Varus overall discussion and R/Ultimate review

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gawain Galantine

Recruiter

08-06-2012

I've been playing and getting to know the ins and outs of Varus, and I'd like to get a healthy discussion going about this champion. As far as champions go, Varus is easily my favorite, as his lore is interesting, and his playstyle suits me quite well. However, i've been noticing one giant flaw in his make-up. His ultimate, Chain of Corruption, seems to be vastly underpowered, in both damage and crowd control capability. The spread-effect that is the calling card of his so called 'Ult' doesn't function almost at all, as it's spreading tendrils effect that latches onto nearby enemy champions seems to fail over 50% of the time. Now in light of this, i've found, as most people have, his Q is quite powerful, even early game at rank 1. The harass your capable of is very potent if your accustomed to skill shots, i.e. Ezreal.
Defining the character's moves, however, is his passive skill Blighted Quiver. After playing through so many matches with Varus, I can say flat out that AP/On hit Varus is FAR superior to AD Varus on so many levels. While attack speed seems to be the common ground between the two, his Blighted Quiver seems to be what infuriates my opponents the most. Varus damage output is only slightly underpowered in my own opinion, but it's nothing a little skill can't fight through. A well placed Hail of Arrows after even 1 Blighted Quiver stack can tear through enemys early game as you fight to Level 6, and if paired with Singed, Varus can almost always get first blood, at least in my experience.

Since Varus is an awesome carry, it's really aggravating to know that characters like Ashe and Caitlynn are so much more preferred. His character design is cooler, his playstyle is very flexible, and he is a terror when fed early. So in retrospect, the only thing I can think of that keep people from picking him is... (drum roll please...)

His ultimate is severely underpowered in terms of it's crowd control potential. The damage output, okay, that's fine. The snare is awesome when initiating. But the real threat of his ult, the team fight spreading factor, is basically non-existant. I suggest a reworking of his ult, if not for a change in the annoying meta that is Ashe, Corki and Caitlynn recently, but for the character to be seriously considered in all aspects of the game.

As for the rework... i've heard many things from my friends who watch me, as well as what I read from time to time from Summoners all around the internet, Might I suggest a slow for those being targeted by the spreading tendrils, to at least give them the chance to spread, and a serious testing on how the ult can truly 'grab' more then one enemy, instead of them taking one step away and waltzing on past, even though they should be snared.

This is all my own opinion, mind you, but take it with a grain of salt. Riot, I love this champion, and I want to know that you can hear me! If nothing else, I'd like someone to explain to me why he DOESN'T need a ult rework, if that's what you think.

(edit: Oh yeah, on a side note, I'm not sure about the numerical values of the top of my head, but I swear, building some ap makes his W a monster ability. Especially since it splits his damage between ad and ap, you'll always get your damage in with his attack speed.)

ProfDrDeath

08-06-2012

Caitlyn recently? Must have been free week

Good points overall. I also like to play him some (buy him shortly after his release, simply because I like the way he works, and the fact that he finally made me use smartcast).

That being said, I think he could use some tweaks:

The ulti is pretty good for the single-target lockdown and for combination with other AoE CCs (Sona Ult => Varus Ult, for example). However, when he uses it on his own, the spread speed is simply to slow for my liking...Maybe increase that by 20-25%?

Other than that, I feel his Q, the trademark arrow, could use a shorter cooldown if he fires it instantly (without charging) to proc Blight on an enemy he is in close combat with.

AvariceSyn

08-06-2012

I like the idea of a shorter cooldown on the arrow based on charge time, honestly.

When I play Varus, however, I'm typically trying to lock down a specific target rather than worrying if their whole team is going to going to get caught up in the snare. If they do, cool, if not, I still just brutalized their AP/AD carry and all they're left with are the support and tanks.

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-06-2012

I build like 1 AD item on Varus, Infinity Edge. All the rest is hybrid, AP or on-hit focused.

And I'm glad to see some more people who think Varus is an absolute monster when played right. The insane amount of control you get with your Q and E range, the absolute shredding power of his W...

And the slightly weaker feeling ultimate that, despite a high chance to miss, is underwhelming.

Good post. +1

Angwe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-06-2012

I don't think his ult is spreading if the currently effected target gets killed. Change that and make it so that when his W stacks get maxed, it starts dealing 1 stack worth of damage each hit and hes gold.

JustMyBassCannon

08-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullVZTZ View Post
I don't think his ult is spreading if the currently effected target gets killed. Change that and make it so that when his W stacks get maxed, it starts dealing 1 stack worth of damage each hit and hes gold.
I don't like that idea. It would just make Varus into another cookie-cutter RADC. After 3 hits, starts dealing %HP damage (and Kog'maw level damage at that), once they get out of range, spell for 3 hits worth...

I like the alternating between skills and attacks.

Chaz5

08-06-2012

Varus' is a great character I have never been a situation where my team would have preferred and ashe or caitlyn over my sniper shots of doom.

I think his ult is fine, it may end up in the realm of OP if it did damage, slowed, AND snared enemies. I have stopped plenty of teams in their tracks with his ult so I really don't see the problem.

Ashe? Mostly single target ult that does moderate damage with a stun
Caitlyn? Blockable sniper shot

Varus? Team Lockdown, moderate AOE damage, excellent for initiation or escapes

Ricky Sexbang

08-06-2012

mmm Maybe increased the speed and range of the spreading so it can grab at least 2 enemies and as it spread the speed decrease so it wont be too OP i have no idea what the current numbers are but as far as damage i think its actually quite good if you stacked blight before using it

DreamsOfGrandeur

08-06-2012

I personally think that Varus' R is just too low-range and the animation/projectile is underwhelming.

1. His Q can shoot farther then his R. This feels lame, especially for first-timers who spend level1~5 firing max range arrows, and then find out his R has shorter range.

2. The projectile / animation looks like a thin weak floppy tentacle when its suppose to be a stun.
It curves a lot depict the actual ability being straight.

All these inconsistencies make it feel stupid.

Overlord Heian

08-06-2012

His E is better than his Q. And yes, his ult is mostly broken, it has had its moments, but all in all it's just an overblown bind.

Also, he throws his ult. He has a bow. Meanwhile, throwing ult.

Bow.

Throwing ult.

Archer throwing stuff. Awesome.