Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Soraka, the Support Monster

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Carom

12-03-2009

AP wasn't a strong stat to begin with on Soraka but I find it more acceptable now, just later in a game and not something to bumrush.

I agree though that leviathan should be one of the very first choices for Soraka. I lane with a Shaco nearly all the time so kills/assists roll in regularly.

As for -CD it's the most important stat beyond health/mana for Soraka. 40% drops Astral Blessing to a 5.4 second cast from 9, Starcall to a 1.8, Infuse to a 9, and Wish to 36 seconds. That's powerful.

wildfire393

12-03-2009

Quote:
Carom:
AP wasn't a strong stat to begin with on Soraka but I find it more acceptable now, just later in a game and not something to bumrush.

I agree though that leviathan should be one of the very first choices for Soraka. I lane with a Shaco nearly all the time so kills/assists roll in regularly.

As for -CD it's the most important stat beyond health/mana for Soraka. 40% drops Astral Blessing to a 5.4 second cast from 9, Starcall to a 1.8, Infuse to a 9, and Wish to 36 seconds. That's powerful.

The problem I have with Leviathan is that all it does is help a little bit in keeping you alive. Soraka is first and foremost a support character. Before you worry about keeping yourself alive, you need to worry about actually having an impact in a team fight. This means that you need to stack aura items (Aegis, Frozen Heart, Soul Shroud) and Cooldown (Frozen Heart, Soul Shroud) to spam your abilities more. I don't get anything else but boots (which I will often even hold off on upping to merc treads) until I have completed these three items. Thankfully, these items also give Soraka quite a bit of survivability, and after they are acquired you're free to do what you want on Soraka. Money/time allowing, I usually get a Banshee's Veil, by which point you're practically invulnerable. If that's not enough for you, feel free to get Guardian Angel or Quicksilver Sash for yet another get-out-of-jail-free card. Alternately, rather than get survival items, you can keep stacking aura effects, picking up Stark's Fervor, Innervating Locket, and/or Abyssal Scepter. Check to see what your allies do or do not have.

But really, the core of the Soraka build is

1. (Start) Mana Manip
2. (First Back) Aegis if you can buy the whole thing, else Boots and as much of Aegis as you can get
3. (Second Back) Finish Aegis if it is not done, finish Merc Treads
4. Glacial Shroud
5. Up Glacial Shroud to Frozen Heart
6. Up Mana Manip to Soul Shroud

This gives a solid amount of HP/Armor/MR, 40% cooldown reduction, and 3 handy auras, which is honestly all you need.

Carom

12-03-2009

As a support character you need to survive. Leviathan is a great way to do that, especially at 20 stacks giving you a 15% damage reduction. On average I've been able to get the 20 stacks by level 13-16, depending on how aggressive the teams play plus the random ganks. At max it's 965 health, 15% damage reduction.

Since the team I play with covers Frozen Heart and Stark's Fervor I generally pick up the Aegis and Shroud.

My general start build is:

1. Ruby Crystal or a Mana Manipulator (due to increase Astral costs, Mana Manip is preferable.) (475g)
2. First trip back, finish or start Leviathan and purchase Boots of Speed. (950g-1425g)
3. Start/finish Aegis of the Legion and Mercury Treads. (2775g)
4. Start/finish Soul Shroud (1850g-2325g)
5. Innervating Locket
6. Rylai's Scepter or ???.

Aegis is usually up in time for the team battles and gank squads and those just empower the Leviathan I picked up earlier.

wildfire393

12-04-2009

So today I played some Premades, rather than the pubs I've been playing a lot of Soraka with. Seems like in Premades just stacking auras and pushing towers down easily doesn't cut it. In these games, it's less about your amazing farming power and more about keeping your carry alive in team fights. To this end, I've been tinkering with a slightly different build:

Skills:
1 - Starfall
2 - Infuse
3 - Astral Blessing
4 - Infuse
5 - Infuse
6 - Wish
7 - Astral Blessing
8 - Infuse
9 - Astral Blessing
10 - Infuse
11 - Wish
12 - Infuse
13 - Astral Blessing
14-15 - Starfall
16 - Wish
17-18 Starfalll

One rank of Starfall lets you pick up more last hits than just autoattaking. Infuse keeps that going through level 3, then you add in Astral for the healing. Bump up Infuse a bit more, then take wish earlier, as you reach the team battle stage a lot sooner in premades.

As for items, I'm still working on it, but I'm thinking

1. Ruby Crystal
2. Kage's Lucky Pick
3. Catalyst -> Rod of Ages
4. Boots -> Eventually Merc Treads
5. Rylai's
6. Archangel's Staff
7. Kage's -> Deathfire Grasp

AP stacks a lot better going full heals than it does going pusher. Rod and Rylai's give you some survivability, Rylai's and Deathfire give you something else to do while your heals are on Cooldown.

Still working on Masteries/Runes for this build, but probably more Cooldown from them as I won't be picking up too much myself. Hopefully the tank of the team can pick up a Soul Shroud. Together with Deathfire Grasp and a 10% between runes and Masteries, this gives max. I guess for Masteries you'd got 9/21/0, picking up Archmage's Savvy, Sorcery, and Ardor as some key ones.

Carom

12-04-2009

I thought you did more pugs than premades, didn't like your build from the start ^_^. Instead of going Starcall in the beginning try going Astral Blessing. You'll notice leaps and bounds in the aggression your lane can put out early game.

wildfire393

12-04-2009

Quote:
Carom:
I thought you did more pugs than premades, didn't like your build from the start ^_^. Instead of going Starcall in the beginning try going Astral Blessing. You'll notice leaps and bounds in the aggression your lane can put out early game.

I tried not taking Starfall early, but without it Last hitting becomes much more difficult. Soraka's Autoattack is long ranged, but not very fast moving/firing, meaning you're really reliant on at least ONE level of Starfall ASAP to farm with. You can probably pull off Starfall/Astral/Infuse/Infuse/Infuse for your first five points, assuming you're conservative on Starfall spams so your mana stays up until you get Infuse going. Starfall also gives Soraka her biggest damage boost at first level, which is handy for harassment and early ganks.

One other thing to consider for Premades is to take Teleport over Heal. With earlier Astral, Heal become less of a necessity, and teleport gives you much more mobility, allowing you to delay your boots longer (focusing instead on AP items to help the team with heals).

Carom

12-04-2009

I wait for Starcall until level three, it's really imperative to have the heal at level one and then picking up Infuse at level two. With Astral at level one you can really push/gank a lane with your partner, usually scoring a kill or two easily. The 80 health and 35 armor is very beneficial and cannot be overlooked.

The money isn't a big issue, that is why Starcall can wait.

Also, I find that Teleport and Heal to be spells you wouldn't wish to take on Soraka. Teleport has its uses I'll give it that yet they are reduced to porting to mushrooms, jack in the boxes, various sight wards, and random minions (you can't really rely on your towers). It is also disruptable by fears, knocked airborn, and stuns. Heal is worse than teleport honestly. The best spells are Ghost, Rally, Flash, and Cleanse.

Isamaru

12-11-2009

Quote:
Carom:
I wait for Starcall until level three, it's really imperative to have the heal at level one and then picking up Infuse at level two. With Astral at level one you can really push/gank a lane with your partner, usually scoring a kill or two easily. The 80 health and 35 armor is very beneficial and cannot be overlooked.

The money isn't a big issue, that is why Starcall can wait.

Also, I find that Teleport and Heal to be spells you wouldn't wish to take on Soraka. Teleport has its uses I'll give it that yet they are reduced to porting to mushrooms, jack in the boxes, various sight wards, and random minions (you can't really rely on your towers). It is also disruptable by fears, knocked airborn, and stuns. Heal is worse than teleport honestly. The best spells are Ghost, Rally, Flash, and Cleanse.

Honestly not getting starcall at lvl 1 is a mistake. I run only 5 man premades and the biggest thing that helps early gank is starcall lvl 1. i usually get 3 or 4 stacks on both targets at lvl 1 then with a imp exhaust its gg. 9 times out of ten they are both dead by lvl 2. i run with a fiddlesticks in my lane and we dominate our lane every game.

Skills:
1 - Starfall
2 - Infuse
3 - Astral Blessing
4 - Infuse
5 - Astral Blessing
6 - Wish
7 - Astral Blessing
8 - Infuse
9 - Astral Blessing
10 - Infuse
11 - Wish
12 - Astral Blessing
13 - Infuse
14 - Starfall
15 - Starfall
16 - Wish
17 - Starfall
18 - Starfall

As far as summoner spells go Fortify is a must. Second hands down is Cleanse. idk how meny times that spell has saved myself and my team but it is OP. Ive had teams try and cc train me while killing everyone else but so long as Cleanse is up they cant so its gg.

Personally the best setup ive found for my runes is as follows:

Blue: Magic resist
Red: Magic resist
Yellow: Armor
Quint: Health

MR: 38.88 at 18
Arm: 32.94 at 18
Health: 118 at beginning

I end up with 800 health right off the bat and build into Leviathan (Really OP) from there its gg no one can kill me after i start stacking it up.

1. Ruby Crystal
2. Leviathan
3. Aegis of the Legion
4. Ninja Tabi / Mercury's Treads
5. Soul Shroud
6. Frozen Heart / Banshee's Veil
7. Guardian Angel

This build gives you tons of health tons of MR and Armor. Ap simply sucks because you will be focused and a dead char is a worthless char.

Heske

12-11-2009

I am a great healer and have actually had games 5/0/4 before (which isn't that good with any other champ, but hard to kill with soraka).
Anyway, I usually have ghost and heal as my two spells and go for catalyst first. Getting that extra 200 mana early game really helps.

I get Astral Blessing first and continue to lvl it up as often as possible. after that get the mana revival/silencing spell(I forgot the name lolz). The first and foremost thing is to heal allys. Starcall is good for third attack maybe, so you can get gold, but in the long run healing a tank that repeatedly kills the enemy champs in your lane is awesome. just slay the minions and you should be fine. Kill stealing is good money too. Lol.
People won't hate you for it because of the numerous heals you do. If they do hate you....screw them.

Wish is a must because it's a world map heal. Let me repeat that. A world map heal. This is how you know you're a good healer. Save your Wish for those times when you are defending a lane and you notice your allys on the other side of the screen almost can kill that enemy champ, but they're all almost dead themselves. Then use it.
It's so funny.
Especially when someone is thinking they can gank those guys because they're almost dead. NOT! Double kills for everyone. YAY!

In the beginning of the game make sure to tell allys that your heal has 9 sec cooldown. They'll keep that in mind before chewing your ass off with "full mana No heal?" comments. A healer can only do so much.
Cooldown usually kills mid-lvl tanks.

I continue to build catalyst to eventually get locket, but I usually get mercury treads after building catalyst. It really depends on who is in your lane. Faster characters like Yi are squishy at the beginning, but fast. Therefore, getting the mercury treads is awesome, because of sor's range.

The ghost attack is soooo good for running away, but it is awesome to run faster than the group of 5 champs chasing an ally. You just out-run the group and turn to heal, (after cooldown), the ally until he/she makes it to safety.

Don't be afraid to help out with two or three moon-throwy attack.
XD You'll be surprised how many kills you can steal.
SOR IS NOT A GANKER! Stick to healing please. There is nothing more pathetic than a sor that runs in to tank a turret. No good.
If you don't die and don't make any kills you are still a good sor. Your job is to heal and not die. Period.

I haven't tried this yet, but am going to as soon as the servers are up. AP power build?
Her starrcall "Q" move hits friggin everything. 3 sec cooldown is sweet. I was thinking about trying to **** up someone's base while late game destroying is going down. We'll see.
Anyway, I hope this is helpful to some people. I noticed many people say soraka suck, but...they are just not good support people. :P
Go support some people. And be happy.

Leobardis

12-14-2009

Ok, so I just started playing this game, found Soraka, and think she's a wonderful support class. I'm certainly interested to start using this guide and everyone's suggestions, but I have a question for the community:

Because she is so squishy and I tend to be ganked alot as I change lanes to pressure what health/armor items should I be using?

I find that by maxing starfall and infuse early, I don't have a lot of mana issues (my typical spells are clarity and promote at the moment - I'm only level 6 summoner).

What I have been going for early (or at least by mid game) is Warmog's Armor (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/items/view/3083/warmog_s_armor). The components allow Soraka to stay in the lane for far longer (health regen and high health substitutes for wish/healing), and the Warmog's Armor then alows Soraka to get up to 3000+ health and at least allow her to survive prolonged gank attempts.

Perhaps it is because I'm not as skilled and am not facing tremendously skilled opponents, but could anyone give me their opinions on this item for Soraka? am I wasting money? Is Leviathan just as good?

Cheers..