[Fan Art/ Skin Concept] Ice Priestess Ahri

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lady Ash

11-18-2012

This is a skin for Ahri: The Nine Tailed Fox I created called "Ice Priestess Ahri."

I haven't drawn in like 1 or 2 years it seems. So please any critique will be welcome.

Also, I realize that Ahri is a nine tailed fox, and I only have 8 drawn in the picture. Lets just call it artistic license. I felt a ninth tail just looked odd. lol.

http://firevixen.deviantart.com/art/...shed-338101696

So, I've already posted this once, in the player concept forum. However, I didn't really get any constructive comments, and instantly regretted it. So, please forgive for posting a second time. I should have posted it here to begin with. Thank you so much for your time.

Insharai

11-19-2012

Arctic Foxy ^.^ Ocd kick in there on the tail? I like it

Lady Ash

11-19-2012

Lol. Thank you, and you're right. The image is so symmetrical the way it is now. I just couldn't figure out where to place the ninth tail. ;p

Cotton Candy

11-19-2012

I love the shading on the tails *___* AND DEM HEELS OMG <3

Lady Ash

11-20-2012

I think Ahri needs a good skin with heels. If an ice themed skin ever made it into the game for Ahri, I'd just love to see all he ice particles around her tail. <3

Shockodile

11-21-2012

Constructive feedback? Yoooooou've got it!

(Huge post, whoops. Meant for OP but if you can benefit from it then AWESOME! 8D)

Things I think you did well:

Definitely like the coloring on the tails and her hair. You did quite a good job getting a nice gradient look for what appears to be colored pencils(?)! I am also fond of the fact that you used colored lines for the blue glyphs on her outfit.I like that the color palette is fairly consistent; the colors don't seem really randomly chosen. All the blues work together and pink is used enough to make it seem like it belongs.

Things I think could be improved upon:

Anatomy

Nobody's anatomy is perfect and nobody's anatomy ever will be perfect, but there is always room for improvement! Areas that draw my attention most are her arms, ears, face, hands, chest, and hips.

Her arms are slightly long for her torso. Your elbow typically reaches to the bottom or close to the bottom of your rib cage if your arms are slack, so her bicep is slightly elongated. After your elbow, your fingertips hang slightly below the bottom of your pelvis, so her forearms are a tad long as well. The way I learned to stop drawing long limbs was to actively remind myself to just lop a half inch or so off my guides when I wasn't sure.

For her ears, you could look at some photos of foxes/dogs/wolves to get a general idea of how they look. They S curve a lot and have rounded tips (which you drew!) and are generally very fluffy, especially at the base and inside.

A human face is arguably one of the most difficult things to draw -ever-, in my opinion. It has so many different planes and then those planes all differ from person to person. Someone could have big ears and tiny eyes or a huge nose and thin eyebrows or a pointed chin and ridiculous lips and the list goes on and on. That said, it'd probably help a lot to just draw some faces from photos! Never be afraid to reference! For this I would say her eyes are slightly big-looking, kinda gives it an anime tone.

Hands, well. Everyone has a GOOD TIME drawing hands and yours are rather good by comparison, but could still use work, especially the knuckle line. Again, my advice is look at some photos. :>

Chest and hips are tricky even for me, and especially with the ladies. Women are a lot curvier than men, a female human being's rib cage typically tapers a lot more towards the midriff. The hips should be a touch wider as ladies have a much wider pelvis than men as well. And of course, breasts. Breasts are literally sacks of fat that just kinda hang off of women's pectoral muscles, so they should probably be hanging more center and down than off to the sides. Plus that means cleavage and cleavage is great! Yeah!

Design

The palette combo of blue/white aside, nothing here really jumps out and screams "ICE" or "PRIESTESS" at me. She's got frost shards there, sure, but for something like a skin you can't really rely on effects that may or may not be always visible on the champion to get the idea across. Since Ahri is a fox, you could do something with arctic foxes, perhaps. Arctic foxes have short, fluffy ears and very thick fur coats to conserve heat. So I'd try playing off that; short fluffy ears, thick fur coat. Give her some wicked fluffy tails and a flowy coat. Play the coat to "Priestess" as well for a double win.

Things that strike me as particularly odd with the outfit are the strap-tassel hanging from her waist and the segment in her left pant leg. The tassel is okay but I would move the emblem with the flower up a bit more. In fact I'd move it almost up to the top, so that it's sort of a belt buckle looking thing, or a brooch of sorts.

The segment in the pant leg isn't something I'd put on an outfit meant to signify "Ice" or "Priestess". It'd make me cold, I think! Plus, that sort of detail isn't repeated anywhere else on the design, so it looks out of place. There are crossing strings on the corset, but as far as I can see there isn't a similar gap. You could make it more plausible by adding another one, either on the same leg lower down or on the other at the same level or nearer the bottom.

The ice shards you have drawn appear like they're cut like gems. If you want to take that approach you can always look up gem cuts (especially diamonds, diamonds get some real nice cuts) as reference. For a more natural sort of look, you could look up shards of shale for reference.

Okay I think that's all I've got ahaha whew this got awfully wordy. Sorry if it's way too much :'D I just really like writing critiques because it helps me improve at seeing the flaws in my own work! A very good exercise. I hope it helps you!

(873 words not including this sentence. whoops.)

Nepolian

11-21-2012

I like it ^^

Lady Ash

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorbane View Post
Constructive feedback? Yoooooou've got it!

Thank you so much for the comment. It does really help when people point things like this out. Especially for someone like me, who hasn't drawn in about 1.5+ years (not too bad for someone so rusty).

You are right. I use physical media. I use prismacolor coloring pencils to color my art. Unless I'm in a water color mood. I never learned how to use computers. I also started out drawing anime, which is why my art has that feel. I'm in a weird middle ground. My style seems part anime, part american comics or something. Also this is the website/image I used for reference for the anatomy (not the arms. That's my doing).

http://www.posemaniacs.com/archives/1412

I think you're right. She doesn't really have that priestess feel in hind sight. I literally went through about 6 concept drawings before I fell in love with it, and Ice Priestess was the only title I could think of. lol. I'm thinking about doing a revision. I'll post it if I do.

Thank you so much for your comments again. They are very helpful. <3

finister

12-21-2012

I want arctic ahri fox so badly

LovelessAngels

12-22-2012

I like the skin idea and it would be nice to see you redo this piece of art again if you had the time or would even want to but all and all I like it