Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Soraka, the Support Monster

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ressa

11-25-2009

My favorite laning partner is actually Nasus. Soraka + Nasus can completely shut down most enemy champ combos and make them tower hug forever.

Getting harassed by crazy range Soraka auto attacks, starcalls, and spirit fires from an infinite mana Nasus is brutal.

Also what is this nonsense about Soraka getting to level 18?

wildfire393

11-25-2009

Quote:
warmonkey:
locket + mercs + abyssal + cloth armor (thornmail if ashe or yi is present) and you win! the abyssal works with the MR debuff from starcall, dumb melee carries will beat on you until they die because they're too good to buy MR gear and it'll take one or two starcalls to get them into negative MR, at which point they're taking more than 20% of their melee damage from the thornmail and you're at ~150 armor and only taking 33% of their damage. That's almost equal, and toss in starcall and infuse and you can 1v1 yi. ashe not so much because ashe's range is greater than starcall.

You wind up with a decent HP pool, and over 100 armor and magic resist, your AP isn't that big BUT you contribute a LOT to group fights -- innervating locket and you being soraka means that if the fight lasts longer than the initial burst and ability dump, *your team will win*. Abyssal scepter and starcall make it a lot easier for the rest of your team to kill people, and nets you tons of assists.. and tons of kill steals too hehe. Might not be the best to steal a sure kill from your melee carry, but if it happens it happens -- and with this build, pretty much all your gold is being used to buy items that are useful for the team and keep you alive. you'll probably be the first target.

A couple of notes about this:

Scepter does % Magic Resist Penetration. % MPen is always applied after flat MPen. So if you starfall four times and lower their MR from 50 to 10, the 40% reduction applies to that 10 and lowers it to six, it does not apply to the original 50, lowering it to -20. Additionally, the Scepter's MPen is not an aura (a la stark's), it merely applies on magic attacks you use.

Thornmail's Reflective capabilities only apply to the damage you ACTUALLY take, much like Lifeleech. So if you reduce 100 damage to 33, they take 20% of that, taking 6ish per hit on you, they don't take 20 per attack.

Thornmail isn't a bad replacement for Bashee's Veil or as your sixth item against a mostly physical team, but I think I'd prefer Sunfire Cape. It's damage output is probably a little higher, given that you'll have stacked over 300 Armor by this point (base 75 + frozen heart's 110 + aegis's 35 + blessing's 30 + Sunfire's 50), and 500 HP is worth more defensively than an extra 20 armor. Warden's Mail is probably also better than Thornmail if someone is focus firing on you. Solid chance of -20% move and attack speeds when you get hit, especially when that stack's with Frozen Heart's -25% attack speed, can really nerf the attacking champion.

In terms of a single AP Item, I would strongly suggest Rylai's Scepter over Abyssal Scepter. Being able to stack a group slow with Starfall or a targeted extreme slow with infuse can again be very beneficial to your team, while Abyssal only serves to slightly (as you will already be lowering their MR by a flat amount from starfall) increase the damage of your spells, which is not what you aim to do. Also, with max -CD, you can have Rylai's slow up almost the entire time (1.5 seconds per starfall with a cooldown of 1.8 seconds).

Damoclese

11-25-2009

To expound with Rassa: Being focused down really sucks… I mean you got all these tanks and they constantly try to beat the breaks outa Soraka.. That said: an issue with the whole Soul Shroud vs. Locket thing would be the price. Locket is so dang expensive for one of your first 3 items $/… That catalyst really helps you to be aggressive. When I am vs some people I don’t even bother hitting creeps, I just hit them opposing champ because I can, every time he comes on screen, being very careful not to get jumped btw. Catalyst into locket helps with that more than a Soul Shroud imo. However, you can get the SS a lot sooner than the Locket which is pretty crazy in its own right… Just my thoughts. I am not particularly pro or anything. Not lie this game has replays yet so we can see whats really good in upper levels.

I think I will rerune my Quints into speed instead of % reduct since it has a wack cap...

warmonkey

11-25-2009

Actually, you're thinking of Void Staff which is 40% MR pen, Abyssal is actually a -20 MR debuff aura -- it also debuffs creep, too, so they all start at -20 MR.
And they fixed Thornmail a patch or two ago so it reflects the damage you take *before* armor, so that it's more useful the more armor you have rather than more armor being counterproductive.

Rylai's is good, but now that item slows don't stack I've found it's really not that useful. Starcall only puts a 15% snare on them for 1.5 seconds, and if they've been hit with another item slow they won't even get that little bit.. but the abyssal will cause them to die a lot faster. It's also a fair shake closer, and I prefer (for the most part) to stack resists rather than raw HP with soraka.

I grab thornmail because it's cheap basically, sorta a last item that if they have melee items is real cheap. Cloth armor's a good investment that's easy to make early, Warden's Mail would also be a good choice tbh.. doesn't really matter, important part is "item what with that stuff that makes you not die immediately to things hitting you".

RyuuKitten

Recruiter

11-25-2009

Some nitpicks:

Shroud+Frozen Heart is only 40% CD reduction for you, it's 25% Att speed redux to enmies and 15% CD redux to alllies.

Locket is amazing, especially in team fights. it makes star call 250HP and 100 Mana, every 3 seconds. That's pretty amazing.

It isn't a waste if your teammate gets aegis as well, they stack as long as they're on different champions.

I don't like frozen heart on soraka, I think 15% CD redux is perfectly fine.

My usual build:

Merc Treads
Locket
Soul Shroud
Aegis
Banshee's Veil
Rylai's Crystal Scepter

wildfire393

11-26-2009

Quote:
Ryuujinx:
Some nitpicks:

Shroud+Frozen Heart is only 40% CD reduction for you, it's 25% Att speed redux to enmies and 15% CD redux to alllies.

Locket is amazing, especially in team fights. it makes star call 250HP and 100 Mana, every 3 seconds. That's pretty amazing.

It isn't a waste if your teammate gets aegis as well, they stack as long as they're on different champions.

I don't like frozen heart on soraka, I think 15% CD redux is perfectly fine.

My usual build:

Merc Treads
Locket
Soul Shroud
Aegis
Banshee's Veil
Rylai's Crystal Scepter

Yeah, the first post will be adjusted with the actual implementation of Frozen Heart on my next update.

Aegis and other Auras stack kind of. If you have Aegis and an ally has Aegis, you'll both get the bonus twice, but everyone else only gets it once.

I've tried locket a few times and I've tried Shroud a few times. I think I prefer the shroud. Locket is good, but Shroud gets you going faster.'

Frozen Heart is so good on Soraka because it provides 25% CD reduction (which massively increases your output of both healing and damage), 110 Armor (which makes you nearly invincible to physical damage), and -25% attack speed to enemies in an aura, which even further nerfs their autoattackers. The only time I wouldn't pick it up is if the other team was 4+ casters, in which case I'd probably take Veil first and sub in another godly MR item like Force of Nature, so I could rock the 300+ MR.

@Warmonkey:Abyssal Scepter isn't bad if you go the Thornmail/Sunfire route. I may have to try out Thornmail at least to see if it auto-rapes autoattackers as it seems like it would with the wording you say it has. With all of the Armor I end up with I can actually take most autoattackers one on one, but adding some extra oomph could seal the deal there.

Doggiecakes

11-26-2009

What type of combo's do high end ELO Soraka players lane with? (or do people not use Soraka high end?)

Of course any lane partner would be happy with Soraka there, but through my limited combo'ing with a buddy, we did best with Soraka's unlimted mana with Sion/Soraka because it had the right amount of the following.

-push ability
-tanking ability
-hard cc
-mutiple (mana hungry) damage abilities

I've tried magic carry and phys carry with Soraka but it seemed like it just made the carries really efficient harassers but not monsterous like it worked out with Sion.

So I'm looknig at tank or hybrid tanks as our best bet combos; something like Nassus/Soraka, Ammu/Soraka, Allistar/Soraka or Sion/Soraka. Is this doing it right?

wildfire393

11-26-2009

Quote:
Doggiecakes:
What type of combo's do high end ELO Soraka players lane with? (or do people not use Soraka high end?)

Of course any lane partner would be happy with Soraka there, but through my limited combo'ing with a buddy, we did best with Soraka's unlimted mana with Sion/Soraka because it had the right amount of the following.

-push ability
-tanking ability
-hard cc
-mutiple (mana hungry) damage abilities

I've tried magic carry and phys carry with Soraka but it seemed like it just made the carries really efficient harassers but not monsterous like it worked out with Sion.

So I'm looknig at tank or hybrid tanks as our best bet combos; something like Nassus/Soraka, Ammu/Soraka, Allistar/Soraka or Sion/Soraka. Is this doing it right?

I'm not very high up in ELO, but I can voice on some partners that have worked well:

Rammus and Malphite are very effective. Between your Aura, your W, and your items, you make them much better tanks. And they can convert the armor you grant them to damage with some of their abilities. Additionally, their hard disables and slows help greatly in getting ganks, as you have some trouble with that alone. Especially as both of these (and Soraka) are good high ELO characters, this seems like a pretty no-brainer combo.

Other than that, I'd suggest a Mage. Veigar, Annie, Ryze, Morgana, Cardmaster, AP Teemo. etc. Someone like Alistar is not recommended, because his damage output just isn't high enough. Soraka does not have great damage output. Additionally, having a second support means you'll be fighting over who's going to pick up which aura items (though it does free you up to get some more non-aura items, if you wanted to try something like AP Soraka)

warmonkey

11-26-2009

Basically, get a lane partner with CC, because you have none and you're squishy. Good CC. Tanky types.. Sion, Malphite, Amumu, Cho, Morgana, Annie, Blitz, Nunu, Anivia, more.. works best when they have good magical damage, so you get good mileage out of the starcall debuff, you can get some silly easy ganks if people get careless.

Benoit

Recruiter

11-28-2009

is there a way to use 9/0/21 and - % Cooldown runes and be effective with Soraka?

If so, what are the items list (and order) for that kind of build?