[Guide] Soraka, the Support Monster

1234567 ... 11
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

medlish

11-24-2009

Yep, nice guide. The first few matches I never really paid attention to Q but now that I tried the guide Q seems really useful.

Labomba

11-24-2009

Quote:
She is NOT: Capable of holding an early lane by herself (not a solo champion)
While she should not really be solo, she is one of the easiest champions to not only hold a lane, but push as well. Starcall is pretty amazing for taking down creep waves, and her super long range attack allows for easy harassment of melee, while keeping a safe distance. Having atleast one rank of W and E guarantees that she can stay in a lane for as long as she wants. Even 1v2 lane matchups aren't really an issue so long as you are knowledgeable about your opponents abilities (ie, Blitz rocket grab).

OneEyedDevil

11-24-2009

Frozen Heart + Soul Shroud = 40% CD reduction for you, and 15% for allies. The CD reduction from Frozen Heart is not an aura (at least to my knowledge) so you are not providing your allies with max CD reduction, merely 15% of it. Still a very nice group bonus but saying you give your allies max CD reduction is a bit misleading.

If I'm incorrect about Frozen Heart, then I apologize.

Edit: Excellent guide for an awesome champion by the way. Kudos.

Damoclese

11-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEyedDevil View Post
Frozen Heart + Soul Shroud = 40% CD reduction for you, and 15% for allies. The CD reduction from Frozen Heart is not an aura (at least to my knowledge) so you are not providing your allies with max CD reduction, merely 15% of it. Still a very nice group bonus but saying you give your allies max CD reduction is a bit misleading.

If I'm incorrect about Frozen Heart, then I apologize.

Edit: Excellent guide for an awesome champion by the way. Kudos.

FH does not spread the CD reduct. It reduces the enime attack speed by 25%. Its really lame that this cap exists.. I feel lie I should rerune into HP / armor or something non caped...

IPlaySoraka

11-24-2009

Pretty good guide, but innervating locket is actually pretty strong on Soraka. I agree with frozen heart but I would skip soul shroud and get something like guardian angel instead. Also I suggest going with a MR book instead of health/regen. You get plenty of that from items, your heal (always leave it at level 1 until later), and defensive mastery.

Jozen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-24-2009

I stopped reading after this:
"Soraka is NOT:
Capable of taking on any enemy lategame 1v1
An effective ganker
Naturally very tank-y
Capable of holding an early lane by herself (not a solo champion)
Recommended if you want to play the carry for your team
Very good with Innervating Locket"

You've apparently never seen DarkLordJoseph or DanDinh play Soraka.

I recommend you do more research on Soraka before posting a definite list of what Soraka is not. This list is obviously clouded by your limited exposure to good Soraka players.

Ethernia

11-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozen View Post
I stopped reading after this:
"Soraka is NOT:
Capable of taking on any enemy lategame 1v1
An effective ganker
Naturally very tank-y
Capable of holding an early lane by herself (not a solo champion)
Recommended if you want to play the carry for your team
Very good with Innervating Locket"

You've apparently never seen DarkLordJoseph or DanDinh play Soraka.

I recommend you do more research on Soraka before posting a definite list of what Soraka is not. This list is obviously clouded by your limited exposure to good Soraka players.
Actualy.. all those are true for new players (which the guide is aimed at, as indicated by the starting paragraph) apart from perhaps the locket, which arguably has its uses.

I recommend you read the guide to realise who it is aimed at.

Merovinge

11-24-2009

Locket is pretty amazing on soraka, and Catalyst (its build up) is hands down the best item in LoL. I dont even remember a Champion I don't build a catalyst on and you will see >1/2 of all the champions get atleast 1 in high elo games.

Aegis is rightly be touted as gamebreakingly amazing, and it is. It's being nerfed, but it will still be a great item. Nothing wrong at all with getting boots/aegis before locket is complete, but the sheer regen of locket for your entire team wins any extended team fight by itself.

The reason why baron was/is so nuts (outside of the crazy gold/exp), is the huge regen. Locket soraka gives this kinda regen to your team on demand.

Hopefully more support champions will crop up over time, Soraka is a great design, despite being the most hated champion for a large chunk of beta.

wildfire393

11-24-2009

My mistake, I assumed that the Frozen Heart's Cooldown reduction was an aura because it was grouped in with another effect that is an enemy-effecting aura (similar to Stark's).

warmonkey

11-25-2009

locket + mercs + abyssal + cloth armor (thornmail if ashe or yi is present) and you win! the abyssal works with the MR debuff from starcall, dumb melee carries will beat on you until they die because they're too good to buy MR gear and it'll take one or two starcalls to get them into negative MR, at which point they're taking more than 20% of their melee damage from the thornmail and you're at ~150 armor and only taking 33% of their damage. That's almost equal, and toss in starcall and infuse and you can 1v1 yi. ashe not so much because ashe's range is greater than starcall.

You wind up with a decent HP pool, and over 100 armor and magic resist, your AP isn't that big BUT you contribute a LOT to group fights -- innervating locket and you being soraka means that if the fight lasts longer than the initial burst and ability dump, *your team will win*. Abyssal scepter and starcall make it a lot easier for the rest of your team to kill people, and nets you tons of assists.. and tons of kill steals too hehe. Might not be the best to steal a sure kill from your melee carry, but if it happens it happens -- and with this build, pretty much all your gold is being used to buy items that are useful for the team and keep you alive. you'll probably be the first target.

1234567 ... 11