Carrying as top...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

deirin

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindllapse View Post
you made your team lose by going rumble support rofl

doesn't matter how fed you were, you made your team lose a valuable role with a true support champ
zzzzzzz
unusual support can carry if they get a few kill

and top well...no comment after i met this riven that literally killed 5v1 or my tryn 5v1 in s1...

KissingTheShadow

11-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietBlade View Post
You shove your dumb teammates into objectives after teamfights that go right.
You know when the enemy is too scattered to defend and you rip the essense of victory from them by rallying your champions and leading the charge.
You PLACE WARDS EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT THE SUPPORT
This, right here. If carrying requires you to lead the team, then do it.

ne44to

11-20-2012

^ And how do you prevent your "dumb teammates" from chasing the one surviving enemy after the fight instead of going baron? Trust me, I have tried, and generally failed.
It was recently pointed out to me that when I play adc I am too close too the front... But if I am not there, no poking gets done, and the fight never starts...

Basically what you say works in theory.. but in practise you got "reallly dumb teammates"... atleast in my crappy elo

Kreyni

11-20-2012

Play a hyper carry top like Tryndamere if you insist on top.

Melee carries like Fiora or Yi work well too.

SpyderJ

11-20-2012

There is a very distinct difference between doing well top, and actually knowing what it means for what you have to do to carry for top. Ill preface this by saying your going to have to do it by playing a lane bully with the potential to sway games and turn into a monstrous late game champion. A hyper carry / standard melee carry is going to be borderline impossible to actually do well with top lane for the majority of games. My personal favorite picks being Riven, Yorick, Darius, and Jax. All have massive snowballing potential, are not squishy by any means, and have quite high potential to shut out their lane top.
Since that really is the biggest first thing,
1. Shut down the enemy top, and hard. - your not gonna carry anything if theyre ahead of you. Your looking to carry, you need at the very least for your lane opponent to be a non-issue when you come out of lane or when he tries to swing when hes already behind in CS.

2. Know how to teamfight - Your gonna be going for their carries. Yes all characters have the chance to kite you sure. But flash is NOT always up for them. Jax can close the gap every 5 ish seconds, Yorick just needs to be around, be tanky, ult the carry, and zone their carries. If he gets on someone and is allowed to stay on someone? Perfect nobody should ever underestimate yorick's ability to 1v1 someone. Riven's combo with a relatively descent engage and if fed / well farmed can chunk down and eat a team's carry's alive. On darius if u lay some wards down yourself in some decent spots ( were assuming your support sucks and you have to ward things yourself) A single good pull can change a game, Team fights? your gonna be relatively tanky if you succeeded in lane with kills and farm, if their bruiser / carry jumps on your carries, literally either pull them off or let your team deal with that one underfarmed champion. Darius has the potential with that 550 range on his pull to zone almost anyone. Assuming your not dead instantly, you can possibly land 2-3 pulls in a team fight with a bit of cdr on your build (gets down to 8-10 seconds). Also dont be afraid to blow your ult, I personally could give a **** less if I dont net a kill with that ult every time. Your not there to steal every kill, even tho you want to carry, its more effective to just get your 3-4 stacks off on a carry and ult the hell out of them. Assuming your team has any followthrough damage for a teamfight they'll die and you can move onto putting yourself into a position to deal with a different target than that first carry who is now dead.
(All of this is just brief little bits of what may happen, positioning plays a massive factor, but your looking to carry and this is where ive found my success, and I can only talk about whats worked for me. Anyone can feel free to tell me where im wrong for this but until it doesnt work for me, why fix what aint broke?)

3. You have to be the playmaker and callmaker. You have to be the one to have the map awareness to catch that adc / mid champ that just went bot all by themselves or with one other to farm a bit. You have to be the one to realise that the enemy bot lane just went back, so tell your team to go try for dragon ASAP. You have darius? Pull the fk out of that blue or steal that red depending on which side your on if you see the enemy jungle bottom. 2 champs just got spotted bot lane past 30 or so minutes? Well if they just let you guys have the possibility for a super quick baron then by all means, dont miss up that opportunity. You have to lead the charge for those towers, because if your looking to carry, your often not gonna have someone else on your team who is going to be pushing for those objectives.

4. Last but certainly not least, buy a few extra wards when possible. I dont mean do this as religiously as a support should. However as a match progresses, if you have dont quite well in your lane up there, get those couple extra wards and lay them at some nice positions. Ward their red / blue. Put them at some of the key areas on the map so your team has vision on their team if they try swinging around through jungle.

For being top, its not as simple as (Just get really fed and do a ton of AOE damage like mid. Or ADC where late game they'll have the highest consistent damage output in the game if they can keep the propper positioning in teamfights.

Atzigan

11-21-2012

Top is a really important role, not only because of farming but because if you pull it correctly and leave the top summoner behind you have the ability to counter jungle, go mid and gank go back and gank bot because the enemy is not expecting for that to happen. The only way to carry is to help your lanes win it as well. If you stay farming while your other lanes keep feeding, then you'll more than likely lose.

Zeff520

11-21-2012

Sometimes it's not about getting fed either. Feed your mid, even if they suck a fed mid will beat an un-fed mid. Lead the charge. If you die but can get your team to get the towers or get some enemy champ kills, it's worth it. Even if you are 0 and 10 with 20 assists, it doesn't matter if you win. Be the one to sacrifice for the team. It's not always about you having good kills/deaths.

KnightxSScarlett

11-21-2012

Play Singed. Run circles and spam laugh.

Agent Pwnage

11-21-2012

top soraka u will win

Made in the Bay

11-21-2012

Okay top solo q is quite simple. If you feel that you can play better than your current elo than make sure you don't die b4 your first back (b4 you buy a ward). If you have a faceroll lane (teemo vs darius) make your you get your support to ward top river brush at lvl 1. That way you can abuse your lane dominance. If you have to pick your top b4 your opponent, be sure to have hard-to counter top laners (irelia, ad nid.)
Remember: farm never betrays you, but making plays w/o knowing where the enemy jungler is can ruin you!

So there are a few types of top laners:
1. Split pushers - teemo, nidalee, shen. This is probably the best solo q technique as you force the enemy jungler to focus your lane (relieving pressure for teamates) or you will spiral out of control. Win lane and make sure you can always 1v1 your lane opponent, causing dissaray amongst enemies. This way, you can theoretically continuously stay in your lane the whole game. Once you're pushing to 2nd turret, make sure you buy 2 wards - 1 for river and 1 in their jungle. This allows a 3minute grace period. Whenever enemy teamates try to stop your split push, back off and tell your team to take obj. Note: split push champs/players have to be able to escape ganks and deny enemy early game. When they fall behind, it's hard to become useful. However, say that you're teemo and you go mallet ionic spark madreds, route, who can 1v1 you? Not the ad carry because blind, too tanky for ap carry to burst, you denied your top laner, you can kite jungler. Win.

2. Push and Gank strat. This technique is basically a second jungler. There are 2 types of champs for this.
A. Push hard and invade hard. Singed, udyr, shyv, malphite (max e first), rengar, etc. These characters push their lanes to enemy turret and either deny jungle resources to the enemy or gank mid/bot lane.
B. Deny hard and Roam. Elise, riven, gp. These characters push fairly well but are more chosen as a counterpick. They deny certain types of champs, stalling out enemy late game. Their ganks also provide lots of pressure to mid lane.

3. Farm and Explode strat. Vlad, kennen, irelia, jax, etc. Late game beasts. Focus on your lane and hope for the best. OKAY in solo q but, once again, unless you're duoing w/ your jungler or doing a rank 5v5, you need to make plays elsewhere. In soloq, people don't expect ganks from other laners. Abuse this.