Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Tips and tricks?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Voac

11-18-2012

I started playing yesterday after having played World of Warcraft for 4 and 1/2 years and am having a bit of trouble with the Champion mechanics..

I understand the basics to the game such as objectives and Champion abilities but I'm having a hard time when it comes to finishing out games and fighting opposing Champions.

If anyone has some tips or wants to help that would be greatly appreciated.. I have Ventrilo, Skype, and Mumble if that would make it easier for some people to communicate.

Thanks!

BawksUvAydes

11-18-2012

There are a couple main things to consider in the late game:

1. Items/Levels. Has your team been losing? Is someone on their team very fed or farmed? Are the enemy champs higher level than yours? If you answered yes to some of these, you may want to avoid fights that aren't in your favor. Don't risk venturing too deep into enemy territory, unless you're grouped up and sure you can overpower any enemies you encounter. Also be careful not to fight 5v5 on their terms or even in a just normal fight, since you'll probably lose. Your goal when behind is to initiate the fight better than them or catch them out of position, because you'll lose otherwise. If you're ahead, try to force those big fights, since you'll win (because your team is stronger).

2. Know where your team's strength lies. If you've got Garen, Pantheon, and Ryze on your team, you are incredibly strong early game. But as the game goes on, your team becomes weaker because these characters don't scale into the late game. Make sure you give yourself an advantage early or you'll find yourself in trouble later when they're getting stronger and you really aren't. If you've got very strong late-game characters, avoid fights and just farm until you become strong.

3. Winning lanes is important. If you can get kills or at least outfarm your opponent, you'll be ahead later when the big fights happen. You don't HAVE to kill them or even force them back to base. If you can just keep them from getting near the creeps to farm, and you end up with 150 creep kills to their 75 and no kills/deaths for either of you, you just put yourself 75 creep kills ahead, which is enough for a mid-range item or a few smaller ones. That item(s) could mean the difference between winning and losing a fight later.

4. WARDS. They're 75 gold, last 3 minutes, and can see a gank coming a mile away, or let you know that the enemy is going for objectives. These are crucial, and can win games for you or at the very least prevent them from going the wrong way.

5. Focusing in fights. This is THE most important late-game tip. If they have 4 characters that have 3000 hp and tons of Armor/MagicResist but also do no damage, and one character with 1500hp no resists and does tons of damage, you should obviously be killing their damage dealer. Make sure your team knows this. If you know a big fight is about to break out and your whole team just dumps damage onto the closest thing, you're going to have a bad time. Make sure you kill the priority targets first, then clean up the tanky guys that don't do much besides soak damage.

6. Know what to do when a fight is won. You just killed 3 people for none of your own? Great! Go push down towers, take an inhibitor, kill Baron and Dragon. Do NOT farm your own jungle, just go back to base (unless very low, and even then it's questionable), clear one creep wave in a lane then leave it, or wander around aimlessly. If they're dead, it's the perfect time to take advantage of map control. Steal their buffs and put yourself ahead, do things that you can't do while they're alive, just don't waste it! Remember that the later into the game you are, the longer it takes for them to respawn, so winning fights past 40 mins into the game should give you a huge advantage IF you take advantage of it.

Good luck!

jlmoss

11-18-2012

Best tip I've learned so far as a level 11...

Play defensively by farming the enemy minions near your turret. Focus on last hitting them to keep the gold. If you have an experienced lane partner, latch on to him/her, help out as much as possible, and learn the game of LoL.

CowMeat

11-19-2012

Before game, look at the enemy champions and their summoner spells. Reflect on what you know about them. Try to predict which enemy champions will go where, who your lane opponent will be, and who the enemy jungler is.

Buy wards and place them where the enemy might come from.

Don't get mad at your teammates. Encourage your teammates.

If you die, think about why you did. Try to not put yourself in the same situation. Look at the death re-cap to see what type of damage you took and consider building a corresponding defensive item.

At the end of the game congratulate the enemy and your team. Look at the builds of players who did well and ask questions.

If you lost think about what you could do better. If you won, keep doing what you are doing well.

Kill the enemy towers and win game.

ShadyGrave

11-19-2012

Jax, Kat, Lee Sin, can all use moves to jump to wards. What this allows is putting wards over walls to escape and such. Little trick.

Wriggles lantern gives you a free ward every 3 minutes.

You can teleport to wards.

Wards spot ganks.

Wards are your best friend.

This has been a public announcement for wards.

jlmoss

11-19-2012

Yeah, I've seen lots of talk about wards. I'm guessing I'll have to step up and start trying out wards myself.

Fs Son0fSilas

11-19-2012

^ try to be aware of how much your next purchase will be. If you can, try to go b with enough to buy your items + the 75-225g to get 1-3 wards.

Riyshn

11-19-2012

Another thing to think about if you're on the edge about buying wards. 4 wards will put you 'behind' (if you chose to see it that way) by 300 gold, and provide 12 minutes to sight to give you early warning of any ganks. Getting killed in a gank means you just gave an enemy that same 300 gold plus whatever assists happened, and they have freefarm in the lane for a minute or two while you revive and run back.

And concerning learning champion mechanics, take advantage of the free rotation. Play at least one game with each champion, even if its just a single bot game, to learn how thier skills work.

IS134793e5f3c35e84c7d25

11-19-2012

Time is all you need, when you start you may need to write builds down, but later on you become so familiar with the items, you don't need to do this and can create your own builds to suit your playstyle on what it is you want to do in game.

Facing enemy champions just takes time too, first time you see a champion you won't know what to expect, but after facing them enough you can manipulate their weakness's.

I recommend going to LOL wiki for specifics on champion's stats, the in-game descriptions are pretty vague, but the in-game videos of the moves are really helpful for looking at someone you don't understand, helps you understand it more than a text could.

Beware that spending time to get familiar with this stuff, may make you get behind in school, work, relationships, fitness. Proceed with caution, WOW was the same in this regard so I am sure you'll be fine if you could with stand WOW.

CounterSnipe

11-19-2012

This is for the super future:
If you hold down ~ your cursor will ignore minions and only target champions. This is an excellent thing to learn once you get to a competitive level because you wont ever make the mistake of AAing or using an ability on a minion.