Riot: I'm leaving because of your elo system

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Seaux

11-18-2012

I've been playing the game basically since inception and I was also an original DotA player since 2003 (I played DotA before Allstars was out). But I'm so frustrated with LoL particularly because I'm tired of losing ranked games and dropping elo at very little fault of my own.

I haven't done much thinking on this, but there has to be a solution to this problem. Of course there would ideally be some way to judge based on performance or statistics, but that's trying to objectify something very clearly subjective and therefore Utopian at best.

But it could be even as simple as allowing players to vote up/down a player based on their performance to adjust elo. You're basically already there with the honorable opponent honor system. An example being, if the other team thought one person clearly threw the game, they could vote that person down and possibly lessen the others' elo loss as well. Or the opposite, if an enemy clearly was a good player and shouldn't deserve an elo loss, voting could help mitigate a necessary punishment.

In any case, it's frustrating to lose elo when there wasn't much else you could have done. It's causing enough frustration since I'm trying to be a competitive solo queue-r, that I'm not only to look for other games, but buying less in LoL as I no longer see it as a worthy investment.

TooBeastIy

Recruiter

11-18-2012

first up admit ur bad second record ur games and look for your mistakes and fix them and then see if u still loose as much. I did this and carried myself from 900s up to 1300 by end of season 2. and i admit i still make tons of mistakes

Seaux

11-18-2012

I already do this and I'm not talking about the games where i know i made mistakes. I'm talking about the last game when my support janna fed graves 7 kills and i went 4/0 in the laning phase and went 6/2 overall when the next highest person was 2/9 on my team.

TooBeastIy

Recruiter

11-18-2012

so dont make those mistakes you'll win more then u loose and also soloq is pretty fked up right now so i wouldnt reccomend playing it right now

Seaux

11-18-2012

TooBeastly, just had a leaver in a game. I lose 40 elo because our top left. How is that my mistake that I can review and correct?

Amatzikahni

11-18-2012

Keep playing. The enemies will get more leavers than you in the long haul (assuming you never leave/DC), so that's more free Elo in your favor than against you.

Akira Kid41

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooBeastIy View Post
first up admit ur bad second record ur games and look for your mistakes and fix them and then see if u still loose as much. I did this and carried myself from 900s up to 1300 by end of season 2. and i admit i still make tons of mistakes
Reaching 1300 is nothing to gloat about...
Im pretty sure the O.P. is referring to the 1500+ rating. It is impossible to reach w/o being carried from a previous season.

From my first ten games I noticed that my first five I was matched with players of similar skill to my own - all competent and aware of how to best work through the meta of the game. After eight games with a respectful score of 6 - 2 I then found myself at the top of my team's elo with the rest below me being utter garbage, obviously having no idea about the games meta. Top is constantly pushed to and camping the opponent's tower, mid lane apc never landed a single skillshot stun, adc bot lane is dying more than I'm able to routinely gank, and support is four kills up on our adc and still feels the need to put that gold towards multiple gold tick items....
That was my reward for positive performance? The elo actually matched me to team with lower caliber players as I rose through it?
The elo system simply does not provide a gratifying experience for solo players. Riot likes this idea of matching teams consisting of a broad range of elo. Which from my experience leaves the outcome of games not to pro-actively played decisions but to the greater of poor decisions made by both teams. Solo queue really is a shot in the dark.

Call Me Rod

11-19-2012

stop playing anivia ezpz

Seaux

11-19-2012

Naustyy, how is your comment in any way intelligent, effective, or relative. The champion I chose to play has literally no effect on losing elo when teammates leave/afk in a game.

TooBeastIy

Recruiter

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machii View Post
Reaching 1300 is nothing to gloat about...
Im pretty sure the O.P. is referring to the 1500+ rating. It is impossible to reach w/o being carried from a previous season.

From my first ten games I noticed that my first five I was matched with players of similar skill to my own - all competent and aware of how to best work through the meta of the game. After eight games with a respectful score of 6 - 2 I then found myself at the top of my team's elo with the rest below me being utter garbage, obviously having no idea about the games meta. Top is constantly pushed to and camping the opponent's tower, mid lane apc never landed a single skillshot stun, adc bot lane is dying more than I'm able to routinely gank, and support is four kills up on our adc and still feels the need to put that gold towards multiple gold tick items....
That was my reward for positive performance? The elo actually matched me to team with lower caliber players as I rose through it?
The elo system simply does not provide a gratifying experience for solo players. Riot likes this idea of matching teams consisting of a broad range of elo. Which from my experience leaves the outcome of games not to pro-actively played decisions but to the greater of poor decisions made by both teams. Solo queue really is a shot in the dark.
im not saying 1300s a big accomplishment but carrying out of 900 elo out is since u win like 12 elo per game and you are almost guaranteed a troll everygame. But right now im 6/1 in placement matches and I admit the one i loss was cause i was being stupid. And I also played a 4v5 in one of them and won, its not impossible but just a lot harder. another reason its more common to get trolls these games is cause someone on a lower elo with some lucky games gets up pretty easily. Im not saying you control every factor in the game but there are stuff you can do to improve win chance