I want to learn support role, any advice?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dezdez

11-17-2012

I am planning on learning and possibly concentrating on the support role, I have always been mid and the other roles but not support. I would like advice on: Item building, best champions in ranked play, and just all around advice that will be useful. Thank you.

vulgarwolf

11-17-2012

grow a thick skin, if the team its its because of the adc,
if the team loses its because of the support

Godzilla General

11-17-2012

First of all I enjoy your name. Second of all I play support a lot, in my opinion getting the gp10 runes with all other mana regen runes is usually a "decent" all around support page, I dunno, I like it.
It also depends who you're playing for items, I usually start 3 wards, 2 health pots with one mana and mana regen. Then if i'm anyone but Sona, Soraka or Janna I rush heart of gold before phil stone, everyone has their own preference though. I'd just find a friend to play adc and try different combinations with the supports/builds until you're comfortable. I dunno, just my opinions

Pyrodruid

11-18-2012

I main Janna, so my opinions will be bias to he I play her. (I normally run teleport and clarity (This is less optimal for most, but I spell spam more than I should))

You need to be adaptive. To what extent depends on the support you're playing. Rule of thumb is stick with your ADC, though provided it's not going to get your ADC killed or lane pushed too badly, you'll want to roam a little to cover lanes.

If mid/top has been killed, jump there, hold lane until they return or the jungler relieves you. This supplements the low gold you would normally get and also give a great chance to other to gank (support soloing a lane is more likely to get pushed back, between the CC and returning jungler/laner... well you should get it)

Build to your playstyle, not "you're a support you should have X, Y, Z 'cause meta says so". If you can't use an item efficiently it's taking form a limited gold pool. Personally as I roam a lot, so the traditional aura/GP5 builds are less optimal, as such I build AP and movement speed as jumping to where needed, strong clutch shield/heal, minion wave clearing power, works considerably better with my playstyle (Also dropping a shield for more the 1k in late game means people only die if you let them)

You're no good to anyone if you're dead. For the most part do what you can to keep alive, that said there will frequently come times where an ally's life is worth more than your own. Focus on learning how much impact you support provides, if you join the fight how many allies are you likely to save, how many extra kills will you open up, or will you just end up another death with no impact?

And as mentioned, toughen up. You will be unjustly blamed for your teams failures. That said, be sure to thank anyone who acknowledges the impact you bring. It's a give/take relationship.

Ward/communicate/call mias. Should go without saying for all roles.

My Janna build: Boot of Mobility, Athene's Unholy Grail, Mejai's Soulstealer, Rabadon's Deathcap, Lich Bane. 6th item will either be a second Deathcap, WotA or a Banshee's Veil (only if snare/slow/stun is frequent). Gold seals, AP glyphs, magic pen marks, movement Quins.
Pro's: You're fast, between your wards/CC/shield you can get out of most bad spots alive, because of this, you should be able to fully stack the Soulstealer. You can clear a dangerously pushed lane in a single Q and get back into a teamfight without missing a beat. Between your shield and heal you can at times double a squishy's effective HP. Did I mention if they're silly enough to chase you, you're AP is high enough that you CC abilities are an actual threat?

Cons: You are a glass cannon, if you're forced to stop moving you're pretty much dead. Deviates from standard support build enough that you'll draw even more abuse if things go poorly. No aura's, because of this you loose some effect in a team fight once you drop everything, you counter this try diving in a little to present a better target than the rest of your team (high stacked soulstealer + oracle's + no defense = very tempting target), once you catch their attention flee!

Hope that helps.

Kaynore

11-18-2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSHvzZy1YZA

Supports don't have any magic build but a magic playstyle. Don't be fooled into thinking supports do nothing but sit back and buy wards; they determine how your lane functions.

Joe Krake

11-18-2012

Just know one thing. You're only as good as your team is.

pick a support guy, any support guy and role with it. Pair up with a carry (ideal situation) and give him all the last hits and kills. You're pretty much there to insure he doesn't die in laning phase.

Gettting philo stone and HOG is usually what most do to generate money since you don't need all that much. Just enough for wards and items that give AoE stats/actives (like raduins omen for the active or the aegis for the aura)

I Love Slurpees

11-18-2012

follow xpecial on twitter or on facebook, yw

Lokiorin

11-18-2012

When you play support remember: Your job is too keep your ADC safe and farming. That is it. You buy wards, you don't take CS, you get gp10s, if you have to you throw yourself on a grenade to make sure your ADC gets away. If you see a chance to get a kill, communicate with your ADC and create that opportunity. If you survive while your ADC dies... you have failed.

ADC's are like little children. They are helpless, whiny, have questionable bowel control, and must grow up to be useful. Once your ADC is all grown up you can look on like a happy parent and wipe a tear away as the pentas start rolling in.