Riot: I'm leaving because of your elo system

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Excrempus

11-19-2012

In the words of CLG Froggen Anivia>All

TheRynodawg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-19-2012

"but that's trying to objectify something very clearly subjective and therefore Utopian at best."

holy **** your a ******.

But my only advice is you gotta just deal with it. It's part of it. It sucks ass but all you can do is try to carry as much as u can.

rtytuyi

11-21-2012

Honestly, play with a duo partner until you get to a comfortable elo, even then, keep duoing, I know im low elo, but my friend and I have been duoing, and we have gone 7-1, lost one because an irelia thought it would be cool to not only got 0-8 against Darius, but to also rush rabadons. then after that we won 7 in a row... and now i'm 1372, and we plan on keep going.
http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/20905820

regardless of how bad your team might be doing, just remember, the enemy team probably are in the same situation, you just don't know it, so take advantage of that.

DizzyJ22

11-21-2012

They need to rework the elo system based on performance, not whether you won or lost the luck of the draw with team mates...

Selcopa

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaux View Post
TooBeastly, just had a leaver in a game. I lose 40 elo because our top left. How is that my mistake that I can review and correct?
Are you implying that you made no mistakes in that game? Because I bet you did.

You are falling prey to the idea that because someone did worse than you. That you did nothing wrong. However there is a possibility that a better player could have won that game 4v5. You claim it wouldn't have made a difference if you fixed your mistakes. So why d Dont you post a replay so we can at least see. Maybe you don't win even if you cleaned up those mistakes. But there will be a future game and because you already cleaned up those mistakes and won't make them again. You will win the game when before you would have lost the game.

And no you don't have to get carried to get to 1500+. I was as low as 1100. I've seen players even lower hit plat. You just have to work at it

Seaux

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selcopa View Post
Are you implying that you made no mistakes in that game? Because I bet you did.

You are falling prey to the idea that because someone did worse than you. That you did nothing wrong. However there is a possibility that a better player could have won that game 4v5. You claim it wouldn't have made a difference if you fixed your mistakes. So why d Dont you post a replay so we can at least see. Maybe you don't win even if you cleaned up those mistakes. But there will be a future game and because you already cleaned up those mistakes and won't make them again. You will win the game when before you would have lost the game.

And no you don't have to get carried to get to 1500+. I was as low as 1100. I've seen players even lower hit plat. You just have to work at it
First off, I do watch a lot of my replays to try to get better because that's a big goal of mine (to get awesome at the game). And I catch a lot of mistakes. Especially when I play tristana lol I try to be as responsible and introspective as possible, but there is a limit. There is some line where managing the win/loss is just straight up out of my control.

I'll try to find the replay when I get back to my PC, but the game was pretty retarded. Our mid lost her lane was well because our top left so early in the game I think after giving up 2 kills. She was a kata against a karthus, so karthus got fed and then it just spiraled down hill.
edit: was thinking of another top leaver game when I played Trist. The anivia game I don't remember too well. This thread has lasted a few days and I'm getting things mixed up.

I'm not saying that I didn't make mistakes, I do feel though that had I corrected those mistakes it still wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game. I won my lane, was up on kills, cs, took the tower, but when it came down to it it didn't matter that I was stronger/strongest because I couldn't single-handedly survive/fight their damage/cc. Our team didn't have near the cc they did so we couldn't team fight 4v5 or split push (because they'd just easily handle the tower and 3 teammates).

I shouldn't have to play flawlessly to not lose elo because I was severely disadvantaged from something out of my control. If my skill level is 1500 and I'm playing in a 1300 I shouldn't have to become a 2000+ skill level just to not lose elo at the 1300 level.

I don't understand why you're fighting against this? This is an obvious flaw in the elo system.

Seaux

11-21-2012

As a side note, I'm mostly a casual gamer of this at the moment, but I also pulled myself from 1100 to 1450 last season. I just didn't want to have to do it again this season because its extremely frustrating. I was hoping to be over that hump and have better luck (which seems to be the major contributor in your chances of gaining elo).

I should find a good duo partner though. That seems like pretty much the best way to help mitigate the chances of issues like this from happening again.

Selcopa

11-21-2012

You are too focused on the micro aspect of elo. And you need to look at your rating from a 100 game block or more.

Perhaps that game was unwinnable, that happens it's unfortunate but it happens. The point of correcting those mistakes isn't to win the game you recently lost, its to win the next game you play.

The 4v5 is unfortunate. But it happens. From my 1700+ ranked game experience. I can tell you that not only will they balance out evenly. But if you don't dc you will actually be in 5v4 situations more often than the reverse. Overall the situation is unfortunate but it's a minimal aspect of the system, especially when it's compared to your skill and overall potential.

As far as the statement "I shouldn't have to play like a 2k to not lose elo at 1300" again this is a micro viewpoint. The point I was making is that the game IS possible to win. You just weren't good enough. So clearly now there are a lot of things you could improve on. And enough that you could have won.

Second. I understand the frustration of having to play like a 2k to beat 1300. But that is in a tiny fringe edge of the games to be won. This is why a 2k player rises faster in elo than a 1600. Both will dominate games at low elo. But the 2k will win games that that 1600 won't. Likewise. In that one case you might have to play at a 2k level to win THAT game. But if you consistently play at a 1500 level. You will get there just fine. Not as fast as a 1700 player. But you will move up fine

The problem is not the system. I understand that this is important to your narrative. But the sooner you accept that the system accurately portrays skill over a period of time. The sooner you will seriously try to get better