Riot: Let us queue in 5v5 solo by the meta roles

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Seaux

11-18-2012

I know you've said that you don't want to have a meta, but in solo queue, it's pretty accepted as most other strategies require more or better communication than solo queue can provide. Even though it has been done and worked several times. Not to mention, it seems you release champions, items, and patches that even further solidify the meta.

I believe this could/would solve many frustrations with queuing and having to fight for a role. As well as give players the role they want to play (which after all is a big part of a good game -- begin free to play what/how you want to play).

EnvisageX

11-18-2012

This is something that has been discussed for a while now. No clue why they wont implement it. Scroll down the page and you'll see my post. Flip a few pages and you'll see one of these on about every page. It is needed.

As I said in my last post if people dont want to pick roles or a meta then just leave it blank and pair those people because I have rarely seen a game where people don't enter champ select and start calling roles no matter what pick they are.

sylReverie

11-18-2012

I'm tired of seeing this - queue timers would be far too long due to the lack of support and jungle players queueing up. It's not going to happen. Just play blind pick.

Seaux

11-18-2012

@ShiningLight: I disagree, it worked well with WoW

Seaux

11-18-2012

@ShiningLight: as WoW discovered, people will play healing classes if they are fun and want to just be in an instance/game. Same will happen. Many don't mind support and would play it if it means they game faster.

Amatzikahni

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaux View Post
@ShiningLight: I disagree, it worked well with WoW
It worked well in a game that had a designated Tank, a designated Healer, and three designated DPS who had predefined roles in every circumstance. This is not WoW. By your logic, Arenas should also be by role and every team should be required to have exactly one Tank, one Healer, and three DPS. Wait, PvP doesn't have this feature? I wonder why....

EnvisageX

11-18-2012

Honestly it would work fine... A lot of people play supports... A system like this would allow people to que up and play seriously regardless of whatever argument someone in every game is expected to play support. I don't mind playing whatever the team needs. Its the point there is a META the game has evolved into that so its time to evolve the matching making system to suit current needs.

Lets get rid of this third grade class room arguing over what color crayon we called... and match people based on what they feel they are best at and can handle and that will allow personal ELO to reflect even more.

I personally would rather wait 3 to 10 minutes and find a well suited game, which I doubt wait times would be that long, then play a game where if someone doesn't get their role its a waste of 20 to 60 mins, or a dodge wait of 30.

Seaux

11-19-2012

@Amatzikahni If i'm not mistaken PvP (specifically Arena) was teams only, so there is a comparative solo queue PvP system in WoW. Thus why I was referencing their instance queue.

Also, in arena, you didn't really have to worry about roles like adc, apc, jungler. The setup was almost that literally in combination could/would work. Its just not so much the case here.

sylReverie

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaux View Post
@ShiningLight: as WoW discovered, people will play healing classes if they are fun and want to just be in an instance/game. Same will happen. Many don't mind support and would play it if it means they game faster.
Are you serious? How many games do you queue up and have somebody say "Support please"? In contrast, how many games do you queue up and have somebody say "Mid please"? I wouldn't be surprised if the people queueing for mid outnumbered people queueing for support 10-1 or more. Although maybe matchmaking could have 10 happy groups of players in a game, what about the other 100 groups of players still waiting in the queue? Queue timers would shoot up past 20 seconds to more than an hour for anybody not queueing for support.

WoW is a completely different game from LoL, that's like arguing "red apples are the best, therefore oranges should also be red". It is well known that support is the least desired role on a 5v5 team. When you queue for draft pick you acknowledge there will be a pick order. If you don't get the role you desire, deal with it - either play it or dodge.

Lastly, Riot does NOT want to show bias towards the current meta by making people queue up for roles in the current meta - that would reduce creativity in players and any theorycrafting due to players being forced into the meta every single game they played; which means about 1/10 of players total that were able to get into a game in the first place

Why do you try to argue "just as many people will queue for support if they can find a game faster" when games are already found extremely fast? This whole argument doesn't even include low levels who don't have an understanding of the meta and people trying to get out of "elo hell" who would only queue up for carry roles. There's no point trying to argue for this to happen, because it won't.

EnvisageX

11-19-2012

Wow is not good to compare to.

People do not go by pick order. If that worked even for a second it would be great. But it doesn't especially down at low elo's. Last season I played ranked very very late in the season 14 straight losses due to stupid things. This season a bit better but not much.

Again improving the match making system is a good thing and I highly doubt it will hinder the game unplayable. Some people might even take up supporting.

All this garbage about RIOT not wanting to force the meta is ****. Name one game that isn't a ARAM where the META isn't at least built around?

How many games have 2 people bot? The other one even touches a minion GET OFF MY FARM is typed over and over.

Now if people want to play in these types of games where there is fighting, leave the checkboxes for the roles/lanes you want to play blank. Pair them with other people who feel the same way.

Low levels? people that are low levels can't play ranked. So thats a non issue.

Lastly the game is what is. Again find me a game where people dont come in calling lanes. Or someone acts like a baby when they dont get their way and ruins a game, wastes 20 to 60 mins, or you get a nice fat dodge timer. When you could have que'd waited 3 to 5 mins and be happy. I highly doubt the wait time would even be that excessive. I think 3 mins at low ELO's is being generous. I think timers would still run 30 seconds.

In my games i get people who say support often. Thats not the problem having enough people to play support. The problem is the 3 jerks calling top. But by shining's logic these guys shouldn't be forced into playing meta. Therefore they shouldn't even be calling top. Hmm interesting.