thumb it up.

Hashmäl

11-20-2012

Quote:
Garthul:
I think what OP really wants is a character that closely resembles his favorite anime character. The problem with anime is that there's really only maybe a dozen personalities, spread over thousands of characters. When Riot is looking for inspiration for a new character, using a persona that has been done to death is generally not a way to make a champion memorable.

But riot does that all the time.

Garthul

11-20-2012

Quote:
Hashmäl:
But riot does that all the time.

Yeah Riot uses existing archetypes to build up a new champion, but I guarantee you if you let most people create their own 'unique' character, they would make a carbon copy of a character from something else they like. Also given the fact that OP linked nothing but anime art, I'm willing to bet every persona he wants is probably from 1-2 shows, most likely with large archetypal overlaps even between the two.

I'm sick of the anime junk, far too little variance between characters. Fortunately, Riot tends to pull more from western archetypes than eastern, which I believe has a lot more choices and hence greater variety in champion types.

SheriffV2

11-20-2012

I think Morello may have a thing for Starbuck ~.^

Hashmäl

11-20-2012

Quote:
Garthul:
Yeah Riot uses existing archetypes to build up a new champion, but I guarantee you if you let most people create their own 'unique' character, they would make a carbon copy of a character from something else they like. Also given the fact that OP linked nothing but anime art, I'm willing to bet every persona he wants is probably from 1-2 shows, most likely with large archetypal overlaps even between the two.

I'm sick of the anime junk, far too little variance between characters. Fortunately, Riot tends to pull more from western archetypes than eastern, which I believe has a lot more choices and hence greater variety in champion types.

This new champ Nami is quite anime-like eye wise and I despise the fact that her chest is literally ripped open just to show off cleavage. I must say it is not very hydrodynamic.

Deaftstar

11-20-2012

all we have is bad ass females, that is why i play :3