Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Feedback] I don't quite understand the place of the Distortion boot enchantment.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Warkeiser

11-18-2012

This is something that struck me as odd when I looked at Distortion in comparison to all other boot enchantments.

For those unaware, this is the effect of Distortion:

Quote:
Enchantment: Distortion
Enchants these boots to have the Distortion power.

Unique Passive - Distortion: Your Teleport, Flash, and Ghost summoner spell cooldowns are reduced by 25%.

On the surface, this appears to be fantastic. Your spells are up quicker, so you can use them more often. Except, how often are you burning Flash/Ghost/Teleport as soon as it comes up? Not very often, in my experience. And even if they were up quicker, you likely wouldn't need to use them until after they'd be up without Distortion.

In other words, this enchantment is a rather large waste of gold any time you are keeping your summoners at the ready. And if you expect you're going to need flash/ghost/teleport up quicker, surely it would be a more reasonable purchase to take Alacrity/Homeguard/Furor for whatever your needs may be and simply save your summoners for the necessary situations.

While the situational bonuses of the other boots (Captain/Furor/Homeguard) fall into the same boat of not being constantly active, there are two major differences between these and Distortion's effects:
  1. The effects of Captain, Furor, and Homeguard are used significantly more often than those of Distortion.
  2. The effects of Captain, Furor, and Homeguard are usually completely in the control of the player while the effects of Distortion lie within the actions of your enemy forcing your hand. You can often predict and coordinate when you will be attacking and moving, or when you will be going back, or even when your team and minions need to move quicker. You cannot predict and coordinate when you will need to pop a flash or ghost or teleport.

I just don't see much of a reason to take Distortion at all. Even Captain has it's place in split pushing and teamfight engagement; Distortion seems like a wasted slot. If Distortion gave bonuses other than cooldown reduction to Flash/Ghost/Teleport, then they'd be much better but then everyone would use them because they buff Flash.

Arbaal

11-18-2012

good on skarner for flash ulty, thats just once case

AIDIKM

11-18-2012

Good players will take note of your Flashes, Ghosts, and their cooldowns. Having them up 25% faster means less time you have to play passive while they're down

Also, if you have the 10% in your masteries, you can take the 300s CD Teleport down to 203s. That's a lot of Teleports in a single game. =/

I think it most certainly has a place in the game, but only a few players might find it all that useful.

Baculus

Recruiter

11-18-2012

Between the masteries and boots, flash goes down to a 197 sec cooldown(from 300), ghost goes even lower. That's fantasticlaly amazing on a champion with no escapes.

But the other boot options are just as good if your champ doesn't need flash so they're hardly OP.

jjsmitty

11-18-2012

This isn't entirely true. Part of your playstyle should revolve around what summoners you have available to you. For instance, if I'm running flash or ghost and I know that they're on CD, I'm going to play more reserved but if I know they are up and ready to use, I will be a little more aggressive because those summoners will allow me escapability.

On another note, having flash up more often allows you to pull off flash ability combos more often like a flash skarner ult, or a flash darius pull.

Overall, it's worth the money in my opinion because my playstyle will change based upon what summoners I have up currently.