Why go against the meta?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jeanschyso

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-19-2012

because the meta works so well.

Some people just want to see the world burn. I'm one of them I want to prove that nothing is perfect, and breaking the meta in lol is one way to do it.

PoisonedPeace

11-19-2012

I would say that the meta is pretty optimized.
4 of the 5 champs get a lot of farm and in turn they all play a big role in team fights, and the fifth has ways of getting gold to also contribute in team fights. If you have a few of your friends that can come up with a new strategy that blows away the current meta then go ahead.

If anything changes about the meta, I think it will be the champ selections.

Rawrful

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-19-2012

Nono, everyone here doesn't quite get it perfectly, but that has to do with OP being bad at describing what he means. I agree that 'The Meta' shouldn't be some immovable object that everyone must worship. I mean, I used to main solo mid Ashe back in the day.

But what OP is really intending to say is that in a game of 5 random people who have never seen each other before the 1 minute of picking champions, you rarely have time to devise a non-standard plan. Everyone knows that bruiser top/mage mid/AD+Support bot/Jungler works. It is solid and stable. The enemy might mix things up, but that set up can deal with almost everything.

And in turn, that it is often a better idea to follow that standard pattern than to try to spend that minute figuring out who is going where and playing what to take advantage of a double mage jungle with no smite that intends to only farm the enemy jungle. Or a no jungle tri-lane mid intent on pushing to inhib by 10 minutes.

The non-standard teams can work great, and you see them sometimes in tournaments as specialized strategies, and they work awesome. They are also very hard to pull off in a solo queue type situation. If you have a 5 man premade (Or random yourself an awesome solo queue group), breaking the meta can get you huge benefits. If you are in a game with 4 randoms, don't expect your double jungle to make the Kog that instalocked happy that he has to play without support against a Blitzcrank.

Sam Is Whoa

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshun ******* View Post
It works, so why go against it? It's not there because it doesn't work. It's there because it DOES work. I'm tired of people bringing up stupid team comps and saying "Oh we don't have to follow the meta."

True, you don't, but don't expect me to NOT blame you when we lose. Going against the meta is a horribly stupid idea, and generally doesn't work. Stop being bad. Just play the meta.
Wrong. The meta is there for a guideline to easy solo play. If you aren't going to communicate or synergize then play the meta. If you have teamwork and an understanding of how the game works do what's best. Would clg have won if froggen didn't go lee sin mid because it isn't meta. Or shut down orianna with corki. You would be surprised what you could do if you think outside the box.

Corki top? Works well.
Mundo support? Works well.
Xerath bot? Does good.

It is all relative. Teamwork and communication work wonders.

jokene98

11-19-2012

^post above me is right. have you seen jarvan leona? its really not that bad, as long as both players know what theyre doing. have you seen olaf soraka bot lane? how weird, hes not an ADC. soraka will just cover the early game harass and he can just get farmed, perhaps kills with the help of a jungler with good coordination. by late game, you might have a fed olaf and jax ripping on your ADC before you can react - as long as teamwork is present, you can do anything.

first time Vayne

11-19-2012

Break the meta for funzies. Beating a team with Draven Blitz double jungle is hilarious.

Yourcatmolested

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrful View Post
Nono, everyone here doesn't quite get it perfectly, but that has to do with OP being bad at describing what he means. I agree that 'The Meta' shouldn't be some immovable object that everyone must worship. I mean, I used to main solo mid Ashe back in the day.

But what OP is really intending to say is that in a game of 5 random people who have never seen each other before the 1 minute of picking champions, you rarely have time to devise a non-standard plan. Everyone knows that bruiser top/mage mid/AD+Support bot/Jungler works. It is solid and stable. The enemy might mix things up, but that set up can deal with almost everything.

And in turn, that it is often a better idea to follow that standard pattern than to try to spend that minute figuring out who is going where and playing what to take advantage of a double mage jungle with no smite that intends to only farm the enemy jungle. Or a no jungle tri-lane mid intent on pushing to inhib by 10 minutes.

The non-standard teams can work great, and you see them sometimes in tournaments as specialized strategies, and they work awesome. They are also very hard to pull off in a solo queue type situation. If you have a 5 man premade (Or random yourself an awesome solo queue group), breaking the meta can get you huge benefits. If you are in a game with 4 randoms, don't expect your double jungle to make the Kog that instalocked happy that he has to play without support against a Blitzcrank.
Yeah, basically. If you're with a coordinated group of people, and you devise a working strategy that will beat the meta, go for it. But if you're solo queuing, please don't ruin my chances to win because you want to try some stupid plan that's not going to work without coordination before the match.

Candentis

11-19-2012

Well, has anyone tried Rengar Udyr bot lane. They have so much level one burst it takes Volibear with full defensive masteries and runes just to get back to the tower and recall after getting hit. And that usually doesn't work either.