Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Soraka, the Support Monster

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

wildfire393

12-14-2009

Quote:
Leobardis:
Ok, so I just started playing this game, found Soraka, and think she's a wonderful support class. I'm certainly interested to start using this guide and everyone's suggestions, but I have a question for the community:

Because she is so squishy and I tend to be ganked alot as I change lanes to pressure what health/armor items should I be using?

I find that by maxing starfall and infuse early, I don't have a lot of mana issues (my typical spells are clarity and promote at the moment - I'm only level 6 summoner).

What I have been going for early (or at least by mid game) is Warmog's Armor (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/items/view/3083/warmog_s_armor). The components allow Soraka to stay in the lane for far longer (health regen and high health substitutes for wish/healing), and the Warmog's Armor then alows Soraka to get up to 3000+ health and at least allow her to survive prolonged gank attempts.

Perhaps it is because I'm not as skilled and am not facing tremendously skilled opponents, but could anyone give me their opinions on this item for Soraka? am I wasting money? Is Leviathan just as good?

Cheers..

There are two routes to go with Soraka. If you're going aura support, you want to build an Aegis. It gives HP, Armor, and MR (and some attack damage, and these bonuses minus HP to all allies including minions). It's quite a bit cheaper than Warmog's and will have more immediate impact (since it gives 25 Armor/MR, it's effectively extending your life 25% in addition to the HP it gives).
If you go AP Heal Support Soraka, you should be building a Catalyst first, and then into a Rod of ages. It gives a lot of HP (not as much as Warmog's, mind you, but still a lot) as well as boosting the power of your heals to stay in lane.

Honestly, you shouldn't have a problem staying in lane as Soraka, as a combination of Heal and Astral Blessing should keep you pretty well topped off on HP and Infuse will keep more than enough mana flowing.

Warmog's (and Leviathan) are not good items on Soraka because they do nothing for the team, either by raising your healing capabilities or providing auras. Leviathan is probably worse than Warmog's if you're just starting out, because it's a lot harder to max, especially if you're dying.

Leobardis

12-14-2009

kk cheers Wildfire!

One more question (although this is maybe more general): why is the Guardian Angel armor recommended?

Every time I buy the ****ed armor, the only time I need rezzing is when I am ganked, and usually the opponent champions are STILL SURROUNDING ME when I get rezzed, which leads to another gank... =(

Does this item get used in high levels? or is it seriously a waste like I described?

wildfire393

12-14-2009

Quote:
Leobardis:
kk cheers Wildfire!

One more question (although this is maybe more general): why is the Guardian Angel armor recommended?

Every time I buy the ****ed armor, the only time I need rezzing is when I am ganked, and usually the opponent champions are STILL SURROUNDING ME when I get rezzed, which leads to another gank... =(

Does this item get used in high levels? or is it seriously a waste like I described?

I never buy Guardian Angel on Soraka. On the Tanky Support build, you want to pick up aura items first (Soul Shroud, Frozen Heart, Aegis of the Legion) then maybe seal the deal with a Banshee's Veil. It's better to avoid the gank by blocking the initiator spell and gtfoing than getting ganked and just getting ganked again like you said happened to you.
On the AP build, you want Rod of Ages, Archangel's Staff, Rylai's Crystal Scepter, and this is usually as far as you get, because AP items are expensive.

Guardian Angel is expensive and does nothing for your team besides keeping you alive. I could see maybe picking it up as a sixth item on the Aura build (Soul Shroud/Frozen Heart/Aegis/Merc Treads/Banshees/Guardian Angel) if the game ever went that long, but that doesn't really happen.

Leobardis

12-17-2009

Should I be farming with Soraka? has anyone had early game success with jungling? I have found her very potent against golems (not the aura one), wolves and the phantoms (summoner's rift)... I understand her dps is not that high against single targets (even with infuse) but I'm looking to try to make her a bit more tank-ish and harassment.

I pub at the moment with her, and she does seem absolutely great at pushing/pressure, I typically find I need armor more than anything, as mana manip/aegis does not cut it (even soul shroud/aegis does not give her a lot of health).

Is Ryall's anygood with her? I know the slow is lesssened with starfall, but I cannot seem to get enough cash to buy it with the other defensive items first.

EDIT: Looks like the new thornmail might help a lot with survival.

Zenryo

01-09-2010

Quote:
Isamaru:
Honestly not getting starcall at lvl 1 is a mistake. I run only 5 man premades and the biggest thing that helps early gank is starcall lvl 1. i usually get 3 or 4 stacks on both targets at lvl 1 then with a imp exhaust its gg. 9 times out of ten they are both dead by lvl 2. i run with a fiddlesticks in my lane and we dominate our lane every game.

Skills:
1 - Starfall
2 - Infuse
3 - Astral Blessing
4 - Infuse
5 - Astral Blessing
6 - Wish
7 - Astral Blessing
8 - Infuse
9 - Astral Blessing
10 - Infuse
11 - Wish
12 - Astral Blessing
13 - Infuse
14 - Starfall
15 - Starfall
16 - Wish
17 - Starfall
18 - Starfall

As far as summoner spells go Fortify is a must. Second hands down is Cleanse. idk how meny times that spell has saved myself and my team but it is OP. Ive had teams try and cc train me while killing everyone else but so long as Cleanse is up they cant so its gg.

Personally the best setup ive found for my runes is as follows:

Blue: Magic resist
Red: Magic resist
Yellow: Armor
Quint: Health

MR: 38.88 at 18
Arm: 32.94 at 18
Health: 118 at beginning

I end up with 800 health right off the bat and build into Leviathan (Really OP) from there its gg no one can kill me after i start stacking it up.

1. Ruby Crystal
2. Leviathan
3. Aegis of the Legion
4. Ninja Tabi / Mercury's Treads
5. Soul Shroud
6. Frozen Heart / Banshee's Veil
7. Guardian Angel

This build gives you tons of health tons of MR and Armor. Ap simply sucks because you will be focused and a dead char is a worthless char.

Honestly, I love this approach. Every time I played Soraka without defense masteries and huge defensive items, I end up going 0/infinity/slightly more then 0. With this approach I find myself being able to survive, and harass harder with starfall...

However, apart from being able to survive major ganks, I feel that I can't stop my party members from the same. Have you thought about putting a mejais in to get your AP up (or some other item, like Rylais or Zhonyas even), instead of Guardian Angel for example (which I find useless in 90% of the games since all the rest around you is dead when you get back up and then they gank you anyway)... I'll keep practicing and toying around with this however, as for now I find it the best approach.

Mr Mojo Risin

01-12-2010

Thanks for this guide. Soraka is tremendously fun to play and your tips were very well thought out and work quite well. <3

Miiu

Adjudicator

01-12-2010

Quote:
Zenryo:

However, apart from being able to survive major ganks, I feel that I can't stop my party members from the same. Have you thought about putting a mejais in to get your AP up (or some other item, like Rylais or Zhonyas even), instead of Guardian Angel for example (which I find useless in 90% of the games since all the rest around you is dead when you get back up and then they gank you anyway)... I'll keep practicing and toying around with this however, as for now I find it the best approach.

Bought Soraka 2 days ago and played her a few times since. Somehow I really like this champion but I have the same problem Zenryo has. During the first 15 minutes I usually dominate the lane with my partner but after that its usually hard to tell if Soraka is even in the game anymore. The dmg is pretty low (which is fine because of the support role) but even there its hard to notice. I'm usually the last man standing after a gank not because I ran aways but because I stayed in the second row and tried to keep my team alive. After that I usually get the response "why didn't you help" ( well a bit more rude :P).

I must be doing something majorly wrong because in this thread most of you praise Soraka for her support role. I'll continue practicing with her but it gets really frustrating most of the time

Cynai

02-16-2010

This is one of the best guides I've ever read - I'm currently on a 5 game winning streak playing with this guide.

The most important part of this guide (IMHO) was the item build, strategy section, and skill build. Although it probably doesn't work in low ELO games because of the lack of semi-competent laning partners, I doubt this guide was written for low ELO games.

From most of the feedback that I've read in the thread it seems that people are suffering a lack of a "presence" of Soraka since she doesnt really have the ability to heal that well or do much damage, but here is where I found her presence:

Like the OP stated, her presence is somewhat global - she goes off into lanes by herself (obviously not when there are 1+ opponents MIA) while the team fights are occuring, and she pushes a lane all the way in about ~30 seconds with Aegis of the Legion. This results in the team having to chose between losing a turret or going to kill you - when they come to gank you you just switch lanes and push another. All the time you are waiting to fortify / wish whenever your allies are in trouble. The fact that you level Q so early allows you to destroy minions unbelievably fast, its just ridiculous - 3 presses of Q / wave.

When the lanes are pushed enough (so much that pushing them further would mean greatly reducing the benefit / risk ratio, ie. you would DEFINITELY die if you pushed, and cause little to no harassment in the process), you jsut group up with your team and rock their disablers with ur silence, while providing excellent support for ur team with heal, W, mana restore, wish, aegis, frozen heart, soul shroud, and the ability to wreck any minion waves in ~2 seconds.

Very well done OP, +1.

Miiu

Adjudicator

02-17-2010

With the recent nerf to Executioners isn't full ap more viable?

Benoit

Recruiter

02-21-2010

Hi, is this guide up to date?