Akali advice

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

jjnn89

11-18-2012

Hey guys so Im starting to pick up Akali again since no one plays her anymore. I used to play Kassadin but I feel I can carry harder with Akali and Im less reliant on blue. Ive been practicing in normals and have been pub stomping amazingly. I just want to know is there any tips I should know with her. I know this is very general but Im just trying find the little tips that makes a great akali player like Westrice.

Thank you

Fifth Scheme

11-18-2012

I play Akali about as much as I play Katarina - Great low ELO champs.
Things off the top of my head that you may already know ;

1.Use shroud on your target and then dash into it.

2.Use shroud to overlap with brush when available- obfuscating your directional intent.

3.When laning, make sure enemy minions are present for an easy escape, they will not target you through your shroud. I will often tower dive and use the extra dash on a minion to evade tower shots. Another juke - when you are trading with your lane opponent and their jungler comes out to gank you, walk in the opposite direction of the enemy minions and then dash back. This will put a lot of space between you and the enemy. Very useful when you are laning top - more so than mid.

4. Abuse your auto-attack reset skills.

5. On a similar note, space out your abilities so you don't blow all your energy in one combo. For me, I have an internal metronome, probably 1 sec apart, on how I use skills. Because your R is such a powerful gap closer, you can afford to take time to whittle your target down. This also makes better use of your shroud. Sometimes you'll need to blow it all at once, but I prefer the slower approach to always make sure I can use my R.

jjnn89

11-18-2012

Wow great advice, the perfect answers I needed. Number 3 I haven't fully mastered so I will work on that.Number 5 I just recently corrected. I had a bad habit of spamming all my skills. Could you go in to more details on Number 4?

Also when playing top Akali should I change my runes or keep it to the general setup

Fifth Scheme

11-18-2012

Your Q resets your auto attack animation so you can auto attack, Q, then attack again in shorter time then it would take to get 2 auto attacks off normally. This really helps with damage output. I'm not sure about the other skills for sure - E and R. However, what I usually do to engage is W to shroud the spot I'm going, R to engage, auto attack, Q, autoattack, E, then whatever happens next - R to catch up, or Q, autoattack again.

For runes I use the standard Westrice guide set up to activate lifesteal (aka flat AD runes) at level 1, however I swap out all Flat AP for Scaling AP runes - thus Scaling AP blues and Quints. My other passive (bonus damage) then activates at level 3. The reason I do this is because I generally don't harass much before level 6 anyways, let alone before I have all 3 of my skills before level 3. I don't see the reason to waste flat AP runes when you get a much better return from Scaling AP. They even out at level 3-6 anyways and then provide much better returns for mid-game power around level 9-15, which you totally miss out on if you go flat AP.

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/30862577#runes - my runes.

Good luck! Akali is so much fun, I'm sad that more people don't play her.

BlackSparkz

11-18-2012

Even though I'm not the OP, can anyone help me/us with top akali? (I main top)

Tarrmayy x

11-18-2012

with top akali , try and zone by using the bush and throwing q's then when u think its safe run up and do the e and run back to the bush or shroud.

BlackSparkz

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrmayy x View Post
with top akali , try and zone by using the bush and throwing q's then when u think its safe run up and do the e and run back to the bush or shroud.
I know this, but compared to tanky(-ish) bruisers, I get harrased too much. are there other tips you can give me?

Fifth Scheme

11-18-2012

There are a lot of cases that Akali is sub-optimal in top lane. Against tanky bruisers, you are going to play the farm game - use shroud to get in close when needed. But otherwise, you're out of luck. Farm until you can roam, ask for ganks. I only choose Akali top against weaker tops or squishies.

Xcelerator

11-18-2012

If you're up against a bruiser like Singed, Garen, Darius, etc., the best thing for you do to is stay FAR away from them. Don't let them come close to you at all. Farm up as much money as you can and buy a revolver. After that, depending on how much you harass them and how much MR they have, you can win the lane easily. Don't just jump on to a full health Singed and expect to do a lot of damage from your standard combo. Harass with Q first, and when they hit about 75%-50% health start harassing with R. You should be able to secure an easy kill. When you harass with R, don't fully commit to trying to kill. Do one combo then immediately back off.

One more thing that would really help a lot: If you completely ignore leveling E and just level your Q and W, you start to get a much bigger advantage than if you were to grab E. The only thing E should be used for is farming, and you don't want to push the lane during laning phase. It also eats a ton of energy. This is a great strategy that I always use no matter who I lane against. PS: A lot of people don't realize that your shroud gives you a LOT of MR and Armor.

EDIT: I've found that while laning against squishy mids with a poor early game especially, that it's very easy to grab a first blood (depending on their skill level). You can start harassing immediately. When you hit level 2 or 3, throw your Q at them, and WAIT a few seconds, use your shroud to get close to them and proc your Q. If it works correctly, they either: 1. Run away, or 2. Stay and try to fight you. In the first situation just throw another Q at them and repeat. In the second one, wait for your Q again and use it. Don't proc it, but wait for the CD again. When it's up, proc your Q and use another Q combo afterwords (+ignite) this should kill your target. If you need to, use a Flash as your R to secure the kill.

What specific bruisers do you have trouble with? Would be easier to give more info.

jjnn89

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfvxfve View Post
Your Q resets your auto attack animation so you can auto attack, Q, then attack again in shorter time then it would take to get 2 auto attacks off normally. This really helps with damage output. I'm not sure about the other skills for sure - E and R. However, what I usually do to engage is W to shroud the spot I'm going, R to engage, auto attack, Q, autoattack, E, then whatever happens next - R to catch up, or Q, autoattack again.

For runes I use the standard Westrice guide set up to activate lifesteal (aka flat AD runes) at level 1, however I swap out all Flat AP for Scaling AP runes - thus Scaling AP blues and Quints. My other passive (bonus damage) then activates at level 3. The reason I do this is because I generally don't harass much before level 6 anyways, let alone before I have all 3 of my skills before level 3. I don't see the reason to waste flat AP runes when you get a much better return from Scaling AP. They even out at level 3-6 anyways and then provide much better returns for mid-game power around level 9-15, which you totally miss out on if you go flat AP.

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/30862577#runes - my runes.

Good luck! Akali is so much fun, I'm sad that more people don't play her.
Thanks I'm giving your runes setup a try just need 2 more quint's and its been awhile since westrice has updated that guide is the build current? Played 2 ranked games dominated early game at 6,maintained top farm, started feeding a bit but we got the win on game 1. Game 2 same except fed xin and ez with sona oracle and fell off too quick and lost.