Why do ADC try to fight instead of just farm?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Menea6587

11-19-2012

Especially if they have little poking capabilities?
If you grab even only 4-5 creeps per wave, you can get an IE in 15 minutes. If you nab all the small creeps, you get an IE + zeal. If you grab all the smalls and the siege minions and farm for about 3 more minutes, you now have IE + PD, and IE + PD is your tank killer mid game with LW your third component once they hit 200 armor.

It mean, it's nice to get kills, but it's EXTREMELY easy to give up 1 or 2 waves of creeps for that kill if you're not careful. If you do that, the amount of gold you could have gotten actually outweighs the gold you got from the kill. Plus, if you fail in getting the kill or you have to back, that's another wave of creeps you could have gotten while you take 30 seconds to return to lane.

some cute girl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-19-2012

Killing them gets you 300g and stops them from farming completely.

OBITWIZZLE

11-19-2012

This is my main problem when I play ADC.

I understand it's the support's job to harass/zone, but they'll yell at me if I don't help, and they'll chase when i KNOW we should be farming. So I get caught up in harass, and then trying to get a kill. Do I normally get wiped by the jungler because neither of us warded? YEP SURE DO.

Masked Anathema

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menea6587 View Post
Especially if they have little poking capabilities?
If you grab even only 4-5 creeps per wave, you can get an IE in 15 minutes. If you nab all the small creeps, you get an IE + zeal. If you grab all the smalls and the siege minions and farm for about 3 more minutes, you now have IE + PD, and IE + PD is your tank killer mid game with LW your third component once they hit 200 armor.

It mean, it's nice to get kills, but it's EXTREMELY easy to give up 1 or 2 waves of creeps for that kill if you're not careful. If you do that, the amount of gold you could have gotten actually outweighs the gold you got from the kill. Plus, if you fail in getting the kill or you have to back, that's another wave of creeps you could have gotten while you take 30 seconds to return to lane.

You're forgetting another metric, though.

If you push out the OTHER AD carry and prevent him from getting those waves and then some (if he died or had to b or just had to hug the tower till his dead support got back.) then it was wholly worth it. You've gotta understand that doing nothing but farming is only effective in a vacuum where your goal is to get your items asap.

tempnameA461

11-19-2012

I'd rather chop a man's head off than tend to corn.

Layla

11-19-2012

The goal is to gain a gold advantage over your opponent. If you can do that by outfarming, great. If you can do it by denying, great. If you can do both, why not?

Krazula

11-19-2012

When you kill the other adc then they get no farm for the time that they are dead, also your support gets 175 gold for it too.

But yes, farming is very important and is your major income source and shouldn't be forgotten about.

Sometimes people sacrifice too much farm because they care too much about kills, and sometimes even die trying to get those kills. I think they have a mentality that their skill is completely accurately measured by k/d.

Legendariez

11-19-2012

The trick is in harrassing when you see they coming to get minions. You won't always be farming... and if you can get a kill why not?

Internet

11-19-2012

Would you rather have me be 5 - 1 /w 85 farm? Or 0 0 0 and just a bit over 100, with the other ADC is the same?

Menea6587

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
The goal is to gain a gold advantage over your opponent. If you can do that by outfarming, great. If you can do it by denying, great. If you can do both, why not?
The third one is ideal, however I see many ADC (including myself) trying to bully and missing some valuable CS. I can easily make up the farming mid-late game by safe farming near a turret since the people at my elo don't free farm after laning is over, but I keep trying to just farm and poke for two reasons:1) I can afford to do it without missing CS, 2) to pull the lane back towards my tower.

However, completely committing usually ends up being bad because now both or just our ADC is lower on health with little LS and he missed 6-12 CS. In addition, if he backs, there's another 6-12 CS he could have gotten.

I don't generally suffer from this because I've gotten a feel when to commit since MF can 100-0 pretty much everybody who doesn't have Taric and full armor runes. However, for weaker champs like Vayne and Ashe, I see a bunch of people forgetting the value of farming in lieu of some pretty bad harass that leaves them worse off relative to their opponent.