Why do teams that crush the other team say "well played"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Brinzy

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaruFrozen View Post
Because they think they're being sporting, but in reality no one wants to hear 'Well played guys!' after they got crushed especially if they did poorly. GG is a handshake, wp is fine if the game was hard fought, but otherwise it's an insult to most.
Oh wow, normal players with a sense of what's actually sportsmanship!

Rusty Trooper

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-19-2012

When we win by a huge margin ( and they don't surrender ), I usually say - gg and thanks for playing out the game ( especially if they had a dc / rage quitter ). I guess "gg wp" is the tl;dr version.

Xonra

11-19-2012

Personally I would rather some one say well played than what I actually usually get which is " gg easy game " (from my team saying it to theirs or the other way around, it seems to be the more normal response) or simply "noobs".

I tend to have fun if I win or lose since it is....wait for it...
A game...
So if I think they still played well, even if they did get roflstomped most likely by just one person on our team, then I'll say it. If I don't, then I say gg, or I don't say anything at all cause there is no point in that case.

MaruFrozen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartlessXiao View Post
I don't do it personally. I normally just say "gg."

That said, you're definitely reading into it too much. You're assigning intent when there is none. It only upsets you because you let it upset you.
I don't personally do it either because in my mind it's an insult and I have no desire to insult them. I am not assigning intent, I'm porting my own logic into the situation. What possible reason could one have for telling the enemy team that the game was 'well played' when it was not? Is it because they mindless type in the letters 'gg' followed by 'wp' because for some reason they think it will make me happy?

What logic is there in that?

Not only that, but as I said before I noticed a surge of people adding the 'wp' in there after the honor thing came out, so forgive me if I don't trust people I have known less than an hour.

Brinzy

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbie View Post
it must take some innate insecurity to take "well played" as a patronising insult, even if you did play like ****. The fact that somebody saying "well played" causes you discomfort and insult should really trouble you.
But see, it doesn't because I spend the other 98% of my life not playing this game or taking part in any other competition with a meaningless result.

I really love how everytime I post on these forums, people try to psychologically break down what kind of person I am. It humors me because people respond to me as if this game and these forums mean something to me beyond that. My bad for posting a subject that apparently makes this community feel uncomfortable about how their facade of "sportsmanship" doesn't work on everyone.

But, it's not about acknowledging that a lot of you are fake - it's about scapegoating it to make me feel like I'm some bad guy for pointing out people overuse "wp."

Endertome

11-19-2012

There's a lot of situations where telling your opponent "Well played" after you beat them is considered being a good sport and is a compliment to the opponent's ability.

Evidently, eSports is not one of them.

Brinzy

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneColdSteve View Post
i think it's just that people aren't really up on their old school gaming etiquitte.

even way back in original starcraft days, "gg wp" was something the LOSER said to the WINNER. he's congratulating the winner on his well-played game. if the loser doesn't say anything ( perhaps from rage or w/e) then generally the winner would simply remain tastefully silent.

just blurting out "gg" when u are winning sometimes comes off as a jerk move, as it looks like you are just trying to get them to concede, or rubbing in the loss. saying "wp" when someone actually played horribly kinda goes into the same category. the 0/11 ad carry knows that they played really poorly, so cheerily telling them "well played!" is just rubbing salt in the wound and can likely be interpreted as sarcasm.

i don't personally have a problem with people saying this, but if it's coming from the winning team before anyone on the losing team says anything, and especially if the game was really one-sided, then it seems to me to be simply a habit that these summoners have to type it rather than any sort of attempt to actually say the game was good or that the losers played well.
So much logic in so much space! What a crime!

No but seriously, I am glad a few of you understand where I am coming from with this.

Xonra

11-19-2012

It's funny how much I've seen this argument recently about honor. I actually saw it more -before- the honor than after. I see " gg hf " or " good luck have fun " more before the game starts and less talking in general after. I've seen more wp in team chat but less of it to the other team.

I think the honor system has helped a little but it does seem people are just trying to suck up for honor and usually those people make it more obvious. I still don't agree with the OP on this subject as I don't see how this could be negative unless you want it to be.

Mishter Lux

11-19-2012

I don't always say wp. I only say wp if the enemy role that matches up with mine put up a sporting fight. If they didn't then I just say gg unless the other lanes did well enough that the game was actually close. Which never happens. Games are stomp or get stomped with very few actually good games in between.

Xonra

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinzy View Post
But see, it doesn't because I spend the other 98% of my life not playing this game or taking part in any other competition with a meaningless result.

I really love how everytime I post on these forums, people try to psychologically break down what kind of person I am. It humors me because people respond to me as if this game and these forums mean something to me beyond that. My bad for posting a subject that apparently makes this community feel uncomfortable about how their facade of "sportsmanship" doesn't work on everyone.

But, it's not about acknowledging that a lot of you are fake - it's about scapegoating it to make me feel like I'm some bad guy for pointing out people overuse "wp."
Your tone made it sound like you were initially bent out of shape, and now you are getting defensive. It doesn't take someone having to "psychologically break down what kind of person you are" to see that.